3DCoat Forums
Andrew Shpagin

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

And just to make it more confusing, I copied a material and repeated the fatal steps, and the material didn't delete. The two materials that deleted only had one internal layer, whereas the one that survived had multiple internal layers, which is the only difference I can think of.

Same here , we have discussed this some time ago , i suppose Andrew will come up with a solution.

My way to get them back is to keep a backup of them.

Can copy channels be fixed once and for all, please? Copying metallic channel doesn't work. Who knows what else.

Never mind. User error. ;)

The layer must contain colour information for copy channel to work (at least when it comes to extra channels like roughness and metallic).

---

Actually it still doesn't work correctly. Artifacts appear when copying metallic to luminosity (the metallic map isn't intended for this model, but that's irrelevant. Note the squarish artifacts in the colour channel).

post-12523-0-26427400-1448846214_thumb.j

Metallic copied to red:

post-12523-0-36137800-1448846324_thumb.j

Strangely enough, when copied to roughness/glossiness, it looks OK.

Can this tool be fixed once and for all? It's one of those tools that could help in some workarounds when a problem is encountered, but when it's most needed, it never works correctly. :dash2:

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

Problem with AO baking in paint room (might be user error or intended behavior). Not specific to newest beta.

If I hide objects in the surface materials list in paint room and then calculate AO, they don't receive AO information, but still cast shadows onto other objects. This could be wanted behavior, but needs to be adjustable so hidden objects neither receive nor cast shadows/ occlusion.

Problem with AO baking in paint room (might be user error or intended behavior). Not specific to newest beta.

If I hide objects in the surface materials list in paint room and then calculate AO, they don't receive AO information, but still cast shadows onto other objects. This could be wanted behavior, but needs to be adjustable so hidden objects neither receive nor cast shadows/ occlusion.

Thanks already fixed. Corrected version will be available soon, along with other additions in baking lighting.

• Like 4

This new user problem crops up a number of times, causes frustration for a new user and my time to explain what is causing the errors..

The Problem below:

Re-baking to the paint room with a current model previously baked residing in the paintroom... This causes errors and the new user is not aware of the need to remove the previously baked model and unused layers before re-baking.

Is it possible to add a warning popup if the same previous baked same named object is still in the paintroom. The popup would warn the user to remove the model and any unused layers before re-baking.

Edited by digman
  • Like 4

Also IF possible , please add a progress bar on the paint room when exporting.

• Like 1

Does anyone crash when trying importing to Microvertex Painting a mesh already paintend on Per Pixel mode? both Open GL and DX  have problems.

I do not crash . loads in fine with obj.  and I am using 4.5.03    I do get some floating squares in the  texture editor 2d and on the mesh .it looks say alpha checkers .did as you painted in ppp saved out obj with texture. Then back in with Microvertex  painting .   I do crash in the Render Room if I check  Real Time Render then  right to windows desktop ..  FYI  I am on  win 8.1  .

Can copy channels be fixed once and for all, please? Copying metallic channel doesn't work. Who knows what else.

Never mind. User error. ;)

The layer must contain colour information for copy channel to work (at least when it comes to extra channels like roughness and metallic).

---

Actually it still doesn't work correctly. Artifacts appear when copying metallic to luminosity (the metallic map isn't intended for this model, but that's irrelevant. Note the squarish artifacts in the colour channel).

attachicon.gifscreenshot_15-11-30_02_00_22.jpg

Metallic copied to red:

attachicon.gifscreenshot_15-11-30_02_01_38.jpg

Strangely enough, when copied to roughness/glossiness, it looks OK.

Can this tool be fixed once and for all? It's one of those tools that could help in some workarounds when a problem is encountered, but when it's most needed, it never works correctly. :dash2:

On my simple tests over creature all works as expected, probably there is some combination of layers. Please send me any example for ease of reproducing.

I know it's probably very hard to do, but it'd be very, very nice if some kind of subdivision algorithm (e.g. open subdiv) could be implemented (like Mari has in the new version 3).

I'm having a very hard time at the moment to get textures from 3DCoat into XSI undistorted. I have a character with a very low resolution jacket that will be converted to a subdivision surface and that has textured seams running along a UV shell edge (meaning that any texture distortions will be very noticable).

Because XSI only has linear UVs (no UV smoothing possible) its not easy to work on a subdivided model in 3DCoat and then export a texture from it that will be displayed without distortions on the low resolution object in XSI. If you know what I mean...

