3DCoat Forums

I can't find how to paint with custom textures

Vipera

Go to solution Solved by ghib,

• Advanced Member

There was a window Textures where I added my custom map to texture with. I am missing this window now in 4.5beta17. Where should I add my textures now? I have tried to add texture to Stencils but this affects bump only. Same is with the PBR materials. I have created a new PBR material and added color texture. When I try to paint, there is no color on the model. Color channel is active though.

Edited by Vipera

• Advanced Member
  • Solution

You can just paint as normal.  No need to paint with the PBR Materials.  So just choose the Brush tool, a colour, the Roughness & Metalness if you have the Gloss Channel on.  Click on the 'X Close' in the PBR Materials tab.

The PBR Materials are just a way of creating a Substance that you want to paint onto an object.

If you think of it in terms of layers that would actually build up on an object in real life and you build up your own library of Materials then you'll actually be texturing your models faster in the long term.

So you would have a metal object that over time would have dust gather in the crevices and Oxidization will occur, the object might be painted and scratch off over time.  This is the clichéd PBR example but it helps to think of this when preparing your Layers, which could look like this:

Dust, Grime, Oxidation

Paint

Metal (bottom)

You can and will (of course) use both methods for texturing, typically by blocking out your model with pre-prepared PBR materials, and refining with bespoke details along the way.

sorry if this msg came across as being a bit of a lecture.  

p.s. You can duplicate a material by right clicking on it. then right clicking on the duplicate and choose the folder (PBR sub tab) that you want it to be in.

• Advanced Member

You can just paint as normal.  No need to paint with the PBR Materials.  So just choose the Brush tool, a colour, the Roughness & Metalness if you have the Gloss Channel on.  Click on the 'X Close' in the PBR Materials tab.

Where should I put texture to paint with? For example, I want to paint a ground texture and use for this task about 10 textures. I need ability to fast switch between them. Do I have to create 10 PBR materials and switch between them during painting? How can I fast modify color, hue or intensity of the texture I paint with?

Edited by Vipera

Hi!

Yes, create 10 PBR Materials (just ignore the fact they are called "PBR", they can function the same as before). Just make sure to set the Color to Modulate and not Replace. This allows you to use any of the standard Color Pickers when you want to use HSV/RGB for anything like what you want. The process of creating a new Material takes about the same amount of time as it did before the change, just with a lot more control than before. :)

• Advanced Member

Hi Vipera, sorry for late reply.  I've been stupidly busy lately.

Are you talking about Stencils?

When you say:

I have tried to add texture to Stencils but this affects bump only.

Do your channel controls look like this 3DC_PaintChannels_zpsmbotim8k.jpg

I can import stencils fine and paint on all or any combination of bump, spec or diffuse.

• 1 month later...

I had the same question and thought I could clarify further for anyone else who happens upon this thread.

Q. What is the workflow for projection painting a texture from an image on to the surface of my mesh?

A.

From the Retopo Room with the model UV Mapped, go to Bake Menu>Bake w/ Normal Map (Per-Pixel).

On the "Import Object for Per Pixel Painting" dialogue, set your desired map size.

Go to Paint Room.

Go to View menu and uncheck Show Voxels in Paint Room.

Create or Select your paint layer (don't paint on Layer 0).

Add a new smart material (it doesn't have to be setup for physically based rendering).

In the Smart Material Properties>Preferred Mapping choose From Camera

To setup a regular texture instead of a physically based material, set Color to Modulate (asterisk icon) and not Replace (arrow icon).

Next to the green sphere icon click where it says "...Click to Select Color Texture..." and choose the image that you want to projection paint with and LMB click Save.

Set your foreground color to white.

Using the Preview options, enable Tiling and set the visibility low enough so that you can see what you are painting and then brush over the image to apply the texture to the mesh.