3DCoat Forums

yet another mirror problem

benk

Go to solution Solved by Tony Nemo,

• Advanced Member

Sorry to bring up a chronic problem topic yet again but I have been digging through the forum for some time and cannot seem to resolve this problem. I am using 4.1.17D Educational version and cannot find a way to lock a symmetry plane in place. Basically what I want to do is take an existing object that is mirrored in global space and adjust its position relative to a static mirror location. Whenever I apply the transform tool to accomplish this task the tool shows up on the mirror plane and when moved moves the object, its mirror and the mirror plane together. If I reset the mirror behavior to local space the same thing happens. If I right click the layer and reset to global or uniform space I still do not accomplish anything. The closest I can get to my goal is to transform the scale of the object in the desired plane. Unfortunately this distorts its shape as well as position. It seems previous versions had an ability to lock sym plane position. I cannot find such a feature in my version. Any help greatly appreciated.

Ben

• Contributor
  • Solution

Disable the Sym plane and delete one of the objects. It may be wise to position the remaining object at a desired remove from the 000 position so that the restored Sym plane can occupy the 000 position.Then enable the Sym plane and click "Pick" so you can click on it's desired location, Then use the Sym Copy tool at the bottom of the Voxtree to get it's twin back.

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the solution Tony. I more or less stumbled on this solution by fumbling around. Wish there was an easier way to do this. I guess my Blender biases have crept in holding me back from the 3DC way of doing things.