Edited by wilson66

I do not crash . loads in fine with obj.  and I am using 4.5.03    I do get some floating squares in the  texture editor 2d and on the mesh .it looks say alpha checkers .did as you painted in ppp saved out obj with texture. Then back in with Microvertex  painting .   I do crash in the Render Room if I check  Real Time Render then  right to windows desktop ..  FYI  I am on  win 8.1  .

I tried some other object and do not crash, but this specific project which I'm working on, with painted textures, normals and else, made on PPP crashes everytime I try do import into micro vertex work space. 

Sometimes 3DC crash if the model have n-gons.

• Like 1

I know it's probably very hard to do, but it'd be very, very nice if some kind of subdivision algorithm (e.g. open subdiv) could be implemented (like Mari has in the new version 3).

I'm having a very hard time at the moment to get textures from 3DCoat into XSI undistorted. I have a character with a very low resolution jacket that will be converted to a subdivision surface and that has textured seams running along a UV shell edge (meaning that any texture distortions will be very noticable).

Because XSI only has linear UVs (no UV smoothing possible) its not easy to work on a subdivided model in 3DCoat and then export a texture from it that will be displayed without distortions on the low resolution object in XSI. If you know what I mean...

I've requested Open SubDiv a few times, and again more recently. I know Andrew is aware of the need. It seems more a matter of time at this point. There are three big features at the moment that are awaiting implementation:

Paint Layer Masks

Sculpt Layers

Open SubDiv

Most likely in that order. :)

On the linear/non-linear UVs, that would be a huge issue. 3DC only exports linear UVs, So I'm a little confused here. Do you mean XSI supports only non-linear UVs? I haven't used XSI in a long time now so I can't help directly there, but as a temporary solution you could use a tool that supports both by baking to the new linear/non-linear UVs (which ever you need).

• Like 2

I never subdivide in 3D-Coat because its algorithm isn't compatible with any of the subdivision algorithms available in a 3D package of my choice (Houdini).

Instead, I use an old school method that I picked up on CGTalk years ago. I presubdivide my low-poly model at least once in the software I will be rendering in, and use this presubdivided geometry as a retopo mesh for baking and texturing. This ensures that the geometry subdivision and UV smoothing will be correct and no deformation nor seams will occur. Of course this might look wonky when applied to a low-poly model, but who cares if on the final shot, when geometry is subdivided multiple times, it will look perfect?

---

Andrew, can you add 16-bit normal map export capabilities to 3D-Coat? 16-bit normal maps provide much higher shading quality in programs that support them, and for those programs that don't, they can still be converted to 8-bit with a nice dithering. This is especially important for subtle curvatures where banding might occur due to lack of bit depth.

---

Can you also add a drop box that would allow for choosing the amount of anti-aliasing for baked maps?

• Like 2

On my simple tests over creature all works as expected, probably there is some combination of layers. Please send me any example for ease of reproducing.

I don't remember now what map I loaded as a metallic channel, but layer configurations was something like:

- targetLayer (target layer for copy channels, filled with colour)

- sourceLayer (with metallic channel loaded from file)

- Layer 0

Once I get this bug again I'll send you the scene straight away.

Same here since many versions back.

Sometimes they get hidden , some times erased , sometime i edit the material and on save its there.

But when i rename the folder back to its original name other folders get mixed with it!!!

• Like 1

I keep having that same issue. I know it's been reported. Not sure why it hasn't been fixed. It's a huge, huge showstopper.

• Like 2

I don't really understand why people are asking for paint layer masks. Every single paint layer in 3d coat can be used as a mask for other layers.

Paint your mask, choose the layer that is used as source, and link it with your mask. The most important: set the mask layer opacity to 0 then. Voila! In this way you can link as much layers to the mask as you want. And they can have different layer list positions even below the actual mask. Which tool can do this?

Or do I misunderstand something?

3d coat have already really strong mask functions.

Hey Chris! I actually like how 3DC handles layer masking, I prefer it really for the reasons you mentioned. It is so much more flexible. I think the thing people really want out of layer masks is the exact same functionality as PS and direct .PSD support. When you're using the PS<>3DC syncing function, layer masks are really supported when sending a file to PS or back to 3DC. So in this regard, it would be very nice to have.

I would even settle for a way to have 3DC send the layer you're using to mask another as a "real" PS style layer mask, and when you send it back to 3DC, 3DC would remember that it is actually a layer.

Just my two bits.

Same here since many versions back.

Sometimes they get hidden , some times erased , sometime i edit the material and on save its there.

But when i rename the folder back to its original name other folders get mixed with it!!!

I keep having that same issue. I know it's been reported. Not sure why it hasn't been fixed. It's a huge, huge showstopper.

Do I need to reinstall the materials now or is there some way to get them back?

• Like 1