3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Extrude

gregoree

Go to solution Solved by digman,

I apologize ahead of time if I am asking a question that is already answered but I could not see this asked yet. 

I just want to know how to do a simple extrude. I attached 2 pics of what I mean. These are from a different software. I just want to take a 2d profile and extrude it in a direction. 

post-38940-0-22541600-1420230599_thumb.p

post-38940-0-37584100-1420230600_thumb.p

Hi! Welcome aboard. :)

If you've already got your profile worked out as a mesh in another program, you can import the mesh into the Sculpt Room and use the Import tool, and then tick "Import w/ Thickness" and you can extrude or thicken the profile. Here's the manual entry for the Import tool:

http://3d-coat.com/manual/sculpt/29-primitivesimport/

Another way it could be done is if you made a vector shape for the profile, you could import the profile from the Stroke Mode panel and use the profile to cut that shape out of another primitive. Here's a direct entry from the manual for the curves you would import it as:

http://3d-coat.com/manual/general/321-strokemodes/#advanced-curve-modes

There are a few other ways you could do it, but with less ease. Let me know if you need any other ideas or help with this. :)

• Contributor

Could be nice to have an extrude and extrude path right in 3d coat.

Create a rect or any line shape (selection tools can be used to create this ) and the just extrude or extrude on path (spline to extrude can also be created with the selection tools and the spline tool allready available in 3d coat)

I saw that you were able to import a vector and use it, but I was looking for a way to Draw or Sketch my vector in 3DC. I come from mostly an engineering background. I used those screenshots to show how I do it in Geormagic Freeform to explain what I was looking to do. It seems cumbersome to have to draw the profile/sketch in another software then bring it in to extrude.