3DCoat Forums

Unreal Engine - MASTER THREAD

Carlosan

Using Unreal Engine 4 for asset rendering.

by JoseConseco

It is not step by step tutorial how to setup your asset for rendering in Unreal Editor 4, but more of a help to get idea how simple  it is. UE4 options/buttons are self explanatory so I won’t be writing that ‘point light’ button is placing point light on scene.

unrealeditor4.jpg?w=640&h=359

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Reputable Contributor

First, I am learning the game engine as well, not a guru here at all...

It appears you might need though I can not be sure. Check in your scene. 

Sphere Reflection Capture. You need this to capture reflections correctly...

Lightmass Importance Volume. More protons are emitted inside this volume to have higher quality lighting inside this volume. Less Proton bounces are emitted outside this volume. The ElvenRuins level has this volume incasing the most important of the world. I then added a Sphere Reflection Capture so it inclosed my object. Shown in first picture. Second picture I did the same but a different scene.

Research these in the Unreal Documents.

I will continue this thread as I learn more myself.

Attached image: I was testing very shiny metal materials

3DC Settings:

GGX shader: Under the View menu

Roughness / Metalness workflow : Under the Texture / Texture Export / Import Workflow

Normal Map Preset set to Unreal in the Preferences Menu.

Maps Exported.

Albedo / Color

Roughness

Metalness  (do not put the roughness in the metalness alpha channel, that is for Unity 5)

Normal map

post-518-0-50547200-1451765559_thumb.jpg

post-518-0-35127300-1451768913_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman
  • Like 3

Is there a step by step like this?

The thing is its very straight forward. Only says the things that are relevant to the process. Doesn't make you watch him put all the materials together. All of the "heavy lifting" is done before he starts the video. Has anyone seen a tut like this? In 20 min he goes through the entire pipe.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

There is multiple ways to get materials from 3D - Coat into UE4.

I am hoping to do some video tutorials soon using 3D - Coat and getting models and materials into UE4 as it is my engine of choice and 3D - Coat is the modelling program I will be using to produce my assets.

I just need to find the time. I may record myself doing the whole process from start to finish and edit it into a series I can put on Youtube, just to share the knowledge I have picked up. Will have to find the time to do it though, so don't rely on me haha :D

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Unreal Engine 4.13 Released!

Unreal Engine 4.13 has been released and comes loaded with hundreds of updates as well as 145 contributions from the talented developer community via GitHub! This release contains huge additions to Sequencer such as import and export functionality, Alembic support for complex vertex animations, a brand new VR Template with baseline gameplay functionality and much more.

• 1 month later...

Hey,

how can i Scale the Export of FBX for UE4?

I use Millimeters (i think its better for weapons) in 3D Coat and the UE4 have 1uu = 1cm so when import the model it is to big and scale it to 0.01 then it is correct but that is shit with many models.

Someone an idea how you can adjust, so that you only once and then only export and everything fits.

1uu = 1cm -> so you have to use cm in 3DC and then the scale will be right.

Another way is to model a character and then build all assets around his scale -> so place it into 3DC - scale the mesh up - delete the size character.

- Your scene scale is ok ?

EES.jpg

• 8 months later...

https://seblagarde.wordpress.com/2014/04/14/dontnod-physically-based-rendering-chart-for-unreal-engine-4/

I get the permission from Dontnod entertainment to release the graphic chart I, Sophie Van de Velde (Lead environment) and Laurent Harduin (Lighter) made for the artists to help them with the physically based rendering (PBR) workflow present in the Unreal engine 4.