3DCoat Forums

[Adult] Female nude in voxels

L'Ancien Regime

• Advanced Member

I'd cut the retopo mesh to pieces, scale them so their size is greater than a new reference mesh - then snap those parts to the surface and stitch them back together. However 3D-Coat's retopo room isn't the most comfortable for doing this kind of work, so I'd probably do the cutting/scaling/stitching part in some 3rd party dedicated modeller and import the modified mesh back to 3D-Coat for surface snapping and some further tweaking and relaxing (in the retopo room, not the tweak room of course).

How to surface snap a pre existing mesh to a sculpture though?

• Advanced Member

By the way ajz3d, that Snap Tool works great!  Now I can correct my base sculpt on the fly and update its  retopo mesh with the push of a button! This is very reassuring to have this ability since there's lots of tweaks and alterations I want to make as I discover more and more studying the body, like her ears which are still rather crude and perfunctory at this stage. Nice to know I won't have to wade in there and start mucking around with edge loop strategies just to correct that. 

So many great tools to discover in 3d Coat..

:D

S9WyJCD.jpg

Edited by L'Ancien Regime

• Advanced Member

• Contributor

By the way ajz3d, that Snap Tool works great!  Now I can correct my base sculpt on the fly and update its  retopo mesh with the push of a button! This is very reassuring to have this ability since there's lots of tweaks and alterations I want to make as I discover more and more studying the body, like her ears which are still rather crude and perfunctory at this stage. Nice to know I won't have to wade in there and start mucking around with edge loop strategies just to correct that. 

So many great tools to discover in 3d Coat..

:D

There's also this flag called Conform Retopo Mesh that you'll find in Pose, Transform and Move tools. If enabled, it will automatically snap the retopo mesh to your hipoly surface wherever you use those tools.

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

OK now things get real...real tough.

So I tried a lot of different stuff to bake out the textures of the voxel layer to the new retopo mesh. 

Bake with Normal Map (Per Pixel) consistently crashed the program.

Bake Texture was problematic in its results to say the least.

jR5RbKE.jpg

So then I tried Bake w/Per Pixel Painting w/ EXR displacement and was successful but with this result;

jhsRVmh.jpg

So my question is; is this the kind of results I can expect from baking from a painted Voxel/Surface to a retopo mesh or is it just my novice level incompetence?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

OK got all these problems solved but what an arduous ordeal...more later

I just found this though and it's good..

http://http.developer.nvidia.com/GPUGems3/gpugems3_ch14.html

I was looking to find out what amount of specularity human skin should have...

• Advanced Member

I had a lot of problems mainly because during the hand retopo phase which was done in symmetry there were always a few seams left unattached at the meeting at the symmetry plane. In the end particularly in the internal seams of her inner mouth the only way I could close them all up was in Maya. Which meant I had to figure out how to bring the retopo .obj back into 3d coat then reattach it to the Surface mode painted sculpture room layer. Which I did, surprisingly enough. But all this takes huge amounts of time as you go through the tutorials and the documentation and the forum looking for answers, and then just trial and error, going through the UI trying out buttons and seeing what they do. I wake up at 7:30 and I hit the sack when I start falling asleep at the computer around 3:30 -4:00 AM . 

But then I was really maladroit figuring out how to bake it all out and then plug it into the renderer. Houdini Rules that's all I can say  :D . It rules on every level. 

Now what I want to know is if this seam binding problem in the retopo room with symmetry is my problem or 3d Coat's problem. Am I doing something wrong here? or is there an improvement that Andrew needs to make?

I sure wish that 3d Coat had the same documentation system that Houdini has so you could just hit the "?" on the Parameter box and get the full story on the tool you're using with examples you can load up to pull apart and figure out.

Also this is not a final render; far from it.. It's an experiment for now. I just discovered how to do SSS in Mantra and how to plug in the texture maps. Also she needs her eyes and teeth and I need to tone back the SSS layer color. And the skin needs a very slight irregular sheen all over of sebum to remove the flatness of the color particularly in the highly illuminated areas. 2% or 4% opacity of specularity over her torso?

8T6utvS.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • Advanced Member

11952948_886899928057910_256269375816338

it wasn't easy learning this, and there's still a long way to go. No Inverse Kinematics yet..

11922883_886900738057829_369054281281033

One day soon I want to be able to set up figures like this;

Marvelous Designer is only $59 a month and $550 permanent purchase or something like that

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

As in he has created a normal map from an iris photo and used that or modelled from scratch?

EDIT: that was a question in regard to the eye pictures you'd posted on page 1, just saw the rest, nice work

Edited by arumiat

• Advanced Member

As in he has created a normal map from an iris photo and used that or modelled from scratch?

EDIT: that was a question in regard to the eye pictures you'd posted on page 1, just saw the rest, nice work

That's a good question even though now that I think about it I have to say, I don't know. it's very subtle and very beautiful and how he pulled that off is a mystery to  me...

• 2 months later...
  • Advanced Member

sUhVQ4C.jpg

I got rolling on the texturing  the anatomy project and it brought me back to this young woman that needed to be finished. Had some important help on 3d coat from digman toe straighten me out.

Now I get the importance of layers in the Paint Room...

11XmXJ0.jpg

rFx3Wo7.jpg

rmOvmtf.jpg
  • Like 2

• Contributor

Second image is AMAZING m your painting is just great .

First one love the SSS you managed to get and third love the SSS again on the back image.

I have SSS materials as well have you seen them??

• Advanced Member

Second image is AMAZING m your painting is just great .

First one love the SSS you managed to get and third love the SSS again on the back image.

I have SSS materials as well have you seen them??

Can you refer them to me? I'm totally immersed in them right now and I'm in a mood to discuss all aspects of them with you and others here. It's an amazing technology..really the programmers that worked this one out went far and above the call of duty.

• Advanced Member

We tend to take things for granted but it just dawned on me what a great program 3D Coat is for UV mapping. I remember even 7  or 8 years ago trying to learn UV mapping in Maya and just getting physically ill at trying to untangle all the vertices and edges on the UV map...horrible. 

I wonder if I'd even have stuck around in this medium if it weren't for 3D Coat's excellent UV mapping capabilities. 

• Advanced Member

This is really hit or miss. I'm not pulling consistent results. This isn't really working the way it should. New approach is required particularly in getting material for the normal map.  PPP painting on the extracted retopo mesh can only go so far. Painting color and depth simultaneously, while tempting isn't the road to realism.

Digman sent me this;

http://www.3dscanstore.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=16

I have to say, particularly when it comes to SSS Cycles is really reallyl good.

Image.jpg

Live clay textures in surface mode next up.