3DCoat Forums

Getting Good Render Results With PBR Materials In 3DCoat - How?

• Advanced Member

Hi Folks,

Whilst the pbr shaders look great in the paint room. I'm having great trouble with getting a good render using the pbr materials.

Are there recommended shaders to use in tandem with pbr materials to achieve good results? Do lights need adjusted differently for PBR materials?

Any do's and don't's with regard rendering pbr materials would be much appreciated.

• Reputable Contributor

Which Renderer or Renderers are you using that support PBR materials plus the beta version of 3DC you are that you do your work in...

3DC

Marmoset

Blender Cycles

Houdini Mantra

Game engine Unreal 4 or Untiy 5.

etc....

Edited by digman

• Advanced Member

Many thanks ajz3d, I have taken a note of your settings (added as a quote on this thread below) and will try them out.

Are these settings only required for rendering in the beta prior to 13 or are these settings still pertinent to rendering pbr materials?

Andrew Shpagin: Finished updating render room, now it renders lights derived from panorama correctly.

If you're rendering a vertex painted model, make sure to set the shader to one of the two available PBR shaders

Are these two available shaders in my default shaders list or somewhere else?

All I could see was the standard list of shaders.

--------------------

It is already possible to render out lighting almost identical to what is displayed in the viewport. Sort of. Although it requires a little bit of tweaking and it doesn't allow for using additional lights.

The workaround I'm using:

1. Set primary light intensity to 100.
  2. Set ambient light to 0.
  3. Lightness to 500*.
  4. AO percentage to 25*.
  5. Delete all custom lights.
  6. Black out the remaining light by setting its colour to (0,0,0) and intensity to 0.

* - The relation of AO percentage and lightness seems to be an exponential function. I only looked up some samples that work good.
Few pairs that return almost identical results on the rendered images:

lightness    ao_percentage

1355            10
   500            25
   262            50
   174            75
   130           100

I mostly use pair 262/50.

The pairs return subtly brighter lighting than the viewport as I like it this way, but you can always darken it to almost perfectly match the viewport by slightly lowering the lightness parameter of each pair.

• Contributor

Are these settings only required for rendering in the beta prior to 13 or are these settings still pertinent to rendering pbr materials?

They're valid only prior to Beta13. Starting from Beta13 version you can easily render PBR without this workaround. v13 comes with a slightly different set of rendering parameters.

Are these two available shaders in my default shaders list or somewhere else?

All I could see was the standard list of shaders.

Those two shaders are somewhere near the top of the default list. They have this blueish preview icon. I'd post a screenshot, but I'm not near a computer with 3D-Coat ATM. Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Here is a pic of the PBR shader...

It was not till beta13 that the render room became fully supported for PBR.

From the Beta13, list of updates...

"Finished render room update, rendering using panorama lights supported!"

We got Beta14 yesterday for Linux, I would imagine Beta14 for the Mac should be out soon.

The Render Room now uses HDR or image base lighting. You can supply your own HDR to give the overall lighting you desire for your scene. Add additional lights for directional shadow falloff, added color and emphasis...

You can still turn your environment lighting down to "0" and just use the regular lights or a blend of the two. I do not know if environment light is just a renaming of the AO or it is calculated differently for PBR... The current AO which appears to be applied more as you boost the environment light is better than the old.

Also you can still choose to use a regular background image. The render room is better now with more ways of creating your scene setup.

Last Picture shows the current way the Linux Beta 14 has for the settings in the Render room.

The Exposition setting appears to be the strength values of the light from the HDR image..

Yikes... I just tested a regular background image and my baked model became semi-transparent in the Render room... I do not know if that will happen in the Mac version or not. Linux uses openGL. I have not tested the Windows version...

Another Yikes... I noticed that the baked model in not effected by the extra scene lights... No problem with the sculpted model in the sculpt room.

It is a Beta...

David

post-518-0-48882800-1426597060_thumb.png

post-518-0-75058700-1426598487_thumb.png

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

Ajz3d and Digman,
much obliged to both of you for your kind assistance on this matter. Your responses has been of great help as truly much has changed about 3DC in such a short time span. A whole lot of new tricks to learn methinks. In consideration I shall wait now for the 4.5 Beta14 for the mac to be released before delving in further with testing renders.