3D Coat Forums
Andrew Shpagin

V4.5 BETA (experimental)

I created a screen capture. Would really like to know whats going on here, I have often used smart materials in the past and never had such a problem.

screen capture

OK. Reproduced. Seems to be a bug with depth textures using them 1st time with rectangle. As soon as you are using a regular brush, this problem disappear.

Are you so kind and post it into mantis please?

Which room? Which tool have you used, please?

Sculpt Room, Curves tool (Save and Load to .curves file).

Point hardness is not loaded with the .curves file, so either it's not stored in the file at all, or loading of curves is broken.

Edited by ajz3d

OK. Reproduced. Seems to be a bug with depth textures using them 1st time with rectangle. As soon as you are using a regular brush, this problem disappear.

Are you so kind and post it into mantis please?

Done.

Sculpt Room, Curves tool (Save and Load to .curves file).

Point hardness is not loaded with the .curves file, so either it's not stored in the file at all, or loading of curves is broken.

EDIT:

Yes. You are right. Reproduced.

Post it into mantis please.

Version 4.5.28 beta...

Is it possible to update the Texture Baking Tool to the new PBR standards with the export settings... 

Using the texture baking tool is still a valid way for importing a highpoly mesh with a UV set and textures into PPP or MV and baking to an external low polygon mesh with a uv set.

Attached image shows what the Texture Baking Tool has atm.

post-518-0-28867600-1453776688_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman
  • Like 3

I'm using 4.5.28 and I'm get an issue with some of the tools.  Where my tablet is not registering the beginning of my stroke, or if it is, it's registering as a low pressure stroke even if it's not.  It's affecting me with texture painting on a UV'd mesh and with surface sculpting when I use the Rapid2 brushes.

Anyone else having this problem?

I'm using the GL64 Cuda version, but I'm pretty sure I was having the same issue on the DX64 non cuda version.  I'm also running windows 10 with a Cintiq Companion Hybrid.

It's really hard for me to paint or sculpt with it like this.

I'm using 4.5.28 and I'm get an issue with some of the tools.  Where my tablet is not registering the beginning of my stroke, or if it is, it's registering as a low pressure stroke even if it's not.  It's affecting me with texture painting on a UV'd mesh and with surface sculpting when I use the Rapid2 brushes.

I'm using the GL64 Cuda version, but I'm pretty sure I was having the same issue on the DX64 non cuda version.  I'm also running windows 10 with a Cintiq Companion Hybrid.

It's really hard for me to paint or sculpt with it like this.

Is the behaviour similar to one described here: http://3dcoat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=18337?

Is the behaviour similar to one described here: http://3dcoat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=18337?

Yes, 

That is exactly what's happening...When I start 3D Coat it's as smooth as butter, but then after a couple of minutes my pressure just stops working properly and my quick strokes just don't register or they start later than I had hoped and end up brushing on the wrong part of my mesh.  Sometimes it seems like it's not working at all...and at other times it seems like a forced time based taper on on my brush from low pressure into my regular stroke.  It kills the feeling of responsiveness.  Did the driver update eliminate your problems?

Edited by gbball

Version 4.5.28 beta...

Is it possible to update the Texture Baking Tool to the new PBR standards with the export settings... 

Using the texture baking tool is still a valid way for importing a highpoly mesh with a UV set and textures into PPP or MV and baking to an external low polygon mesh with a uv set.

Attached image shows what the Texture Baking Tool has atm.

Yes, I agree. This is needed.

I have noticed this the last couple of days also. At some point, the brushes stop working (click-dragging on the model does not apply any paint), I had this problem painting a UVd mesh in paint room. Restarting 3D Coat solved it, but should be fixed of course. If Andrew somehow manages to reproduce it...

Wacom drivers (Intuos 4) are up to date.

Edited by wilson66

I updated my Wacom drivers and things seem to be good now.

I updated my Wacom drivers and things seem to be good now.

If they work, I recommend sticking with them as long as possible (until something breaks again). :)
  • Like 1

I opened my .3b file today and noticed that 3D-Coat wiped clean two of my VoxTree layers (they were voxel layers). I checked up several older incremental saves, and the layers are blank in them too.

Latest BETA has an option missing for editing texture in external editor. One that takes screenshot of the current viewport and passes it through to the Photoshop. 

Latest BETA has an option missing for editing texture in external editor. One that takes screenshot of the current viewport and passes it through to the Photoshop. 

It is still there but the hotkeys have been reassigned. You have to make your own hotkey for it. Look at the attached image. 

I created my own short cut using Ctrl---Shift---P key combination.

beta version 4.5.28

post-518-0-49087700-1454068496_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

It is still there but the hotkeys have been reassigned. You have to make your own hotkey for it. Look at the attached image. 

I created my own short cut using Ctrl---Shift---P key combination.

beta version 4.5.28

Odd... At a time when I tried it, that option was entirely gone for me. I didn't just try to press shortcut, I did open the Edit menu to see it. Weird. Perhaps a bug that might pop up again for some other people. 

• Like 1

a bug 

with argile

extrud10.jpg

Might be good to send that to Andrew. Upload the file through the HELP menu (send file to support), and once it is uploaded, it's a good idea to shoot him an e-mail (support@3dcoat.com), explaining the problem (especially the steps needed to reproduce) attaching the image and in the process, let him know you just uploaded the file.

• Like 1

A user bought up about updating the Paint Engine... Maybe by version 5 as I know it will take development time. 

We sure could use some real brush types and blenders... Sure I can project paint in an external paint program but you have to keep reprojecting as the model is turned in 3DC.

Attached images gives an idea of what I mean...

EDIT: On the subject of feature request, This is for Smart Materials

Add the depth options we have now under the "Add Depth" section of the layers panel to the Smart Material editor, shown in last image.

Add more type of Noise patterns... I think we just have Perlin noise at the moment in the Smart Material editor.

The ability to rotate.

Add a seed function so we can have variations of the noise.

post-518-0-20693200-1454283791_thumb.png

post-518-0-42492800-1454283800_thumb.png

post-518-0-81803600-1454284878_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

Most important is to get real smart material combo / layers  that we can apply to other 3d models , similar to SP.

I have discussed this with Andrew , he will understand.

Example

Layer 1 metal , layer 2 metal 2 with screen , layer 3 dust with add , all those 3 layers to be combined and ready to be applied with ID on a new 3d model.

• Like 2

Most important is to get real smart material combo / layers  that we can apply to other 3d models , similar to SP.

I have discussed this with Andrew , he will understand.

Example

Layer 1 metal , layer 2 metal 2 with screen , layer 3 dust with add , all those 3 layers to be combined and ready to be applied with ID on a new 3d model.

Smart material linking is something fundamental.

• Like 2

I have noticed that applying color using a brush often stops working when painting of depth is de-activated. Neither color nor specularity are applied at all. It works when using a lasso, but not using a brush.

When activating depth painting additionally, all channels (including color) are applied correctly. 

Restarting 3DCoat is the only way to paint color only again.