3DCoat Forums

Managing memory whilst sculpting multiple objects

arumiat

• Advanced Member

Hi guys,

For the first time today I got a message from 3DC that I was about to run out of memory, 3DC was unstable and about to exit. I was prompted to save my file which I did. Re-opening the same file gave a message that it was corrupted or broken and indeed some meshes were missing. Luckily I had a recent backup.

I have multiple objects in the scene, some in surface and some in object mode.

post-38412-0-52990900-1421691286_thumb.p

I'm running Windows 7 with a dedicated GT870M Nvidia and i7 processor with 16GB or RAM. This hasn't happened before and I'm working w less triangles than normal.

I read/watched somewhere that you need to manage memory by caching models whilst not working on them. I've tried doing this but it hasn't affected the memory number in the bottom left of the scene. 

post-38412-0-36493800-1421691322_thumb.p

Be great to hear if anyone has any words of wisdom on this topic?

• Reputable Contributor

Another way of conserving memory.

The below is for if you used too many polygons to sculpt the model / detail to capture said detail. That is a very common mistake of new users. I am not saying you did this but just that it is common for newer users.

A whole person with medium detail can be sculpted with about 2 million polygons in surface mode which gives you lots of room for adding the fine details...

If you have more polygons than needed to capture your detail then you could decimate the amount of polygons per layer according..

Decimate tries to retain details.

Top menu/ Geometry Menu / Decimate (Geometry menu formally was called Voxels)

Then if needed run smooth all at the bottom of the left tool panel. Choosing the relaxation method at about 1. or 1.5 settings

You can also decimate locally by using the the Clean Clay brush under the LiveClay brushes. Left tool panel "LiveClay Tools"

I like the Reduce setting under the Clean Clay brush setting the best when doing large board areas as it averages the tris as you reduce the triangle count. If you need to reduce the finer detail areas, then use the Decimate setting. The amount of detail reduced is by setting it in the Clean Clay tool panel.

As always make a good backup copy before doing any decimating or in fact I generally keep a good up-to-date backup copy when doing important work.

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

Was the above method I was using digman a 'correct' one then? I can't see any change to my memory in the bottom left corner when I do this..

Thanks for the tips on bringing poly count down, very useful. The odd thing is I'm not using that many triangles, - it looks like 750,000 or so. 

T

• Reputable Contributor

Yes, proxy mode is ok when you really need it but use it carefully as at one time it still had a few bugs... I have not tested it in quite a while. If you use proxy mode just make sure you keep a nice clean backup copy just in case before you commit layers to proxy mode.

Your entire scene is 750,000 or is it just one layer...

In our upcoming Skype conversation, the memory issue for sure will be one topic on the list...

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

Okay that's good to know, I don't have a clean backup but I will start creating these from here on in. 

I set the visiblity to on in the Voxtree of every object (layer) in scene, zoomed out so all meshes are visible and the scene count came in at ~750,000, I'll show you tomorrow. I wonder if memory processes were getting eaten up elsewhere on the system perhaps.