3DCoat Forums

Renderdemon wips

renderdemon

• Advanced Member

Thanks guys,I'm happy you like it :)

The polycount is 1654945,it's the base sphere reshaped with the move tool and with clay/extrude brushes,I have incremented the resolution one time.

For finishing it,I think I need to increase the resolution one more time,I'm not sure that I'll be able to do a clean detailed head but at least I think I'll be able to improve it a bit(for the body I should have the possibility to do good details).

Before going up in resolution,I want to fix some little stuff that I have to improve,what I find difficoult with volumetric sculpting is understanding when going up in resolution,it's a workflow a bit different from surface sculpting.

Bye

• Advanced Member

Thanks,I post another wip,this time a more stronger guy, I have worked on it this weekend

I have also worked on the the lion I have posted in another place of the forum to show some bugs, I hope to post some update for it next weekend.

This is another 18 million stuff,18 million is the maximun limit I can work with my system,sometimes there are some crashes but I'm not sure is related to polycount

Ranocchio1.jpg

Ranocchio2.jpg

Ranocchio3.jpg

Head closeup

Ranocchio4.jpg

I have started from the base sphere,and used move,extrude and clay to shape it.I find particulary hard to do posing,as I can't rotate some part of the model

I'll try to do sharper details on the head,I'm not sure if voxel resolution is enough for that.

Bye

Bye

• Advanced Member

He, im a bit lost for words. :) Especially since you sculpted this in one go. No posing. Just straight to this. For me the fist/hand and forearm of the first screenshot really catches my eye. Just that hand alone allready says so much power. Let alone the rest.

Its really a beautifull sculpt.

3dioot

• Advanced Member

You can't go higher Deadman21,even if you have more ram.

Every time you increase resolution polycount grow more or less 4 time,so 6*4=24.

I also can't have 24 millions, 18/20 are the maximun.

The trick here is to try to see how polycount you have at start,and trying to do a shape that never is higher than 4/4.7 millions,so you can increase resolution.

• Advanced Member
You can't go higher Deadman21,even if you have more ram.

Every time you increase resolution polycount grow more or less 4 time,so 6*4=24.

I also can't have 24 millions, 18/20 are the maximun.

The trick here is to try to see how polycount you have at start,and trying to do a shape that never is higher than 4/4.7 millions,so you can increase resolution.

Thanks I didnt know it increased 4*. Do you think it would be possible to be able to control the amount by which it increases or is that not possible?

• 8 months later...
  • Advanced Member

Hi,a little test

I want to see what kind of detailing can be done with volumetric sculpting

OldManRender.jpg

Doing sharp detailing is hard,I'm not satisfied,but it'not so bad(this is not finished,I have started only with tiny volumetric strokes(extrude brush),but recenty Andrew improved the voxel to surface workflow,probably using surface brushes helps a lot in detailing,if I started from scratch now probably I'll use surface for detailing.

Another view

OldManRender2.jpg

Bye

Hi,a little test

I want to see what kind of detailing can be done with volumetric sculpting

OldManRender.jpg

Doing sharp detailing is hard,I'm not satisfied,but it'not so bad(this is not finished,I have started only with tiny volumetric strokes(extrude brush),but recenty Andrew improved the voxel to surface workflow,probably using surface brushes helps a lot in detailing,if I started from scratch now probably I'll use surface for detailing.

Another view

OldManRender2.jpg

Bye

Impressive Renderdemon! How many times did you have to increase the voxel density to achieve this amount of detail? Keep up the outstanding work!

It's great to see how far people are pushing 3DCoat, certainly this kind of work can only help Andrew improve the voxel workflow as more artists are exposed to using it and providing feedback.

Nice head.

Yes, it is detailed, but not detailed enough to be used as a skin for high detailed renderings. There are still to many artefacts, unfortunately.

I can understand the test of renderdemon. The result is nonsatisfying, till now. It's my opinion, too.

I agree Taros, the amount of detail is very impressive, but it does still feel to have a "sculpted" look to it, as if it actually were a piece of clay that was formed and scraped away, appearing to have many scratches indicative of using traditional sculpting tools... That to me makes it feel that much more authentic in a way, although if pure realism is what the goal was it's not quite there, but almost! I still feel this is the kind of detail users of Zbrush and Mudbox are going to look for if the switch to 3DCoat is to become a reality.

Just out of curiosity, what you guys have in mind when you say that it is not detailed enough?

My concern is just the amount of hardwork and hardware necessary to get to this level of detail. If it is twice more than the available alternatives, it is already too much, I guess. Or maybe a different approach as stated by renderdemon might be the way to go.

• Advanced Member

As I allready said,this was a test,I have tried to understand better the limits.

The volume is more or less 10 millions,and it's not enough to really sharp lines,this is the reason why I have tried to do all by hand,without alpha brushes,simply stroking lines to see what kind of stuff can be done(for example,elephants skin style is doable,pores not so much,are harder because the tiny holes are not sharp enough,skin folding need also sharper depth curves)

I think that surface brushes helps a bit(but at the end you can't have more resolution),maybe with another level of subdvision(increasing again the volume resolution)the detailing can be really close to sharp line,but 40 millions for the head are a bit too much(and it will become slow).

In the future(3/5 years),this can become an interesting stuff,with computer with 64 gigabyte,faster computer,faster graphics cards handling 200/300 millions can be doable.

btw,thanks,it's 2/3 days full work(splitted in several evenings).

bye