3DCoat Forums

Anyone using 3DCoat and Cinema 4D?

rui_mac

I don't use 3DCoat but I'm a Cinema 4D veteran and, some time ago, a ZBrush/3DCoat/Cinema 4D user contacted me to know if I could create a way to make Cinema 4D use the polypaint information that is included in the .OBJ files exported from ZBrush and 3DCoat.

So, I created a set of tools to deal with that missing feature in Cinema 4D. But, in the process, I created much more that just a tool to load RGB information from .OBJ files.

I created tools that allow for the loading, saving, creation and editing of true Vertex/poly painting on any editable mesh.
My plugin reads RGB information stored inside .OBJ files saved in zBrush/3DCoat or meshlab format. It also allows to save .OBJ files (in ZBrush/3DCoat format) that include that RGB information. The same for .FBX files (in version 6.x, ASCII format).

But true Vertex/Poly painting can be created from scratch too.

Check out these videos I created while developing the plugins:

And this is the promo video:

I'm getting ready to produce a longer demo movie, showing how all tools works.
So, now there is a better bridge between 3DCoat and Cinema 4D. Before, only mesh data was available. Now, even PolyPaint colors can be swapped in and out of Cinema 4D.
Let me know what you guys think

Rui Batista

• Like 1

Thank you :-)

Although Cinema 4D is not ready to work fast with high density meshes, it is great to be able to load something from 3DCoat and still take advantage of all the painting that was done. And, of course, be able to edit it in Cinema 4D.

Rui Batista

• Reputable Contributor

Thank you :-)

Although Cinema 4D is not ready to work fast with high density meshes, it is great to be able to load something from 3DCoat and still take advantage of all the painting that was done. And, of course, be able to edit it in Cinema 4D.

Rui Batista

What I would do if I wanted to bypass the whole Retopo > UV layout > Texture baking Process like this is, export the Vertex painted model > test a lower poly decimated version, and a higher poly decimated version...to see if you need the higher poly count to maintain the texture resolution and sculpt details. Then export an extremely low-poly decimated version, to use as a proxy object in the scene, until you are ready to render. Then unhide your high-poly version when you are ready for it.

• Advanced Member

This looks great!

gonna go play with it when i finish all this work.

Maybe you could make a more inuitive plugin to exchange meshes between c4d and 3dcoat?

Precisely because I thought about the possibility of dealing with variable density meshes, the set of plugins contains a Polypaint Transfer tool. It enables the transfer of polypainting information between meshes (it is only included in the Pro version)

Anyway, here is the manual, so that you guys can check out what is included:

http://ruimac.com/files/docs/PolyPaint%20Manual.pdf

About exchanging meshes between Cinema 4D and 3DCoat, what do you mean, Aleksey?

• Like 1