3DCoat Forums

PBR in Blender Cycles

arumiat

• Reputable Contributor

This goes with the above post... 

One reason to match to the 3DC rendering (Render Room) is it helps me judge how the material is responding to said light and environment in Cycles. I generally desire the same reflective qualities to be in the Cycles render that I see in the 3DC smart material.

I need to adjust the roughness map as Cycles roughness through the PBR shader node that I like to use is not as reflective as in 3DC. I use the same Environmental Hdr.  Once tweaking the roughness map, I no longer need to reference 3DC...

Tweaking the albedo and normal map is an artistic call...

Metal map needs no tweaking...

Edited by digman

You can always improve your cycles render result by using a postpro effect. The point is how the renderer handles the colors. There is a difference between all renderers. It is the main reason why artists prefer one solution more than others. And don't forget the realtime antialiasing. 3D-Coat handles this rudimentary at the moment.

PS: A good article by Brent Burley by the way.

• Reputable Contributor

I like the richness of the colors that Blender produces in the renders, which of course can be made better or adjusted through compositing...

Today I started to work on the Glossness--Specluar Color workflow from 3DC to Blender, no PBR node shader needed.

Here are two results of the testing so far...

1000 samples....Cycles... 

Fantasy metals covered with a dielectric material  The one on the right is duller and has the same reflective qualities as in 3DC.

Sometime this year, I will add Houdini to my workflow.

Once done with both workflows, I will make 2 videos. One for each workflow...

post-518-0-91011400-1454537980_thumb.png

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

Guys, glad to know you are searching for the best result. I agree with Taros that Cycles gives more true (truer?) picture as it uses ray tracing, etc. + anti-aliasing making it look not as crisp as in 3dc's viewport.

For me, I'm totally happy with the Cycles results (after tweaking Roughness RGB curve).

BTW for my above pictures I used 50-64 samples ;)

Malo, could you give me that gun with textures for tests??? )

• Reputable Contributor

Guys, glad to know you are searching for a best result. I agree with Taros that Cycles gives more true (truer?) picture as it uses ray tracing, etc. + anti-aliasing making it look not as crisp as in 3dc's viewport.

For me, I'm totally happy with the Cycles results (after tweaking Roughness RGB curve).

BTW for my above pictures I used 50-64 samples ;)

Malo, could you give me that gun with textures for tests??? )

Oh, I like beating my images over the head with Samples!  :p:

The Glossness---specular color workflow I am working on is for 3DC users who do not what to go the PBR node route using the roughness---metalness workflow...

I am quite pleased that both workflows work well...

Edited by digman

• Reputable Contributor

AFAIK, PBR in 3DC is being tweaked right now, so I suggest you no rush 

I put the tutorials on hold, so hopefully the tweaking will be done soon and a new PBR update will be around the corner...