3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Issues unwrapping with symmetry

Go to solution Solved by Andrew Shpagin,

fQ8iYMj.png

Here is a picture with my situation. Basically I have two objects that are the same but mirrored combined into one in Cinema 4D R16. Then I've imported them into 3D coat and turned on symmetry and then made cuts on one of them which is reflected on the other side. However, you'll notice on the UV tray that one of the objects has this horrible twist going on, even though it's symmetrical geometry and symmetrical cuts. These are bumpers for a shopping cart and the same thing happened when working on another part, it too was symmetrical in editor and in 3d coat yet the same cuts yielded these twists and I ended up having to give the broken half it's own UV space when I want to have these symmetrical so I can flip and lay them on the same spot to share UVs. Does anyone know what would cause this or how I can fix this?

cart_bumpers.obj

• Contributor

For starters, in the twisted end, make the seams the same as the good one so that it can unwrap flat. I don't understand why this part didn't get the same seams as the other when the Sym plane was enabled but it might solve the problem.

So back with some info. I revisited the mesh in Cinema 4D and was able to take the twisted UVs and do a shrink projection then relax it and it fixed, but I noticed it didn't have some cuts seemingly that the other one did. So I cleared the seams in 3D coat and tried it again, this time starting with the "bad" side. If you look at the top corners there are three edges that make it up, the middle corner edge facing the camera and the two implied ones on the sides. I found that you can mark the seams of all but one of them before it does the twisting thing, and like I said it has done this before with me, probably excusively when working with objects I have mirrored with the symmetry tool in C4D, so that may be what is causing this. I've temporarily shared the .3b file here if anyone wants to check it out and make sense of it. I'm just going to do what I can, apply uvs and then see if I can flatten it out in Cinema and just move on. I'll try and pay closer attention when doing symmetrical objects, maybe it works better if the symmetrical objects aren't merged beforehand.

3uzqyHR.png

Also I suppose it is worth noting when when flattened and compared in C4D the pieces of each bumper will not match even when flipped horizontally, so even with seemingly mirrored geometry when unwrapped they aren't lining up, so that may explain some of the twisting.

I tested your obj and 3dc files, same result.

Some faces were twisted at UVroom and RetopoRoom

Please send a support requests to Andrew Shpagin at 
support@3d-coat.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
to share UVs

select one island -in UV Preview-
Ctrl+C

select the another mirrored one
Ctrl+V

both island are placed in the same uvspace (overlaped)
  • Like 1

I tested your obj and 3dc files, same result.

Some faces were twisted at UVroom and RetopoRoom

Please send a support requests to Andrew Shpagin at 
support@3d-coat.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
to share UVs

select one island -in UV Preview-
Ctrl+C

select the another mirrored one
Ctrl+V

both island are placed in the same uvspace (overlaped)

That overlay with copying and pasting should prove immensely useful! Had no idea. I've always done most of my arranging and modifying of UVs on the tray after exporting to C4D, but now I think I'll try and learn more and do more in 3D coat. Also thank you for testing and providing the support email, I will go ahead and send a support request.

Please select the island use LSCM for unwrapping that particular island select + LSCM buttom).

Or mark seams a bit differently - on outer edges.

The LSCM unwrapping mode worked! That and copying and pasting to overlay islands should fix any future issues regarding this, thank you and everyone for your help! I learned a bit more about 3D coat during the process too. :D