3DCoat Forums

Paint through stencils in colour.

stusutcliffe

Go to solution Solved by digman,

• Advanced Member

Is this not working ...I am pretty sure in the past I could use a coloured stencil and apply its colour?  Should there be another tab called something other than "Stencils"  I have not done this for a while so I am a bit hazy. 

I seem to remember a tab with coloured images in it ( including a picture of Andrew I seem to remember) 

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Been trying to figure this out all night..... I watched an old video,and the tab was called " Materials" , I do not have this anymore..... So what I am thinking is. that it has been replaced by "PBR Materials"? 

I managed to bungle through and figure out how to import my image and paint it on. It just seems not as clear as the old way...just a bunch of images to pick from.   Can someone confirm this is how it is now,so I can stop looking for the old tab...

• Advanced Member

The old style materials usage had an upfront and easy charm like the masks.

You right clicked to paint with material color or left clicked to paint as a stencil using your chosen color.

One thing I liked about it was you could quickly drag and drop images from your desktop in to your old style materials folder.

Maybe you still can? I used it often for reference purpose too.

I've not really spent much time yet with 4.5 so do not know whether the tiling facility of the old material like the masks system is still available?

Since reinvention we have this method of projection.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

Wow Thanks a lot for this it works great!

Far better than Zbrush Spotlight as far as I'm concerned. 

Just the first time out, a sloppy  clumsy voxel paint but it's very vivid in 3d Coat. 

Awesome stuff.

Digman delivers again.

Andrew delivers again. This is a serious improvement in work flow. 

:D  I've been struggling all day to figure out the "new" 3d coat's system. Finally making some headway.

7mFZshs.jpg

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17725#entry122356

:)

Edited by L'Ancien Regime

• Advanced Member

So from what I understand though, you can't paint depth or displacement simultaneously with color and/or gloss now using this technique?

Because I'm finding that texturing with your photos in the surface mode, then trying to paint colors to depth or convex/concave in the paint room is sort of clumsy...is there any hope that we will be able to paint depth/color/gloss simultaneously on in surface mode in the forseeable future?

1ES8Oj5.jpg

Looks like gingerbread with icing sugar on it

SQzm9jy.jpg

Too much porosity and the depth painting looks more like camouflage paint in some areas than it does like an AO layer..

RsXIiqa.jpg

Subdivide and then Mud Tool seem to work the best but it's not a perfect solution yet..

Edited by L'Ancien Regime

• 5 years later...