3DCoat Forums

Stacked UV Support?

agentc0re

Hello everyone.

My work flow right now is Maya LT -> 3D coat for UVs -> Unity/Substance designer/painter

In Maya LT, i can click on an object, create the initial UV and then move to the next object.  This keeps all UV's in the first set on the 0,1 space but it stacks them.  This works well for unity because it allows me to texture things individually and at a larger UV space.

What I'm wonder is, does 3D coat have support to work this way OR is there a plan to do so (maybe it's a feature in beta?)??

Right now, all UV's are stacked on top of each other in 3D Coat.  I can't seem to find away to select on of the objects and just manipulate it's UV's separate of the rest.  Unity doesn't have support for UV sets and i'm not quite sure about the support for UV tiles.

I hope i was clear enough in my question, i'm pretty new to all of this.  Thanks!

-Jon

• Reputable Contributor

This is where some pictures of your Maya to 3DC workflow and the problem would help and you say made your uvs/uv in Maya but what do something with it/them in 3DC. You did not specify... 

Plus you stated that Unity does not support UV sets maybe you meant a certain type of uv set or sets...

If you could the above it would help clear things up...

Edited by digman

The first 3 images are from Maya LT.  I am just showing that when i select each object, they have their own UV space.  I believe it's called UV Stacking??  I'm not tiling the UV's and i'm not creating any UV Sets.

Then the last picture with color is from 3D-coat, which shows that all the UV's are stacked on each other on the same space.

My intention is to further manipulate the UV's in 3D-coat as I find it to be more of a pain in Maya.

As for Unity, it only sees UV set UV 1, the second UV set would be for lightmapping.  I only mentioned the unity UV sets thing is because i believe UV sets would be a possible solution to my problem with editing UV's in 3D-Coat.

I hope this has cleared things up a bit.

post-38675-0-92879300-1420837917_thumb.p

post-38675-0-03303100-1420837921_thumb.p

post-38675-0-12051600-1420837924_thumb.p

post-38675-0-99302300-1420837928_thumb.p

Tony, is there a forum or video link you can give me.  I have no idea who Taros is and if he's a youtuber or on this forum...etc.

FWIW, i'm not asking for help in creating the UV"s.  As far as my workflow from Maya->Unity, it's fine and works great.  It's how a lot of people work.  It's just when i want to use 3d-coat to further manipulate the UV's i can run into this problem with assets.  The asset i provided in my images is just an example.

What i'm looking for is if i clicked on any of the sub-objects, it would have their own UV space just like it is in Maya LT.

Tutorial: Creating a 3D model for video games

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

If i understood well, are you asking for this feature request ?

0001482: Ability to switch from Single to Multi-UV Tile in the Texture Editor

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks for the pictures...  it helps.

First again... precise workflow information is alway helpful, sorry to be a pain but we are limited time wise.

I do not know how you imported the model into 3DCoat, as you did not say. There are several ways and different ways that 3DCoat handles such imports...

But here is an answer to manipulate uv islands in one uv set whether one object or several.

In the retopo room. In the left tool bar under commands,  Read the tool tips about the ones circled in red. Use the best one that meets your needs.

In the UV room. same as above--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are in the UV room then you will need to do the last circled command, "Apply UV Set"

Now there are other things that go with the above but I do not have enough information on your workflow yet but maybe this is enough.

Also sometimes UV island stacking has the same meaning as uv island mirroring, that is you have identical UV islands and you copy them on top of each other to save texture space... That is possible as well in 3DCoat...

Another way to save space and game memory is to have a texture sheet or altas. That is you use one uv set but a larger texture resolution and have in that one uv set several game assets. They all share the same uv set but the game engine reads the textures correctly for each separate model in the file.

post-518-0-17555500-1420848957_thumb.png

Edited by digman

• Contributor

Yeah, in 3D-Coat all of the UVs will be visible at the same time in the 3D-Coat UV Preview panel. It isn't like Maya, where only the UVs for the selected objects will appear in Maya's UV Texture Editor. In fact, you can't even really select the objects in 3D-Coat, you can only hide them, but that won't hide their UVs in the UV Preview panel, it will only hide the objects in the viewport.

You can however work around this limitation by creating a bunch of new UV Sets in 3D-Coat (one for each object for example), and then temporarily move each object's UVs to each new set. Then they won't be visually "stacked" anymore in the UV Preview panel. After you are done with your UV edits, then put them all back in the original UV Set if you want, and then export. It might be a bit more work that way, but it works. Alternatively you can make the UV Sets in Maya, or tile them, before importing it into 3D-Coat. In the 3D-Coat import dialog there is an option to "Import tiles as UV sets".

Hi! Welcome aboard. :)

Unfortunately what you're asking for isn't possible in 3DC, yet. I've requested this of Andrew quite a few times with some back and forth. I think he needs more convincing that it's useful. :) I use multiple UVs with the same polygon all the time in most other programs (Modo mostly), it's a great way to get high res details with one map in a local area, and some general detailing with another UV map with the same polygons under or over the other UV mapped images/textures.

Anyway, sounds like you already know the benefits of UV mapping this way. I'll pass this thread along to Andrew so he sees others are interested? Let me ask you a question: Is this a deal breaker for using 3DC?

Hi Jarvis!  I can't tell you how glad i am that you 1) Know exactly what i'm talking about and 2) have already requested it as a feature.  I hope with sharing this thread with Andrew, it helps convince him to implement it. :D  As far as this being a deal breaker, well I do use 3DC for retopo so it's not a complete deal breaker.  I really would love to be able to do most of my UV work in 3DC, it's sooo much more intuitive, easy and nice.

• 3 weeks later...

Noticed this today.  From a games point of view you tend to make a LOT of overlapping uvs (for example spikes on armour, mirrored limbs, windows in a house or tileable brickwork).  In modo I can pack with a 'keep stacked' option.  Means I end up doing almost all my core UVing in modo and only texturing in 3dcoat.  Which is a shame as the repacking options which retain texture information in 3dcoat are amazing.