3DCoat Forums

I still keep getting plenty of holes when sculpting in surface mode with standard surface- and LiveClay tools. Is there a chance that it will be fixed eventually and once and for all?

Edited by ajz3d

I still keep getting plenty of holes when sculpting in surface mode with standard surface- and LiveClay tools. Is there a chance that it will be fixed eventually and once and for all?

could you be more descriptive (show screenshots of wireframe,explain which tools are used (detail level ect..)

I sculpt in surface mode every day(Liveclayy,RemoveStretching) and I dont remember the last time I had any sorts of holes....

could you be more descriptive (show screenshots of wireframe,explain which tools are used (detail level ect..)

I sculpt in surface mode every day(Liveclayy,RemoveStretching) and I dont remember the last time I had any sorts of holes....

Of course, Artman. Pardon for the vagueness of my post. I was going to write a longer version later, during a break.

I'm currently sculpting some stone objects. They have noise applied to their surface (with Noise tool). I'm using Rapid2 brush with Remove Stretching to carve their edges and every now and then I get a hole or self-intersecting areas which I then have to fix (with Fill Holes or smoothing - if it's a self-intersecting surface):

post-12523-0-73392700-1438953930_thumb.j

post-12523-0-88820400-1438953934_thumb.j

post-12523-0-11050700-1438953938_thumb.j

Yesterday I was trying out some different configurations of cracks on the rocks. To make the cracks I used General Clay tool (with some noise, but it produced some intersections. So I enabled detection of Self Intersections, but like I described in one of my earlier posts, it generated holes and spikes.

Finally, from time to time (well, rarely) during brushing I get small areas of dense triangle concentration that only CleanClay can fix.

Edited by ajz3d

Of course, Artman. Pardon the vagueness of my post. I was going to write a longer version later, during a break.

I'm currently sculpting some stone objects. They have noise applied to their surface (with Noise tool). I'm using Rapid2 brush with Remove Stretching to carve their edges and every now and then I get a hole or self-intersecting areas which I then have to fix (with Fill Holes or smoothing - if it's a self-intersecting surface):

attachicon.gifrapid2_hole1.jpg

attachicon.gifrapid2_hole2.jpg

attachicon.gifrapid2_intersecting_surface.jpg

Yesterday I was trying out some different configurations of cracks on the rocks. To make the cracks I used General Clay tool (with some noise, but it produced some intersections. So I enabled detection of Self Intersections, but like I described in one of my earlier posts, it generated holes and spikes.

Finally, from time to time (well, rarely) during brushing I get small areas of dense triangle concentration that only CleanClay can fix.

I suspect noise to be the culprit.

Also General Clay is a pretty unsafe/experimental tool...self-detection is also pretty experimental (not tested/used by many users)

and it also makes your brush super slow (probably why most users stay away from it)....

If you can catch one brush stroke that create a hole,undo and send file to Andrew with instruction on what brush to use at a particular area to generate hole he might be able to reproduce and fix.

What I recommend if you dont want to wait for a fix (which may never happen)

-Use Noise tool.

-Convert to voxels (yes file is gonna be heavy to capture all noise details)

-Return to Surface mode to keep sculpting (Remove strtching is very safe)

-Avoid General Brush and self-detection

But generally "sculpting" with Remove strecthing and most Liveclay brushes (liveclay,Creaseclay ect...) is pretty solid.

But its also easy to force self-intersection by keeping pressure on the brush intensively without releasing the brush and letting RS do its magic.

If you intend to do this, voxel mode is better suited.

• Like 1

- UDIM export tiles order corrected, now it corresponds to original placement of tiles.

- Sketch tool got more precise painting - shape size exactly corresponds to pen size and lasso painting, no more inward extrusion.

- Click to pick restored in transform tool

- To main axis/to center mass in pose tool

- Updated description in Sketch tool, fixed little problems there.

- Included all OpenCL changes

I am deeply in refactoring process, trying to be very safe, testing all changes carefully, but need your tests.

I really want to make stable build because 4.5.03 has serious retopo snapping problems.

• Like 6

Thanks for the UDIM fix Andrew. I appreciate your attention to that issue.

I suspect noise to be the culprit.

Also General Clay is a pretty unsafe/experimental tool...self-detection is also pretty experimental (not tested/used by many users)

and it also makes your brush super slow (probably why most users stay away from it)....

If you can catch one brush stroke that create a hole,undo and send file to Andrew with instruction on what brush to use at a particular area to generate hole he might be able to reproduce and fix.

What I recommend if you dont want to wait for a fix (which may never happen)

-Use Noise tool.

-Convert to voxels (yes file is gonna be heavy to capture all noise details)

-Return to Surface mode to keep sculpting (Remove strtching is very safe)

-Avoid General Brush and self-detection

But generally "sculpting" with Remove strecthing and most Liveclay brushes (liveclay,Creaseclay ect...) is pretty solid.

But its also easy to force self-intersection by keeping pressure on the brush intensively without releasing the brush and letting RS do its magic.

If you intend to do this, voxel mode is better suited.

Thanks for the advice, Artman.

