3DCoat Forums

This is to bring again attention to the Auto - Retopo routine.

digman

• Reputable Contributor

This is to bring again attention to the Auto - Retopo routine. Now Andrew and staff are too busy getting PBR 4.5 out the door but I would still like to talk about it a little as the routine is a promoted feature of 3DC which is in need of some development time. Of course, I have no real idea of it's development time table. Andrew and Raul could be working on it now. I just have no way of knowing unless it is posted in this thread.

The current round of development is bringing us great improvements. PBR, Anti-Bump, better brushing in the Paint Room, Tapering angle for undercuts and slew of other improvements.

First, I hope Raul is working on it while in Cuba as it needs some good fine tuning or ditched for a new routine. I read a few things that Raul is doing in Cuba.

Enough has been discussed about the problems of the current routine to go into all the details. No sense beating a dead horse.

The picture shows the main reason I very seldom use the Auto Retopo routine.

The simple model has missing polygons, twisted polygons and overly large polygons as the routine does not handle polygon distribution well.

This only gets worse as models become more complicated plus producing more problems than mentioned here. The simple model just underlines the base problems of the current routine.

This post is not meant to be critical but this part of the 3DC workflow causes users and new users frustration as it is promoted as a strong feature of 3DC which does not currently work as well as it could.

post-518-0-23748000-1424106451_thumb.png

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Actually I have had some success with A-R, starting with a 75% Decimate and letting the algorithm do it's thing without my interference, With this workflow I was able to do a lot of filigree stuff and some letters. 

It is not a question of success but being dependable in that success... I have success too but even in your statement you have to fiddle with it... Again the problems associated with Auto-Retopo reported by a large range of users is what I am addressing and I am not trying to resurrect them here. 

I have done a large number of models, some success as I know how to fiddle too but there are many, many failures across a wide range of model types or you have to fix too many problem areas, then you might as well manually retopo...

Edited by digman

• Reputable Contributor

Auto-Retopology/quadrangulation will be getting a large amount of attention after the release of 4.5. So get those bug reports in for it, and how you want it to function ASAP.

Thanks for the heads up Javis, much appreciated... :good2:

Auto-Retopology/quadrangulation will be getting a large amount of attention after the release of 4.5. So get those bug reports in for it, and how you want it to function ASAP.

Is the retopo room going to be getting attention, or just this feature specifically? I wouldn't mind seeing a number of improvements across the board there.

I'm sure it will, in time. Not taking bugs/fixes/enhancements into account here, because it gets those now. The Paint Room is still the focus and will be for some time. The Auto Retopology function is getting some specific fixes and attention. :)

Sketch Based Retopo  will take a long time.

http://igl.ethz.ch/projects/sketch-retopo/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OTl_TtAm1o#t=90

I'm sure it will, in time. Not taking bugs/fixes/enhancements into account here, because it gets those now. The Paint Room is still the focus and will be for some time. The Auto Retopology function is getting some specific fixes and attention. :)

Ah ok, that's for the best I'd say.

The retopo room could certainly use work, but would rather Andrew not jump ship from the Paint room while am still waiting for/expecting various improvements (*cough* masks *cough*).

Edited by PolyHertz
  • Like 1