3DCoat Forums

My 3D Coat is the 4.5.02. Do I need to unistall the current version to install the new one?

dont needed

...Oh, and splines/shape draw modes didn't work with SELECTION OPACITY in the Pose tool. The brush modes do, but not the shapes or splines

I checked, it works, use selection opacity slider

edit: seems only 3d lasso does now work with that slider

When brush spacing (Use Spacing) is turned off, why does LiveClay brushes act as if it was on? I don't see this problem with standard surface brushes.

Is it how it is supposed to work, and if so - then why?

post-12523-0-76970500-1439064680_thumb.j

On splines 3d models nothing is working.

Splines -> chains -> wire and i need to to follow a curve as ussual.

Can someone name a build that this feature works please?

Can someone please confirm?

In \Documents\3D-CoatV45\VoxStamps\Splines\Chains i only see png preview images and no obj.

I suspect that this is the problem.

When brush spacing (Use Spacing) is turned off, why does LiveClay brushes act as if it was on? I don't see this problem with standard surface brushes.

Is it how it is supposed to work, and if so - then why?

attachicon.gifLC_useSpacing.jpg

I wondered the same thing a long time ago and did some comparison in Zbrush to discover that its exactly the same.

Here is DamStandard (CreaseClay equivalent) without lazystep spacing(left) and with very low lazystep spacing (right)

post-1195-0-71533600-1439101057_thumb.jp

As zbrush is always considered  the ultimate reference when it comes to sculpting I never went further with this point...assuming it is probably normal.Altough in 3DC its much more apparent....to such an extent that using CreaseClay without low spacing values is not even considered an option.

Actually most of my Liveclay presets use very,very small spacing values...

Im like you on this ,I dont know if its an issue or not....

Also you wil notice that those dots manifest mostly when small/sharp alphas are used,if broader alphas are used you can desactivate spacing and still get nice,even strokes...

• Like 1

I wondered the same thing a long time ago and did some comparison in Zbrush to discover that its exactly the same.

Here is DamStandard (CreaseClay equivalent) without lazystep spacing(left) and with very low lazystep spacing (right)

attachicon.gifdots.jpg

As zbrush is always considered  the ultimate reference when it comes to sculpting I never went further with this point...assuming it is probably normal.Altough in 3DC its much more apparent....to such an extent that using CreaseClay without low spacing values is not even considered an option.

Actually most of my Liveclay presets use very,very small spacing values...

Im like you on this ,I dont know if its an issue or not....

Also you wil notice that those dots manifest mostly when small/sharp alphas are used,if broader alphas are used you can desactivate spacing and still get nice,even strokes...

Thanks for clarifying this, Artman. I began thinking that something might be wrong with my 3DC installation.

I'm not sure if mimicking this particular ZBrush feature benefits 3DC. It feels illogical to me, because when I turn off brush spacing, I expect a continous stroke.

Sorry but

Paint Room

Fill

No Pattern

post-10142-0-71116000-1439122335_thumb.j

• Like 1

On splines 3d models nothing is working.

Splines -> chains -> wire and i need to to follow a curve as ussual.

Can someone name a build that this feature works please?

Are you talking about the CURVES tool. Splines pallet is what works with it, not the Models pallet. It's best to layout your Curve and then click on the object in the Splines pallet. Otherwise, choosing the spline object early can slow things down a bit...depending on the poly count of the object being replicated.

• Like 1

Thanks for clarifying this, Artman. I began thinking that something might be wrong with my 3DC installation.

I'm not sure if mimicking this particular ZBrush feature benefits 3DC. It feels illogical to me, because when I turn off brush spacing, I expect a continous stroke.

well there is always gonna be some sort of default spacing because brush strokes use images alphas and those have to be somehow repeated along the stroke otherwise the stroke would never have anything to do with the alpha used....it would be just a generic stroke controlled by falloff...

The dots you see comes from the fact that the alphas used are too small.....there is too much black space versus grey/white space on the image.

If you use broader alphas you will  notice no dots even if spacing is off...

Here, no spacing using the first 2 default alphas:

post-1195-0-42890500-1439122380_thumb.jp

• Like 2

- curves models profiles restored

Thank you , thank you , thank you and a thousand thank you more.

Are you talking about the CURVES tool. Splines pallet is what works with it, not the Models pallet. It's best to layout your Curve and then click on the object in the Splines pallet. Otherwise, choosing the spline object early can slow things down a bit...depending on the poly count of the object being replicated.

Greetings Ranger , yes  i am talking about the Curves tool that works with splines , I am downloading a fix by Andrew and will try it right now.

- curves models profiles restored

It works fine.

Thank you once more.

no worries, its always a pleasure knowing that on issues i can always depend on you guys. 3d coat replaced a lot of suites we used to work with , so being part of a reliable community is crucial

Andrew, would it be possible to make AUTOPO calculate its stuff in some background process? This way instead of spending the time waiting for calculations to complete, we could still work with the scene. What do you think?

Andrew, would it be possible to make AUTOPO calculate its stuff in some background process? This way instead of spending the time waiting for calculations to complete, we could still work with the scene. What do you think?

I was just going to ask if he could get the guy who implemented the OpenCL AO, to have 3D Coat calculate Auto-Retopo....mainly when you turn off/uncheck "Decimate if Above." Unchecking that gives a much better result, but it takes forever to calculate. Using OpenCL to calculate that would improve the whole experience.

• Like 1

I was just going to ask if he could get the guy who implemented the OpenCL AO, to have 3D Coat calculate Auto-Retopo....mainly when you turn off/uncheck "Decimate if Above." Unchecking that gives a much better result, but it takes forever to calculate. Using OpenCL to calculate that would improve the whole experience.

I think OpenCL can greatly accelerate auto-retopo.
I wanted to do it, too. The question - what feature now has top priority?!....
Edited by carrots
  • Like 4

I think OpenCL can greatly accelerate the auto-retopo.

Hi Vladimir, nice to meet you.

I'm currently waiting for an AUTOPO of a mesh that was decimated down to 300k and it already is taking a good while to calculate, so I can imagine how long would it take to process my raw 1.5M non-decimated object. Being an advocate of semi-auto retopology tools, I was always doubtful when it comes to fully automated retopo, but for the first time I feel that without it I wouldn't make it with a deadline because of so many complex non-deformable objects that I need to process. The results I get from AUTOPO are quite good, but like I said, the time it takes to calculate is long, so any means of accelerating it are welcome. Especially when you say that processing of denser meshes yields better results. :)

I don't know about your priorities guys - I think it's refactoring at the moment - but after you're done with it please do think about the thing that is in discussion here. OpenCL seems like an awesome solution to shortening AUTOPO's calculation time.

P.S. I've noticed that AUTOPO sometimes leaves holes in the retopo mesh (usually one deleted quad, or two neighbouring ones) and produces n-gons here and there. Is this normal?

• Like 2

+ 10000000 for faster AUTOPO using it most of the times and must admit that with newest algorithm results are almost acceptable for animation too. 

• Like 1

I think OpenCL can greatly accelerate auto-retopo.

I was trying to use Auto Retopo on a bust of a character, to use in the next Newsletter, but it's taken me hours of different attempts and I've not yet come out with anything presentable. In fact, I just now had to kill the application because it was over an hour on a single attempt and wasn't even halfway through. So, yeah...Auto-Retopo could DEFINITELY use some OpenCL love.

Since all the modeling tools work on a dense mesh, Auto-Retopo is such an important component. The faster one can get through a single attempt, the less aggravating it is to have to make several attempts to get a decent result. OpenCL could have saved me a few hours today, alone. :)

• Like 2