3DCoat Forums

Modeling Dental Equipment

L'Ancien Regime

• Advanced Member

I posted this on another thread;

11041949_797888636959040_679816757021084

and far from being just an offhand sketch, for me it was a proof of concept; that 3d Coat's modeling tools were enough to do serious realistic work, particularly hard edged work.

So for my first real project after this little study I decided to begin a series with this little steel dentist's torque wrench. I'll be making more of the tools and setups for inserting dental implants in the coming weeks as time allows. After a lot of pushing from digman, I've finally found religion in cutting tools, thinking like a machinist. 

It'll will be interesting to see how far we can push this and find out just what is possible and what is impossible with voxels and booleans and geometric primitives.

All that's left to do is one or two little touch ups and the painted logo and measurement markings on the torque slotted stay.  The real torque wrench is only about 2.75 inches.

T9AniwB.jpg

WJztT1T.jpg

3RXdfGS.jpg

piMWIud.jpg

8yGc3FH.jpg

Edited by L'Ancien Regime
  • Like 6

• Advanced Member

That looks awseome. Didn't know, that you could work so smooth and clean in a sculpting program. Would you mind to share some insights of how you did that?

Would be really nice!

Thanks a lot!

It's about rapidly making cutting tools. Here's a simple bevel;

LTufmYF.jpg

KNzJoZm.jpg

vPoRA0I.jpg

9bQkDHI.jpg

DY1Zidi.jpg

You're going to be using the Primitives Tool a alot! Also you're going to make tools and store them in the Models menu that you can insert as cutting tools using the boolean subtract or add  or intersect. When you insert a new primitive / model/ cutting tool into the scene don't forget to put it in a new layer or you won't be able to perform a boolean cut with it by subracting it or adding it or intersecting it with another layer.

9exMu1Y.jpg

• Like 3

• Advanced Member

You'll use the cutting tool a lot  too, often with symmetry and  always in orthographic mode.

XAQ8vZ1.jpg

8chNeUS.jpg

Zjv3ulL.jpg

ErsGLCQ.jpg

There's no pat solution for every problem. You're going to just have to sit down and think, sometimes hard about how you're going to emulate a problem that reality hands you.

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

And you'll need to learn the lathe tool which is located in the Primitives tab

lpbbBZW.jpg

IdQVHt2.jpg

And you'd better become the master of the Pose tool too.

IMRtipg.jpg

I wouldn't think of using it without the Orthographic view in a set pane, like top front, right left bottom etc.

[

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

Digman and I found that the Axial Tool was buggy so he showed me that Symmetry works better if you alter it's settings to radial and choose the number of copies you want to replciate

S6LGLWn.jpg

nlJcsqR.jpg

6TevW1f.jpg

o8Q5or6.jpg

thEsDG2.jpg

:D

And if this seems all new to you, well it's almost as new to me too; I didn't realize this kind of hard edge work was possible in 3D Coat until this weekend after a few digman inspired experiments I made. . The power of an idea!

• Like 5

I am speechless  :o  . Thank you so much for taking this hugh amount of time to lighten my little light bulb above my head :)!

Seriously, I appriciate your detailes answere will try all you posted!

:D

Edited by red2blue

• Contributor

This is going to be a very interesting thread, albeit a little bit "painful" to follow (anyone remembers those low speed drills some dentists had in the 80's?) ;)

Looking forward to see more of your work. :)

• Advanced Member

20 megapixels for $119.00!!

And it does really nice macro shots effortlessly. I'm still using my Canon Powershot 14 megapixel camera and  I get this quality hand held

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SLNPU08?psc=1

This version is only $109.00 for 20 megapixels.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Digital-Camera-Silver/dp/B00I58LZRG/ref=pd_sim_sbs_p_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=06NR8YVDBNE5TSGE10P5

You can fit them in all sorts of weird little corners too so the size is an important consideration when working at a really small scale.

l0t2U3v.jpg

And you can have it in your pocket all the time so when you see that texture or that form you need to grab in passing you'll have your camera out in the blink of an eye to get it.

• Advanced Member

This is as far as I'm taking the sculpt in this form. Rather than try to sculpt it all as one mass I'm going to clone it all uh...at least 33 times each tooth with its own layer but parented to the mass for moving it around and then carve away the mass leaving just one tooth and the gums.This will allow my to  really separate the teeth in a way that no amount of high resolution carving on one solid mass can do and ultimately this will be better for texturing the gums vs the teeth.. I just love the 3d computer workflow  :D

More and more I'm finding the cut tool is indispensable early on in the mass shaping for giving an object it's fundamental structure, for following it's overall lines and angled masses. It brings me closest to drawing in 3d, it gives the line priorty in defining an object as it should be.

E3Xn7Vr.jpg

kY5CkPZ.jpg

• Advanced Member

Doing it with individual teeth really allows you to focus on the unique geometry of each kind of tooth, it's roundness, it's bevels the way it's planted in the gums.

You want to stay as low res voxels as possible as long as possible when sculpting. When to raise the resolution? When it feels like you're wrestling with a half frozen garbage bag full of jello..

xgdDh0v.jpg

cOeGDhY.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • Advanced Member

id say that's some winning spam botting :D

and its gone...

( it was spam for a dental clinic)

Edited by Aleksey