3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Baking suddenly does nothing

Gary Dave

Go to solution Solved by Andrew Shpagin,

• Advanced Member

Hello!

I've yet to test this on a new file/scene and my patience has far beyond ran out. But I can no longer bake textures in one of my files. For what it's worth, I think I'm "relatively competent" with 3d coat. Just yesterday I was working on a model all within 3dc, sculpt > retopo > UVs (with mirroring) > baking > texturing... no problems what so ever. Today, things start going wrong.

First off, the bake produced strange faceted anomalies that I could not get to the bottom of, and then it just stopped working all together. As in, if I try to bake, it goes through the (very quick) motions, and I pop over to paint room, hide my sculpt... annnd, nothing will be there in the viewport. Layers created, sub-object is listed... but, nothing is actually there. The Texture editor just displays black where my diffuse should be.

I tried shutting down 3dc and re-launching, I've manually re-done the retopo about fifty thousand times now, with mirroring, without mirroring. But I've given up.

I'm going to upload the file as I suspect this might just be an issue with my settings (I'd already tried deleting the options.xml and options_windows in my documents, as another thread suggested) The fact that it was working fine yesterday still boggles the mind though.

Version 4.1.17

Telescope.zip

You'll notice that my last retopo attempt was just placing down a plane and dividing it, I can't be bothered to spend time on it again just to have it not work. This was supposed to be a quick 30 minute 3d doodle, and about 5 hours later now, I'm just done.

Any help anyone can provide would be much appreciated. If it works first time for you, and you can bake okay, then I guess I'll try re-installing 3dc? I don't really know.

• Advanced Member

I've had a cup of tea and regained some patience, took another look.

Anything I create in the retopo room of that file does not actually exist anywhere except in the retopo room. ie, if I export it out, and import it into another 3d package, or even 3d coat, it will import nothing.

Same with my sculpt. The voxel statistics says that nothing is in the scene (despite me literally looking at my sculpt in the view). And if I export it out and try to import it anywhere, it reveals an 18mb file of nothing.

No idea how this helps solve the issue, but it is a very worrying issue... if this had been a more important model then this would have been the straw that broke the camels back. I swear I can't go more than 24 hours using 3dc before bumping into a show stopper. Maybe it's an issue specific to me, maybe it's not... but the frequency is really putting a strain on things.

Did a quick test in a new file, all seems to work as expected, but my problem file still remains a problem.

i had done a new retopo mesh and bake does nothing

exporting the model and importing in a new project does nothing

export the retopo mesh export an empty obj

i think its a bug, was reported to Andrew

Ty for inform it.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Sorry to revive an old thread. But, THANK YOU so much.  This worked for me as well.  I have version 4.7.06 and I experience this as well.  My Scene Scale was like 92623200000.0   or something like that (just a very large random number).   I have no idea what caused this.  But, I did as you said:

"Go to Sculpt room, geometry->Edit scene scale and set scale to be 1 "

And that worked. I can now bake again.  

Whatever bug causes this still exists in 4.7.06

I love 3d Coat, but often the software still feels like its in Beta.

Edited by Count Joshula