3DCoat Forums

AUTOPO problems ?

Alco3d

Hello everyone!

I have difficult model with many holes and mistakes of topologi. Manual retopologi of that  take many time. AUTOPO not working fine and is crashing every time, although i've good configuration PC. No matter i doing it on hipoly or lowpoly i have problem with it. Even i have problem when try AUTOPO on basic head. 

Seems good solution for me could be quadringulating of mesh from triangles to quads. I don't care about weight of model,

no difference to me how much polygons will i have, because this model won't be animated, just be rendering. And i don't want to bake model, i want to leave everything as in voxel room.  In earlier versions 3DC AUTOPO was called Quadringulate, right? But seems to me, it was much easy, because 3ds max and Myay do that simply and quickly. Why i can't do that in 3DC and i have problems with AUTOPO, why i can't to leave density of mesh and just transform triangle to quads?

I so tired every time restart 3DC.

Glad if you'll help me.

About my a configures: i have i5core with 4 cores. But 3DC take only 25% CP, i.e. 1 core. Is 3DC not support multithreading?

• Contributor

3d coat have problems with holes and unclean meshes in autopo.

There are some fixes in the beta builds, maybe that helps you with your problem.

But i would import the object in VoxelRoom as VoxelObject.

This close every hole and missmatches. Then you could start autopo with this mesh.

Now i imorted as voxel object and started AUTOPO, but it freeze my computer out. Yeah,michael, i can use /max or Maya, but how can i do that in 3DC. Zbrush 

from the very beginning to sculpt poligons and let user to unwrap  extreme high poly. 3DC has only one option - AUTOPO and nothing else. May be i can be wrong...

Edited by Alco3d

• Contributor

so far i had no issues with autopo , only acouple weird results , solved those by adding manual lines , or by doing retopo with different settings , a clean voxel model plays a huge role in autopo

Hi, Arumiat!

I try to make from my highpoly surface including triangles, hightpoly of square polygons, for further unwrapping and texturing, without AUTOPO and baking. Pure highpoly and diffuse map, without Normal maps, displacement and other. I don't want to rebuild, reduce or increase count of polygon, how it's going by AUTOPO. I want to merge two triangles for one square))

(BTW - why in surface mode 3DC make mesh  but not polys? Why dont' let to choose?)

Why i can't use AUTOPO i wrote above - my model has many mistakes and it's going slow, and after retopo i lose sharp edge in hard surface. I 'll repeat, may be i doing wrong, i newbie and know a little.)

• Advanced Member

Not sure of a method in 3DC. The remesh modifier in Blender would produce a 'clean' copy of your object made from quads, and has the benefit of cleaning up holes in your mesh very well. You can loosely approximate the number of quads with octree depth. Don't know if that helps you though

post-38412-0-78743300-1428746337_thumb.j

Edited by arumiat

• Reputable Contributor

I think Andrew certainly needs to revisit Auto-Retopo again, but it seems Raul is already working on a new quadrangulation tool, so maybe this is the alternative approach Andrew eluded to before? In the mean time, I always try to create a less detailed duplicate of the model > run SMOOTH ALL before running Auto-Retopo, and it helps much of the time. There are instances, though, where it takes way too many re-attempts to get a suitable result, and that's why I only use it about 1/3 of the time. The Strokes tool is an Auto-Retopo tool in it's own right. Sketch out the topology or create loops > one cross-section and it generates the mesh for you.

I'm trying to see if Andrew will add the ability to use the selection modes (Line, Rectangle, Ellipse, Freeform, etc) in the E-Panel to quickly create accurate strokes, and that could shave the creation process down much further...and make it a better alternative in most cases.

• Reputable Contributor

cross-section(s)? I thought, this will not work, when AUTOPO?

Really hope, this feature getting some overhaul/poilsihing to be on par or better, than Zremesher2.0

Cheers

I was referring to using the Strokes tool as an alternative to Auto-Retopo

hmmm - did not get, what you mean.... I think "doing re-topo by hand, but with 'constrained' shapes"?

The thing I experience is, that edges are not preserved as straight verticle or horizontal lines - instead they are kind

of "winding" or turning - even when hand-painted some straight lines in...

So the loops are going kind of diagonal thru/over the object - kind of hard to explain for me (got no image to show

you atm)

Cheers

Edited by Elowan

ahhh, ok. So no AUTOPO, but manual re-topo ;)

@Tony Nemo

Yes, I did it the way, you described - but got the results, like I mentioned... maybe it was an older version, I will try the

latest one and see, if it will work.

Cheers

• Reputable Contributor

ahhh, ok. So no AUTOPO, but manual re-topo ;)

@Tony Nemo

Yes, I did it the way, you described - but got the results, like I mentioned... maybe it was an older version, I will try the

latest one and see, if it will work.

Cheers

Auto-Retopo is NOT the ideal tool for every situation. In fact, that's precisely what I've been trying to convey here. The Strokes tool is something of an Auto-Retop tool all by itself. With Auto-Retopo, you often need to create guides to give the tool hints to how you want the topology to flow. With many primitive shaped objects, like human limbs, fingers, Torso, etc. you can create a few guides + one cross-section and BAM....3D Coat creates an entire mesh encompassing that area.

There are many objects, though, where Auto-Retopo works splendidly. I find that to be objects that rather primitive in shape. It tends to struggle a bit, here and there, when working with rather complex objects. Just telling you what I've learned...take it or leave it.

;)

• Like 1

Will the AUTOPO function be looked at / improoved again?

If so - please try to add a "Preserve Edges" function, so the the silouette stays 100% intact and the

algorhythm goes from there...

Cheers!

Andrew recently revisited the Autopo tool and most definitely will be in the future. 3DC is always being constantly improved. :)

• Advanced Member

im glad to hear hes revisited it.  at the moment im decimating and exporting scenes to zbrush because they really improved the autotopo there in the last revision or 2.  its very very precise and super fast without guides.  plus it can handle super high polycounts.  sometimes 3d coat crashes with high polycounts outside of the voxel room.  high polys in retopo or UVs often crash for me

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I understand, or think, that 3d Coat has an automatic retopology feature. If this is so, I would like to know. I want to know also, if it is easier and/or more automatic than that of Blender retopology with J. Williamson's retopology add-on. 

Edited by reidh

Hi !

You mean if 3DC has equivalent tools to Contours and Polystrip ?

I have not bought the addon but let me show you the equivalent tools in 3DC.

3D Coat is much more complete than RetopoFlow (previously known contours + polystrips). If you're looking for a complete retopology solution then 3D Coat is probably the way to go.