3DCoat Forums

Taros doodles

Taros

Thank you.

Horses have no problems to bend their front legs in this form. Maybe not exactly, but nearly. I've studied horse anatomy some months in the normandy, in France. While my residence there I've modeled a 3D model of a horse, very detailed, and there lived over 40 horses, too. The template for the model were especially prepared bones of a dead horse.

So: A lot of experience. ;)

3D Coat is not too slow, if you have a fast processor. I am working with a quad core cpu and am pleased. The only problem was my XP pro with 32 Bit. I was unabled to use more than 3,5 GBytes of Ram. But next friday I will move to Windows 7 and 64 Bit. Then I will upgrade my system to 8 GBytes of RAM, too. After this change the most important problem, the ram, should be solved. Can't await this day. :)

I have a Dual Core Athlon only, i think it's the main problem for speed.

And i don't use Cuda also, it didn't worked !

I think i'll have to upgrade someday my core !

No CUDA? Ugh... that's bad. Even your cpu would be ok, if you could use cuda. On my system 3DC is 4 or 6 times faster with cuda, than without. And that's a really big advance. I am using a GeForce 8800GTS here.

• 2 months later...
  • Contributor

Needed a break... a little experiment. The layers have different resolutions. I plan to spend some more time for the lions hair and some more sharp contours.

Best wishes

Chris

Nice work, Chris! :) A workflow description would be appeciated here.

Nice work, Chris! :) A workflow description would be appeciated here.

No problem.

I used nothing special. I took the primitive objects in 3DC. In first case a cylinder for the main shape, then some combinations with a torus primitive. Similar techniques for the spikes on the plate. For the rope I defined a curve and used the default rope object in 3DC as a "curve brush". The lion is sculpted by freehand, with a lion ref I found in the net. But I haven't used projections or similar, just free sculpting.

In first case, I wanted to make some tests with seperate objects. So the result is: The plate, the spikes, the rope and the lionhead are in seperate voxel layers. Every layer have an own resolution. That's very useful, because you have the ability to set small voxel details where you need them and set some higher details, where they are important. Very cool.

I have some more ideas for the shield and will set some more details and wear marks.

Best wishes and thanx

Chris

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Finally... after a long period I had some free time while christmas and sculpted this mountain sheep skull. It will be used for an private t-shirt image (I like to climb). A toon shader will be used. So no textures needed.

Sculpting time: About 3 or 4 hours.

Sculpted in voxels, the horn details in surface tools (The only reason were the terrible artefacts in voxels while using masks. Before v.3.7 all worked well.)

Best wishes

Chris

post-955-0-59266200-1326042260_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• Advanced Member

It's a goat like animal. You have to visit Crete island and see how many they are. Wild goats...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_goat

Aegagrus family. (aega/greek/ means goat, _ agros = field, landscape)

Except we're talking about this

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Soay_sheep

Or better this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capra_(genus)

Excellent work, bravo!

I like the 3dc render too. You could use a textured shader with some bump, it's easy to make it seamless in ps and let this qubic/fade thing do the rest . On shader I mean. Gives a nice base when baked.

@To all: Thank you very much.
@Michalis: Thank you. Yes I could use a different shader, but it was ok for a fast shot. :)

Hi Leigh. Thank you. It's always a plasure to get positive feedback by you. :)

Yes, skulls and bones are really fascinating and the details are unbelievable, when you get the possibility to see inside. There are so much things to learn and it's a big advantage to get a better understanding of anatomy in this way.

Best wishes
Chris

PS: I have made a lot of 3D Coat content in 2010/2011. The work was needed for a triple A title for PC and next gen consoles. The game will be released in april, finally!!! So I will be able to show "some" more stuff. :)
Here are the official screenshots: http://www.risen2.com/

• 3 years later...