3DCoat Forums

your weekly graphic card question

Srogue

Hello hi, I'm sorry, this is a question that probably comes up a lot over here, but Google or search don't cover everything. Or its just very outdated and I'm really REALLY not very techy at all, I'm trying tho, my PC doctor is of no help either he keeps addressing AMD cards. (specs at the bottom ) 

I would absolutely want to make fully worked out game ready characters and dive deeper into 3D, if possible in 3DC because I just like the workflow, and I was thrilled to find an affordable sculpting all around program,I love 3DC, buuuuut I'm having technical difficulties that surfaced even faster in 3DC because of how it works, Voxels n all. More than often 3DC shuts down with messages like 'not enough virtual memory' and simply 'not enough memory' or crashes and has me send the errors to the devs. But I gather its related. Not to mention making holes in the mesh. 

As for virtual memory I have been doing research, my PC has full access to 16364MB, I didn't have to change anything in preferences so that's the full 16 RAM being used. At least I suspect it to be. Do I perhaps have to change something in 3DC itself ? 

My graphic card is a whole different story tho '1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 5800 Series (MSI)' I suspect this is the culprit.

I'd very much like a CUDA card to give 3DC more power. After browsing here I found some cards, but I'd like to have more experienced people to take a look at what the best solution is I'd rather not find out I'v done a misbuy. I'v found the EVGA line recommended here ranging from  the budget one to the slightly more expensive 

However in the store I'v found the ASUS line, the prices are nearly identical, maybe even a bit cheaper I think I'v seen this one at the store . 

Is there a significant performance difference between these two lines ? I'm pretty sure I'v seen a 4gig ASUS geforce as well that didn't reach 300 euro, or is the EVGA still the better one for 3D work.

And, regardless of series, would the cheaper ones have enough horsepower to not crash and minimize the lag ? Or do I have no choice to go to the more expensive solutions if I want to work headache free ? 

ofcourse the specs ; 

Operating System
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.40GHz
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
16,0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz 
Motherboard
MSI Z68A-G43 (G3) (MS-7750) (SOCKET 0)
Graphics
MD 20144 (1920x1080@60Hz) (screen 1)
AAA (1440x900@60Hz) (Ugee 19" tablet monitor) 
1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 5800 Series (MSI)
Storage
931GB Western Digital WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0 ATA Device (SATA)
465GB SAMSUNG HD501LJ ATA Device (SATA)
465GB SAMSUNG HD501LJ ATA Device (SATA)
Optical Drives
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-222BB ATA Device
DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

• Reputable Contributor

Depends upon what else you are going to use the card for.... 3DC and gaming then the 970s or 980s... Also rendering using your GPU then the 780 and 780ti (Titan's little brothers) are better. They are harder to find as the new Titans are about it the market in the next few months and they will have little brothers I am sure too...

There is a lflap over the 4 gb vram in the 970s, google it...

780 or 780ti have a 384 bit bus vs 256 bit and the cuda cores compute power is better than the 970s and 980s. FP64 = 1/24 FP32  vs  FFP64 = 1/32 FP32 of the 900 series. The 780s cost more but are good cuda video cards and more so if you cuda compute with them in Renderers using GPU rendering. 

My Nivida 550TI is better at cuda compute FP64 = 1/8 FP32 than the 780s but I have only 200 cuda cores...

I will buy the new Titan X when it comes out for my computer upgrade. I have waited some years to upgrade so the price, appox estimate price give or take 1000 bucks is fine with me... I will get great cuda compute and 12 gigs of Vram plus a 384 bit bus. :D

Also Andrew has not recompiled for a newer Cuda version. 3DC still uses Cuda 3...

The above is to the best of my knowledge...

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

Hmmmm, I'm terrible at choosing so this took a good day to mill about.

As much as I love my games to be 'all pretty' I'v barley bought a graphic demanding game in the last 2 years, and the only ones I'm looking out for currently are No mans Sky and Fallout 4, I think I'll survive a few months them without an actual game card. I might temporarily go for a 750ti ( EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti )while saving up for a better one. Unless its really not able to pull of a clothed character, I probably won't go to complex, still learning and all. 

780(ti) I actually hadn't seen those ! They sound great, even tho a bit more pricey than I'm used too but I knew that would eventually be the case. Really doubt I'll be able to get the cash soon, my best bet is probably to start saving up a good 400 to 500 bucks and keep an eye out on that particular series :) 

Great to hear you're upgrading thats one beast of a card ! At this moment a 1000 is a bit to much so I'll pass,it IS something I'm willing to consider in the future, because a card like that must be able to chew true everything, wow do want eheh . 

Thank you so much for everything ! You've been a great help :D 

• Reputable Contributor

Yeah, I waited a long, long time...  The Titan X will make up for all the stepping stones video cards I did not buy... LOL

750TI has a 128 bit bus, 640 cuda cores at FP64 = 1/32 FP32 same as the 900 series... The 2 gig of ram will help and might be a card that will hold you over.

I do not know where your problems lie, maybe too many polygons or voxels for your current detail level. With a 16 gig system ram computer and the intel cpu you should be able to handle things pretty well.

This old wip of mine at meduim detail has appox 6 million polygons\ 46 layers in the sculpt room for the entire scene. Something your system should handle hands down before moving to adding higher details.

Poor old Gladiator, saids you have now shown me several times, when in the heck are you going to finish me.

post-518-0-42333000-1426285983_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

I'm going to make notes of what this system can hold,I don't know exactly how high it was on my current work, had to desemate because of the lag. Witch is fine as long as its not hurting the work in general ofcourse. But yeah I'm just as surprised, I don't know nor understand it either as 16 RAM is still pretty much even now. Its pretty frustrating I thought this would be good enough for the work in question. 

Daw ,yes you should pose him up for rendering ! He looks awesome :D