3DCoat Forums

PBR textures, painting on voxels

Jama

Hey guys,

i`m trying to paint using PBR material on top of my voxel models.

It looks awesome in preview, 

but when i paint i can get a decent specular and color information, but no bump information.

I was wondering if there was a way to paint depth map as well.

I just need this inside 3D coat...so i don`t want to retopolize my models.

I might be asking for too much:)

but it would be nice if someone could help me

Attaching some images.

ba113e52ef94.jpg

a7fec8d67a45.jpg

75e0af706e94.jpg

5d4d00d2b5c6.jpg

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Currently it is not possible with Vertex Painting  (PBR or non PBR) but a feature request has been added at Mantis... I already added my input for the this feature and the reason why it would be very good to have. I will go back to the feature report and add a link to this thread as well and a link to your wip thread.

Your work does showcase the power of 3DC with others of course . If it is possible in the code to do it, I hope that Andrew will add the feature at sometime... I do not know his development schedule.

A heads up. When you start to paint using vertex painting, you no longer are using voxels but have been automatically switched to surface polygon mode.

The Mantis feature request.

http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=1830#bugnotes

Edited by digman

• Reputable Contributor

Painted depth is done with images, so it's not possible to achieve this with vertex painting.

I would hope Andrew could code it in so that the depth information in a (PBR material or Non PBR) greyscale image would act like a stencil does now in the sculpt room for true depth. This could be done internally, the depth PBR Channel would be tied to the Sculpt room in some fashion. I am not sure it this possible or not in the code of 3DC. It might mean a deep re-writing of the code which is not a thing a developer likes to do unless it super critical to the program.

• Reputable Contributor

Ok, this as me thinking of a workaround.

Load the PBR depth image as a stencil in the sculpt room. Use a spline tool to apply the stencil (Cube mapping) over the entire surface mode object. Now go to the Paint room, bake your curvature and AO maps. Next apply the PBR material for vertex painting...

I will test the method to see if it will function good enough but it might not work but worth a test... :moil:

I love 3DC, I have not had so much fun with any other program in the last 8 years that is sitting on my hard drive......... :drinks:

EDIT:

Problem one... no way to apply the depth conditional maps even without testing... Base layer depth might work... Ok, off to testing.

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

Hey guys,

thank you so much for your help and extensive answers.

It makes sense.

However it would be awesome if this feature could be introduced in later versions.

Because as a concept artist..i just need to able to use powerful PBR`s to design textures for my voxel model.

3D coat is a great program..i honestly believe that it is more artistic and creative program than anything else out there.

I was playing with models with UV`s yesterday..it is very promising.

Is there a way to auto-retopologize voxel models quickly ?

6acee31c5b0f.jpg

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

I hope as well that Andrew could make vertex painting using greyscale depth images create real depth on the surface mode model.... That would be sweet...

3 video tutorials on the Auto-retopo feature of 3DC.

Now the auto retopo has mixed results, sometimes great and other times pulling your hair out... LOL

Andrew is going to re-do the auto retopo routine after 4.5 is released, so we should get a better more refine version and less bugs.

I have another down and dirty method that works and will post this later today...

Note: The newer versions of 3DC does not have the xyz selections in the tool panel. Turn on the axis you want to use before running auto retopo

Edited by digman

• Reputable Contributor

Method 2: It is the down and dirty method for when you do not feel like messing with the Auto-Retopo routine. Of course this is for only static models.

Decimation...

Clone the high polygon mesh and switch to surface mode.

Decimate the cloned high polygon model down to a lower polygon mesh. Decimation in surface model tries to keep the details...

Export that mesh out as your retopo mesh.

Hide the decimated mesh and un-hide the high polygon mesh.

Import the lower polygon mesh into the retopo room as your retopo mesh. Select no when asked to snap the retopo mesh to the surface mode model.

Use the UV Path tool to create your seams. This tool works great and his fast on non edge loop models.

Unwrap and Bake for normal map.

PBR materials will now have the depth channel usable.

Picture shows two older models of mine completed this way... PBR materials and rendering not shown for quality but to just show the method.

Statue decimated to 13,000 polygons

Book decimated to 16,000 polygons and the floor to 1,000 polygons.

Last picture shows the statue retopo mesh. Even though the topology is messy but it is not without order. The details are maintained using decimation as much as possible and then the normal map fills in the rest.

post-518-0-53976600-1427385757_thumb.jpg

post-518-0-15567800-1427385777_thumb.jpg

post-518-0-97265100-1427386279_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman
  • Like 3

Wow, these are great.

thank you very much for such a detailed and helpful answers..

i was messing around with autoretopo yesterday... got not very good results, especially for hardsurface stuff.

i`ll try with decimated models as well.

Actually i realised  that lack of bump map is not a big deal, for the purposes i`m using 3dcoat for..

it is still the best tool for quick concepts

i`ll post some stuff later 

once again, thanks a lot for your help,

i really appreciate it!

• Contributor

I have found that Decimating before Autopo is also very helpful. This enabled me to Autopo some filigree type objects that would have been very tedious to do manually. The edge flow was not as good, of course but using 'auto-seams' was alright as no no animation was to occur.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Using pbr material depth channel as stencil for surface sculpting would be great. Or add ability for fill tool in paint room, to displace vertex positions - so it would work as surface noise in zbrush. 

Edited by JoseConseco