3DCoat Forums

3d coat on convertible laptop or Microsoft Surface

Michaelgdrs

• Contributor

Greetings to all.

Got really hooked with 3d coat.

I want to get a convertible laptop or Microsoft Surface so i can have it with me at the office and work on it while i am on a render time or break.

Which one do you think is going to run good with 3d coat?

Any suggestions?

Lenovo thinkpad  x61 convertible laptop

Lenovo thinkpad  x200 convertible laptop

Lenovo thinkpad  x230 convertible laptop ultrabook

Microsoft Surface

Microsoft Surface RT (not sure if it can run on it , as it has an arm processor??)

Microsoft Surface 2 and 3

Do you recommend something else ?

Thank you in advance.

• Advanced Member

i was leaning towards surface 3, but this n-trig nonsense has got me concerned again...

i think i'll just get the gigabyte auros x7 pro. its not convertible, but with a small wacom it'll do just fine i think.

maybe one day there will be a gaming laptop that can run everything smooth with a digitizer... dreams...

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

ye i guess... its a bit steep... I'll probably be getting a new laptop in summer, maybe by then it'll come down to something a bit more reasonable...

re: ntrig: always heated debate that it has a lot of problems. or you have to push too hard to get it to actually draw a line. some claim it has been resolved with latest driver update. Others maintain its nothing compared to wacom...

• Like 1

• Contributor

Tested (for a couple minutes unfortunately) Surface 2 and 3 today , i believe its an over priced product , feeling was ok , but coming from a wacom it may be an issue with sculpting.

Also , getting my hand (left handed) on the screen it kinda hidden the objects under it!!!!!!

Need to go and get on it more time so i can finally decide.

http://www.wacom.com/en-us/announcements/cintiq-companion-2

Cintiq Companion 2 Features
Mac and PC compatible 
Powerful Windows 8 creative tablet that you can also use as a Cintiq when attached to a Mac or PC
A professional grade creative pen and a highly responsive glass screen that’s finished to provide the friction of a natural pen-on-paper feel while reducing glare.
13" widescreen HD display
Pro Pen – ultra-fine precision, 2048 pressure levels and tilt recognition

This time around, the Windows 8.1 base model (Entry, as it's called) is priced at $1,299 with a 64GB SSD, a 1.7GHz Intel Core i3 CPU, Intel HD 4400 graphics and 4GB of RAM. Value ($1,599) and Standard ($1,999) versions take up the mid-range with spec boosts of their own, and a $2,499 Premium unit packs in a 512GB SSD, 3.1GHz Intel Core i7 processor, Intel Iris 6100 graphics and 16GB RAM.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/06/wacom-cintiq-companion-2/

• Like 1

• Contributor

Thank you very much Carlosan ,

seen all wacom products from the very start , unfortunately i find them all out of my budget at this period.

This is going to be a hard case for me , i see it now....

• 3 weeks later...

The  Wacom isn't really any better than the Surface Pro 2 or 3.. or the HP Pro x2 612, which also uses a Wacom digitizer and Intel graphics. the advantage to the Wacom is that it can be plugged into your desktop pc and used as a Cintiq- well, at least the V1 version could.

Edited by Ashe
  • Like 1