3DCoat Forums

Export to Substance Painter with Texture Sets?

existe

Go to solution Solved by Malo,

I saw a few older threads on this, didn't want to necro them so figured would start a new thread.

I am attempting to export out of 3DC a single OBJ with Material IDs/Texture sets defined so I can leverage them inside of Substance Painter.

I know how to create the UV Tile Sets in 3DC and move the UVs for each portion of the mesh into them, I then tie that UV Set to a layer in the paint room and fill it with a unique color that binds a Material ID I believe (saw it on the Kalten Gun video).  I export the OBJ with the "Export UV Sets as Tiles" checked and then import this into Substance Painter

Substance Painter recognizes the texture sets but since they are tiled it cannot read the set that is one spot to the right.

post-37534-0-74357700-1424792039_thumb.j

post-37534-0-71009500-1424792040_thumb.j

If I try to export without the tile setting then Substance Painter no longer recognizes the texture sets.

Seems that I need both UV sets on the same tile for Substance Painter but with different Material IDs, question is how?  What am I missing?

• Like 1

Ok I moved the other UV set into the same space with 3DC, applied the UVs after the move, kept my different layers in the paint room and success!  Now I just need to bake my maps, assuming I have to do that prior to the UV space merge.

This is not a very straight forward process at all, hopefully I am just doing it the difficult way and hopefully someone can shed some light on a less cumbersome workflow.

• Like 1

My workflow was to get everything into Marmoset.  After some offline discussion with Malo and some deeper understanding the workflow is working now.

• Within Zbrush I defined each portion of the Mesh as a polygroup
    • Each polygroup = a UV Set/Material Set in 3D-Coat = a texture set in Substance Painter = a group under the mesh in Marmoset
  • I exported the single subtool (with defined polygroups) out of Zbrush into a OBJ
  • Imported Zbrush OBJ into 3D-Coat and setup my UV sets and Material sets (as described by Malo above)
  • Exported out of 3D-Coat as a OBJ with UVs and normal maps
  • Imported OBJ produced from 3D-Coat into Substance Painter (Texture sets are present)
  • Upon completing my painting in SP I exported all Maps out

post-37534-0-79953800-1424869586_thumb.j

• Imported 3D-Coat OBJ into Marmoset and proceeded to create 3 materials using the Maps from Substance Painter and applied them

post-37534-0-83576000-1424869579_thumb.p

A very big thank you to Malo very helping me with this and his time, very appreciated!

Edited by existe

Developed a much easier workflow (for me) to get from Zbrush to Substance Painter to Marmoset for those interested.  I will say this though, I enjoy Substance Painter and I will continue to use it but I am finding the PBR addition to 3DC just as enjoyable and sometimes more flexible, its nice having both tools in the toolbox.

1.  Within Zbrush I defined each portion of the Mesh that I want to separate into a SP texture set as a polygroup
a.  Each polygroup = a Material in Blender = a texture set in Substance Painter = a group under the mesh in Marmoset
2.  I exported the single subtool (with defined polygroups) out of Zbrush as an OBJ
3.  I imported the Zbrush OBJ into Blender and set a Material for each group listed (which should be each polygroup defined in Zbrush)
a.  Set the Material name to be something more identifiable in Substance Painter
4.  Exported the Blender OBJ out
a.  Be sure you have Material ID setting checked under export options 
5.  Imported Blender OBJ into 3D-Coat and unwrapped my UVs, only had to use one UV set
6.  Exported out of 3D-Coat as a OBJ with UVs
7.  Baked maps with xNormal
8.  Imported 3D-Coat OBJ into Substance Painter and texture sets were present (which are really just material IDs from Blender)
9.  Upon completing my painting in SP I exported all Maps out
10.  Imported 3D-Coat OBJ into Marmoset, create a material for each polygroup and apply

Reason I find this workflow easier is because I only have to create one UV set in 3D-Coat and I can now bake out Normals and AO in xNormal.  I guess in theory I could just do UV work in Blender but I find the UV toolset in 3D-Coat more enjoyable and again I could then argue just to stay in 3D-Coat to do my PBR work and then into Marmoset  :)
  • Like 1