Yes, Noise and General Clay might be the culprit. I'll try to stay away from the latter although I like the tool very much because it's basically a Swiss army knife. It contains almost all LiveClay tools which allows for creation of very interesting brushes. I wish it was more robust.

Any ideas on why there is only one type of noise available in the Nose tool while most LiveClay tools have 8 different noise patterns?

Thanks for the UDIM fix Andrew. I appreciate your attention to that issue.

Indeed. That's a very important fix. Thank you Andrew.

Sketch tool is an incredible helper.

post-10142-0-42902600-1439027777_thumb.j

Its possible to add better visualization/grid guides to current view planes ?

post-10142-0-35135800-1439027841_thumb.j

ty !

Sketch tool is an incredible helper.

attachicon.gifShapeT.jpg

Its possible to add better visualization/grid guides to current view planes ?

attachicon.gif96353170_640.jpg

ty !

Can it be used to create reliefs for 3dprinting? Like if I import a picture can it do a quick relief based on the picture?

Can it be used to create reliefs for 3dprinting? Like if I import a picture can it do a quick relief based on the picture?

You Mean Logo Tool ?

Andrey, is possible to improve hard surface modeling? You have brilliant stuff for that, but it has some problem. For example:

1) First - i need to cut a peece by 3 directions. I can use Cut tool with Depth limit but sometimes it's not comfortable, because i can't control backside. Fine solution for that will be something like your amazing Plane tool by 3 sides. It would be to help user "pull out" peeces from model. 

2)One more, your Split tool. Is it possible to make that working in Loop mode? Other words to draw line around division border and split by that.

3)And one more proposal. For correctly display hard edges you could be to make auto-allign voxel mesh  by edge. It would allow to have on low resolution mesh sharp edges for further baking.

Thank you!

I'll try to stay away from the latter although I like the tool very much because it's basically a Swiss army knife. It contains almost all LiveClay tools which allows for creation of very interesting brushes.

Not really because the Liveclay brushes underwent massive refinements of behavior and brush feeling while General Clay did not benefit those improvements. So CreaseClay is literally lightyears ahead of generalclay+ Creasing and same for Flattenclay its been refined by Andrew many,many times and general Clay+Flattening is nowhere near....

Creating yourself a nice set of presets and assigning hotkeys to them really gives an almost swiss army knife feeling if you want.

Any ideas on why there is only one type of noise available in the Nose tool while most LiveClay tools have 8 different noise patterns?

Yeah,noise tool is just Perlin based....Voronoi would be great,especially with curve control.

Those are really 2 complementary kind of noises ...and by having both pretty much any effects can be achieved.

I already asked for this when tool was introduced as Im pretty sure Andrew can code some Voronoi noise functions in like 30 seconds.....So who knows,maybe it'll be introduced someday. :)

- UDIM export tiles order corrected, now it corresponds to original placement of tiles.

- Sketch tool got more precise painting - shape size exactly corresponds to pen size and lasso painting, no more inward extrusion.

- Click to pick restored in transform tool

- To main axis/to center mass in pose tool

- Updated description in Sketch tool, fixed little problems there.

- Included all OpenCL changes

I am deeply in refactoring process, trying to be very safe, testing all changes carefully, but need your tests.

I really want to make stable build because 4.5.03 has serious retopo snapping problems.

Great update, Andrew. Thanks  :good: Do splines/shape draw modes work with VoxExtrude/Layer, now? It has been broken recently, and I didn't see anything about it in the release notes

...Oh, and splines/shape draw modes didn't work with SELECTION OPACITY in the Pose tool. The brush modes do, but not the shapes or splines

The Sketch tool is really just like  a 3-axis Cuttoff Tool.

Great update, Andrew. Thanks  :good: Do splines/shape draw modes work with VoxExtrude/Layer, now? It has been broken recently, and I didn't see anything about it in the release notes

both spline and 3D spline are working in both voxlayer and extrude tool on my side....what is the broken effect?

is selection weird or not happening?

both spline and 3D spline are working in both voxlayer and extrude tool on my side....what is the broken effect?

is selection weird or not happening?

It wasn't applying the selection, in previous builds. I showed this to Andrew, so maybe it got fixed and wasn't mentioned in the build notes. I'll have to download and check.

Just to clarify, when using those tools, if you use a spline > hit ENTER it didn't do anything. I was showing 3D Coat in a presentation and it didn't work. One of the artists I was presenting to said it didn't work for him, either

It wasn't applying the selection, in previous builds. I showed this to Andrew, so maybe it got fixed and wasn't mentioned in the build notes. I'll have to download and check.

selection is applied on my side with doubleclick or with Enter key...even in previous build. Strange how we all have different issues ...

selection is applied on my side with doubleclick or with Enter key...even in previous build. Strange how we all have different issues ...

Ah-Ha! I found the culprit. In the E-Panel, Depth Limit was checked, somehow...and for whatever reason, the splines and shape draw modes won't work if that is selected. Not sure if that would be considered a bug or just something that should be mentioned in a tool tip to avoid.

My 3D Coat is the 4.5.02. Do I need to unistall the current version to install the new one?

Yes Dimitri , first unistall , then install and use Migration to get your settings , brushes etc from the previous version.