3DCoat Forums

How to prevent overlapping UVs?

Upon Infinity

Hi,

I keep getting overlapping UVs when I attempt to get high poly counts in my retopology through subdivide.  This results in painting in one area of the object being reflected in other parts.  Is there a good method of avoiding this?  I would attempt to change them in the editor but the islands are too small to change easily.  Also, isn't the program supposed to separate them automatically? 

post-38115-0-86130500-1422439678_thumb.j

Edited by Upon Infinity

• Contributor

There are overlapping UVs.

post-24378-0-67729200-1422482580_thumb.j

Did you see?

Make a extra seam in that area.

New Unwrap.

Then delete every unused stuff like your Retopogroup1, it is empty.

Clean your PaintRoom -> Delete every layer but not Layer0 and delete all objects in Paint Objects

Then start a new bake. Hide your Highpoly and switch to Paint Room.

Now you have a nice object without overlapping stuff.

• Reputable Contributor

I will add the picture where you can place the new seam... Also your model is non-uniform in the voxel room. The red message at the bottom is an error message. Under the vox tree tab select to Global space to correct the error. Non un-uniform models can have baking errors...

Yep, you already had an overlaying uv island on itself...

Follow Malo's advice to the letter about rebaking...

post-518-0-43633100-1422483780_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman

• Reputable Contributor

Non-uniform space is that the voxels are stretched out along one axis plane. Voxels are in other words 3D pixels and just like 2D images will stretch out of shape along their vertical or horizontal plane losing their aspect ratio so too voxels along either the xy or z planes. This rule is imposed for surface mode even though they are tri-polygons as not keeping a good underlying structure would not cause problems.

If any uv island is overlaying itself after unwrapping by all means you need a few more seams. That is how Malo and I fixed your problem plus found another problem and the very reason Malo asked for you to upload the 3DC file, as it is just faster in some cases to solve the problem without out going through several back and forth texting in the thread...

And a big thanks for the video as I saw the overlapped on itself uv island right away...

Edited by digman

• Contributor

The size of the uv-island is not the problem.

I think there is a problem with 3d coat itself.

It looks like 3d coat makes a twist on your island, you have this twist sometimes on easier and smaller islands, too.

I have no idea what causes that problem.

In your chase it was easy to fix it with one extra seam. But sometimes, you have to switch to a differnt software an make the unwrap there.