3DCoat Forums
Andrew Shpagin

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

Anyone else having problems using Snake Clay from the Live Clay tools? sR5Wz1z.png Apparently it's been 'broken' for a long time... I hope it can be patched in the beta releases because it is a very important tool (in my opinion) and it's currently unusable for any serious modeling. 

If you play with the tool for a bit you'll see what I mean about "broken" (especially using symmetry) It sometimes sticks to the surface of the object, at other times it jumps randomly and it follows the mouse cursor in very odd ways. 

Here's the long version:

http://www.fxguide.com/featured/udim-uv-mapping/

The quick version:

Each UV Row is identified by 1000, 2000, 3000, etc.. Each UV Column is identified by the trailing digits from the thousands. So the first column of the first row will be 1001, the second column of the second row will be 1002. The two hundred fifty ninth column of the seventh row will be 7259. After texturing and exporting your textures, each texture image will be assigned a number based on those coordinates in the filename. Then upon importing your images, assuming the program supports UDIM, will look at those assignments and automatically put it in the right proper place in UV space for you.

It's a pretty handy way to work, cuts down on a LOT of time, at least for me because I always use a number of UV tiles on meshes.

The big issue for 3DC is that it only supports one UV tile at a time, and if it sees multiple UV tiles it converts those tiles to UV maps instead of properly importing the UV map with all of it's tiles and letting you edit, paint, etc. on the entire map with all of the tiles. Having this UDIM compliance at least helps solve some of that issue.

Correction. Each row is 1000, 1010, 1020 (and up to 9999). Apologies for the error.

Thanks for the quick reply Javis!

That makes alot of sense. What are the advantages of creating multiple UV tiles for your mesh within the same UV map?

Ive always just used seperate maps if needed.

Well from a working stand point, it's generally easier to deal with one UV map per object, character, etc., and use UV tiles instead of multiple UV maps. If you've got a lot of work in front of you, it's better to have one UV map per object, rather than a whole bunch. You still get the same effects.

Texturing with any kind with procedurals or other similar effects when applied to UV maps can be done more easily across an entire object with one UV map. Whereas if you have multiple UV maps for the object, you need to instance or duplicate your procedurals for each UV map you have.

From a performance stand point, most render engines (unsure of game engines, but it's probably pretty comparable) deal with 1 UV map better than a bunch.

Shaders can sometimes be weird when using multiple UV maps.  And actually that is the reason why Andrew has 3DC set up the way it is. He told me that it would require a rewrite of 3DC to handle multiple tiles because of some shader issue. If I recall correctly.

That's just some of the reasons. Hope that helps.

Anyone else having problems using Snake Clay from the Live Clay tools? sR5Wz1z.png Apparently it's been 'broken' for a long time... I hope it can be patched in the beta releases because it is a very important tool (in my opinion) and it's currently unusable for any serious modeling. 

If you play with the tool for a bit you'll see what I mean about "broken" (especially using symmetry) It sometimes sticks to the surface of the object, at other times it jumps randomly and it follows the mouse cursor in very odd ways. 

I can confirm, it's broken. It almost always sticks to other surfaces for me. There used to be an option that allowed you to control it and what it did, but it appears to have been removed?

• Like 1

...and if you're offline....no help?

I assume you're referring to the manual? If so, I did mention that I'm working on a PDF version, but It might be a while. :) The online version is the focus right now.

Thanks for the quick reply Javis!

That makes alot of sense. What are the advantages of creating multiple UV tiles for your mesh within the same UV map?

Ive always just used seperate maps if needed.

If you're doing models for games, then having one UV map for a complex object can really help from a performance standpoint, as well.  Loading multiple UV maps for one object can really cost, but allows for greater control over fidelity of the textures.  The trick is learning to determine when and when not to create a single or multiple UV maps and/or figuring out how best to approach that fine line between fidelity and performance.

• Like 1

I assume you're referring to the manual? If so, I did mention that I'm working on a PDF version, but It might be a while. :) The online version is the focus right now.

Yep, I was referring to the manual.  Sorry.  Thanks for the reply.  I think it's reasonable for people to expect the pdf version to be out-of-date compared to the online version.  Should be easy enough for folks to figure out which is more necessary.

4.5 BETA5

- Fixed crash in pose tool

- Fixed crash in fill tool

- GL version works!

- snake fixed

- fixed problem with sliders numerical input in Layer blending palette

- panoramas updated

- different small stuff like default hotkeys

• Like 4

4.5 BETA5

- GL version works!

- snake fixed

- panoramas updated

Thanks, Andrew. :good:

Yep, I was referring to the manual.  Sorry.  Thanks for the reply.  I think it's reasonable for people to expect the pdf version to be out-of-date compared to the online version.  Should be easy enough for folks to figure out which is more necessary.

I agree. It shouldn't be too much of a big deal.

Seems DX 64 SIMPLE executable is not valid, other ones are good. I will reupload build.

Thanks Andrew. Will this be on Google Drive too?

I agree. It shouldn't be too much of a big deal.

Thanks Andrew. Will this be on Google Drive too?

Yes, approx in 15 min all exe-s will be updated everywhere.
  • Like 1

Yes, approx in 15 min all exe-s will be updated everywhere.

Ok, cool. Thanks!

Ok, Time to watch Javis's PBR video again as now I can run 32 bit Windows GL with PBR support using "Wine" under Linux while I wait for the official Linux 64 bit version of PBR.

Edited by digman
  • Like 2

Correction. Each row is 1000, 1010, 1020 (and up to 9999). Apologies for the error.

Well from a working stand point, it's generally easier to deal with one UV map per object, character, etc., and use UV tiles instead of multiple UV maps. If you've got a lot of work in front of you, it's better to have one UV map per object, rather than a whole bunch. You still get the same effects.

Texturing with any kind with procedurals or other similar effects when applied to UV maps can be done more easily across an entire object with one UV map. Whereas if you have multiple UV maps for the object, you need to instance or duplicate your procedurals for each UV map you have.

From a performance stand point, most render engines (unsure of game engines, but it's probably pretty comparable) deal with 1 UV map better than a bunch.

Shaders can sometimes be weird when using multiple UV maps.  And actually that is the reason why Andrew has 3DC set up the way it is. He told me that it would require a rewrite of 3DC to handle multiple tiles because of some shader issue. If I recall correctly.

That's just some of the reasons. Hope that helps.

That is VERY helpful thank you.

4.5 BETA5

- GL version works!

- snake fixed

- panoramas updated

Awesome!  *anxiously awaits Mac build

problem with slider numerical input at BRUSH Option, TOOL Option, Layer Blending... remains

need to LM click over a right right boxarea to popup the numerical input box

if you LM click box at middle = no action

post-10142-0-67584500-1420810260_thumb.j post-10142-0-31877200-1420810460_thumb.j post-10142-0-17087100-1420811389_thumb.j

Andrew, Clip Masks are not work with glossiness/metalness. Those channels are not masked.

How do you get the standard PBR materials to show? All I have is close and new.

problem with slider numerical input at BRUSH Option, TOOL Option, Layer Blending... remains

need to LM click over a right right boxarea to popup the numerical input box

if you LM click box at middle = no action

attachicon.gifsquare is small.jpg attachicon.gifTool Options.jpg attachicon.gifLayer Blending.jpg

Is it really BETA5 ? I checked and all works as expected on my side.