3DCoat Forums

Best way to bend an object?

stevecullum

• Advanced Member

I agree the warp tool is a bit of a mystery or at least hard to understand and I believe it to be a little unstable. To answer your question though:

1. I created a tube from the primitives menu. (edit options to get desired size etc.)

2. Use the "Cut Off" tool to delete half of the tube once it is created.

3. Use the "Pose Tool" with the "Paint Select" option and rectange marquee stroke. Turn on symmetry. Select very end of one of the legs. May have to reset the axis of the transform tool when it appears. Drag the selection to desired length.

It's a bit of a work around, but try it out.

• Reputable Contributor

Also you can set the pose tool falloff in the tool's panel. The Pose Tool is very powerful once get the hang of it, so do not be discouraged about it's usefulness. Play around with it for awhile...

In the picture I used the pose tool to bend the elongated cube. Then used a few other tools including the pose tool again to get the shape I wanted.

Tools used.

Pose tool

Cut off tool

Symmetry Copy

Pose tool last of all again.

A heads up, if you the transform tool to stretch the cube along one axis, you will get a red warning at the bottom of the tool panel. Right click the vox layer tab that the object is in and choose to global space to fix.

Stretching along one axis when importing a primitive is not a problem...

post-518-0-77112000-1428026723_thumb.png

Edited by digman

• Advanced Member

The pose tool in its several falloff forms and each falloff's potential for variation make it one of the most powerful tools in the 3d Coat toolkit. This is just two cylinders being merged together using the Pose tool in this case set to sphere falloff and then twisted.

dstQjr8.jpg\

Edited by L'Ancien Regime

• Advanced Member

This shows the various selection falloffs you can choose...

55Ovr3N.jpg

Line falloff selection..

f4DAgUh.jpg

FwNCvng.jpg

Ring falloff selection

xftR7sI.jpg

q7yfYGX.jpg

Sphere falloff selection

v2ZeT9f.jpg

80nqSJD.jpg

Paint falloff selection

mJOkuBV.jpg

To make a selection of an area to be bent by any of these variations it's highly recommended you go into Orthogonal Mode (Num 5) and then hit a few from top front or sides (Num 2 for example)  Then stretch the selector along the object you want to bend.

You can vary the strength of the selection by the length of line you snap out and by the falloff graph in the tool menu. I tend to go for a very shallow falloff as it allows for a more subtle and smooth bend as shown in this example of the falloff graph.

x7PHfhS.jpg

Here's an example of how subtle you can get in selecting an area for bending or moving with the Pose tool; It's often good to have a soft a gradient as possible like this.

HdgSjso.jpg

Even knowing all this, you're just going to have to sit down and spend half an hour to an hour experimenting with the tool in all its variations before you can get a handle on it's capabilities.

• Advanced Member

Also Cleitus shows how powerful the Move Tool and the Smudge tool can be for bending even hard edged objects if the alpha used for selecting the area is a soft enough gradient. Once again it's highly recommended that you be in Orthogonal view from a perpendicular angle to the plane you want to work on, whether top bottom right left front or back. It's going to be pretty much impossible to control your bends if you're just mucking around in the perspective view and you're not Orthogonal. Selection can also be iffy though from these angles so symmetry is recommended to aid in selection of the object.

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the help!

The pose tool looks more promising now and I'll certainly watch that knife tutorial. But it looks like 3dcoat could benefit from a dedicated spline deformer of some kind, to get a nice clean bend, that you would get from a regular 3d modeller.

• Reputable Contributor

There is a feature request Pose tool thread discussion here. Please add any input here you so desire...

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17329

Andrew said he will do more to the pose tool at some point... which includes better bone like deformations. A big +1 to that!

A spline deformer would be nice...

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

There is a feature request Pose tool thread discussion here. Please add any input here you so desire...

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17329

Andrew said he will do more to the pose tool at some point... which includes better bone like deformations. A big +1 to that!

A spline deformer would be nice...

Yeah, a spline deformer with weight controls on each control point would enable 3D Coat to be a very capable modeler for automobiles and such...which it's more difficult to do now, than in a standard 3D app...just because of the control and subtle curves and shapes. But in the whole process, I think Andrew needs to do something to beef up the Pose Tools deformation speed. Using CUDA in that effort would be extremely welcome.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...