3DCoat Forums

Help with Autopo and occlusion (all black)

Manfrog

Go to solution Solved by Javis,

Hi,

I am bringing in high poly Lightwave objects, cleaning them up a bit with voxel brushes, then using autopo for per-pixel to retopologise them and then export the meshes back to Lightwave. It's worked well for the most part, and I love the occlusion pass that happens on the fly as part of the process. The problem I have is that sometimes the color map just comes out black. It seems to be worse if I bring in a multi-layered object. Sometimes the first layer that I autopo works fine, but then the other layers come out black. Is there a better workflow for this sort of thing? I'm using 3d-coat 4.1. Is there a newer workflow in 4.5?

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

• Solution

The issue actually resides from LW, I've seen this problem happen many times when I used LW, and helping my students that still use LW. The easiest way to deal with it is to reassign the effected polygons a new material.

I still can't get it to work. I may just be screwing up something with my workflow. Is there a documented best practice workflow for doing this kind of thing? I need to bring in a high poly model made of several pieces, retopologise them, bake textures especially occlusion then export them as LWO. If you could point me in the right direction it would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

An update: I have managed to get the occlusion to work on the first object, by renaming the automatic UV map to something other than "default" Unfortunately now when I try to get the second object to Autopo, 3D Coat crashes to the desktop when it is calculating occlusion. :( The workaround for now is just to bring in one piece of the mesh at a time, but it would be great to be able to get the whole object at once.