3DCoat Forums

Jama`s sketchbook

Jama

Hi everybody.

I`m quite new guy here.

However i`ve been using 3d coat in my professional career for a while.

And i honestly believe it deserves way more attention because it is a very powerful and creative program.

I`m coming from a 2D background but i found 3dcoat to be  the best tool to create concepts in 3D.

It has a huge set of unique features and i`m really looking forward to seeing it being developed even further

Will be sharing some of my sketches and WIP`s here.

Jama Jurabaev

Senior Concept Artist, Framestore.

jamajurabaev.com

8a9e5ed12671.jpg

d892516cc475.jpg

b89d8d6b6f30.jpg

77fb0c02b986.jpg

54c4ce14b3a9.jpg

e7ed6820b294.jpg

5dffe0c390cd.jpg

4211bf79a8b8.jpg

bb8a16ca25c7.jpg

• Like 8

• Contributor

Yours are the first real scenes I seen produced in 3D-Coat. I'm working on a scene that I build piecemeal in 3DC and assemble in c4D. It currently takes most of my VRAM in C4D, Your scenes will be a challenge in the retopo room if that's your plan. Congratulations.

Thank you!

Tony, in general i use 3D coat as a base for my concepts or paintovers. That is why i usually never need to retopologize. 

Keyshot is very good in handling millions of polys generated by 3Dcoat..i use it as my main renderer.

some of older works

2b6c92ff7a42.jpg

057bc1906d65.jpg

• Like 5

• Contributor

Great work!

So those soldier and tank scenes were meant to be painted over for storyboards? I've often felt that it can be faster and easier to use 3D to help with storyboarding (instead of drawing it all from scratch by hand, because you can easily rotate the 3D models to create new shots from different angles).

Thanks,

yep.. 3d gives more flexibility when it comes to angles and overall exploration of a shot.

3d coat is one of the best tools to establish quick block-outs and designs.

i`ll post more samples later.

thanks a lot for your support!

• Contributor

Jama, I like that gritty noisy visuals of your WW2 visualisation. I'd like to ask you three questions that keep me awake.

The first question is: whith what software did you render your scenes?

The second question: was the noise you applied to the objects done in 3D-Coat or some other soft? I'm mostly referring to the last image of your first post, which I find awesome.

Aaand the last question: Ardennes or Hürtgen forests? :)

Hi,

renders are done in Keyshot.. i think it is the best to handle millions of polygons coming from 3D coat.

Noise mainly comes from a carve tool and textures. 

I like carve tool...it feels like spraying pixels in 3d space:)

Ardennes:)

Some pretty old hard surface stuff.

da177c2a4623.jpg

• Like 4

Some of examples from professional work i`ve done for Marvel`s Guardians of the galaxy.

I used 3d coat to do very rough sketches which i used to paintover later on once the main design was approved.

Attaching final designs as well, first ended up being in the movie.

2bf569b16c86.jpg9aab7bb039ff.jpg4befcdc16f22.jpg3ff2c8ca2743.jpg044e5a41a180.jpg1d99442e8b94.jpg6df404cbe94e.jpgc7726b7f3d37.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • Reputable Contributor

I have enjoyed viewing your work here... Also very much like your 2D concept sketches at your personal site.  Reminds me of Craig Mullins work. Both of you have the beautiful use of light in your sketches...

• Contributor

I have enjoyed viewing your work here... Also very much like your 2D concept sketches at your personal site.  Reminds me of Craig Mullins work. Both of you have the beautiful use of light in your sketches...

Indeed! Really worth a look.