3DCoat Forums

Little help with PBR Material

Malo

• Contributor

Hello

I need some little advice to create a pbr material weathering effect. In Substance Designer there is a effect that is called ground dirt.

What it does is realy simple, it makes an object dirty from bottom to top, and gets smoothed and loose opacity at the top.

Like this, please ignore the colors, i know they are ugly.

post-24378-0-53931500-1419512264_thumb.j

Now i have tried to rebuild this weathering effect with the new material editor, but i cant get it to work.

My result

post-24378-0-51029000-1419512272_thumb.j

This is the closest i could reach.

Another shot with a different object.

post-24378-0-79054700-1419512752_thumb.j

The main problem is the calculation more on bottom. Take a look into the Cube Picture from 3d coat.

It looks like it calculates every face that is placed in XZ direction and then caluclates upwards in Y.

You see it in the small cubes on the side. The inner upper part have dirt, but on the lower part it is clean.

Or take a look into the monster picture. The feet are dirty, but not at the top, and then the body gets dirty again.

It looks like the more on bottom option dont calculate the complede object, it calculates more the XZ faces and then it move the  material up.

It is nice for leaks but not for my dirt effect.

Did anybody have an idea how i could create a ground dirt effect like that in substance designer or painter?

Cheers

Malo

• Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

I see, and it is very complicatet, not as easy as in Substance Painter/Designer. All this flopping and popping windows makes me crazy while watching.

Thats the reason why i am not a big fan of the DDO.

I hope Andrew goes with his workflow for the PBR texturing more in the Painter direction and not in the way like DDO it does.

Anyway.

The dirt effect that i want should be in the material itself, and not masked with two materials.

I think it would be easier to only fill the object instead of creating 2 layers and a mask.

Andrew informed me a few weeks ago that it would be possible to specify a layer in 3DC as a mask source. I'm not sure when that will happen, but it's on the road map. :) So you could easily use the fill tool in gradient mode to paint a black>white gradient, with no material. Then use a material and use the gradient layer as the source mask, and set the condition to more on sides. I think that would do the trick.

Of course, it all hinges on when Andrew implements the layer as a source mask for conditions, thing.

In the mean time, yeah, the best way to do it is as you said, two materials and a stencil, maybe also some hand painting (not much mind you!).

• Contributor

Sounds nice. I am looking forward to the mask source.

Yes, you are right, it isn´t much work. I could paint it all by hand, like i did before.

I was hoping it could be as easy as in the Substance Apps.