3DCoat Forums

Poor Color Blending Issues

RabenWulf

• Advanced Member

I am currently having an issue I have noticed with 3d coat prior but never quite found a solution for...I'm hoping someone has dealt with this before and knows how to get cleaner textures from 3d coat.

So whats happening is this:

ScreenHunter_80Jan241629_zpse7e80364.jpg

The textures have this grainy and compressed look to them... Its almost as if the brush cant paint a wide range of colors to make up for the blending... Is there a solution to this or what am I doing wrong in 3d coat to cause this poor color range?

• Advanced Member

Can you export and check how it looks on another software?

This will help to determine if its a driver issue or texture issue , or 3d coat settings.

Here's the exported textures in Marmoset TB2

ScreenHunter_80Jan271515_zpsf39e7a10.jpg

I only have this issue with 3d coat and what comes out of it. I can blend just find in Krita, Modo..ect

• Advanced Member

Check on Photoshop.

On 16bit i get similar results.

I'm a bit confused by what there is to check via photoshop. The exports out of 3d coat has the same look as it is in the viewport. Same with photoshop.

Add: Wait do you mean see what its info is according to PS?  If I export as a tga/png from 3dcoat its saying 8bit in PS.  That may be it...

Edited by RabenWulf

• Contributor

What i meant is

Open the texture you are importing for texturing in 3d coat  with photoshop,

Go , image --> mode.

Is it 8bit? 16bit ?

-----------------------------------------

Also if you are saying that it gives the same corrupt look when exported from 3d coat , its sounds like

a) driver issue that corrupts the image when importing to 3d coat , and then 3d coat export its corrupted

and or

B) 3d coat setting.

Can you upload the texture you are using or send via pm?

Edited by Michaelgdrs

• Advanced Member

Yeah just got what you meant. Its exporting as 8bit for some reason....

Is there a place to set the bit dept in 3d coat like we do with PS? Im hesitant to think its a driver issue due to all my other software being fine. The odd thing is its viewable like that in the viewport, even before it exports as seen with the default cube.

ADD: If I send it to an external editor from 3dcoat (Krita) and paint on the layers there... the issue is not present.

Edited by RabenWulf

• Contributor

8 bit RGB is fine.

I dont think its possible to see the bit in 3c coat.

Saying about drivers , because it gave me some issues , when other software were ok.

I updated the drivers and everything came to normal.

Can you send me the texture so i can test it myself for you?

Just a cropped area will do.

• Advanced Member

8 bit RGB is fine.

I dont think its possible to see the bit in 3c coat.

Saying about drivers , because it gave me some issues , when other software were ok.

I updated the drivers and everything came to normal.

Can you send me the texture so i can test it myself for you?

Just a cropped area will do.

Nah its fine, nothing work related... lets see if the attach file option works.  Export straight out of 3DC.

Add: ok that didnt work...brb finding a file host.

post-38911-0-88419300-1422403302_thumb.p

Edited by RabenWulf

• Advanced Member

Everything looks ok here.

Hmmm.....

Also the displays probably make a difference in seeing the effect as well. Currently using a cintiq 20wsx and a LG 32LB5600. Cant help but feel that its something in 3d coat which is causing that effect. I'd hate to have to drop it for another painting app (since few are worth using for hand painted textures).

Add: its entirely done in 3d coat. 3d model was sculpted in 3d coat as well, autotopo and then painted. I have krita set up as the external editor but I havent gotten to that stage where I am going to use it.

Edited by RabenWulf

• Contributor

I see now.

Then i must agree i think.

It seems its a 3d coat related issue.

Check your brush settings , play a bit and see if it changes the effect.

Also i am thinking pressure from the tablet , as i had some issues with wacom myself.

Changed the pressure from tablet drivers and this solved it.

If you have win 7 , also disable the pen service , it causes issues.

• Advanced Member

Been playing around with it for awhile, tried everything I can think of (while still being new to 3d coat).. Don't think its something on the wacom side of things (again other apps no issues). Some settings possibly in 3d coat... but if they exist I havent found it yet. One would think even with the default settings (fresh install) would fix it...

As for OS, its Win 8.1 (<3 classic shell). All nvidia drivers have been updated, even clean install. Global settings originally gave me some UI issues but they fixed themselves once I put them on default.  Issue seems even more noticeable on my surface pro (file wise).

I'm all out of ideas... Cant use 3d coat like this.

(happens with ptex painting as well, might be tied to the brush or internal color range?)

Edited by RabenWulf

• Contributor

Its strange , yes i agree.

Honestly i gave all my shots to help here , most of them , related to issues i had and solved them.

On painting , everything is fine here , in any mode.

What can i say , why dont you post this as a bug?

Its a shame to drop 3d coat if this is fixable , which i honestly believe it is 100000%.

Falloff = 0

spec channel = off

paint using only opacity channel

help ?

is the only layer ?

if U isolate the layer, the display show the same ?

is there another layer with multiply over all ?

Are you using wacom ?

try to change brush pressure

post-10142-0-05746700-1422408365_thumb.j

• Advanced Member

Falloff = 0

spec channel = off

paint using only opacity channel

help ?

is the only layer ?

if U isolate the layer, the display show the same ?

is there another layer with multiply over all ?

Are you using wacom ?

try to change brush pressure

attachicon.gifAre you using wacom.jpg

Tried with the falloff from 0-100, no difference in quality. I did notice was not as apparent if I used a much smaller brush radius, but that pretty much means you are stuck working at micro levels. Even trying to smooth doesnt have an effect on those weird color distortions.

Tried it on a new pixel painted object, a default cube, a sphere... ect all with just one layer and its the same. In the original project I did have an AO like map on multiply but the new tests have no such thing and feature the same issue.

Also have tried with both settings tied to the wacom pressure and on mouse mode.