3DCoat Forums

ajz3d

• Contributor

Hey guys. If you were to create a fluffy carpet (https://encrypted.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=fluffy%20carpet&tbs=imgo:1), or other similar fabric that is made out of fibres that stick out from the main surface, then how would you approach it if it was intended for a:

1) short;

2) real-time engine;

Let's say you're starting from scratch and you have 3D-Coat and some traditional modelling software at your disposal.

• Like 1

• Contributor

Or start with something simple

scales.png

and start swirl later on , on it.

Or something like that

(you know what to put here)  attachment.php?attachmentid=243522

Edited by Michaelgdrs

• Contributor

This you would use for 1) or 2)? What about retopologising this sculpture? It looks like it can take a lot of polygons to define the fluffiness (a nightmare to retopo). The second link doesn't show up.

I am biased towards using billboards for a RTE, but 3D-Coat doesn't support instances in the Paint Room (PPP), so I probably would have to paint a few source objects in 3D-Coat (planes), and paint their position and orientation over a target plane (that forms the carpet) in some 3D package, or in the engine itself if it supports this kind of operation. Generally, this process feels overcomplicated and involving many programs.

• Contributor

If you use planes its not complicated at all (engine setup).

What i answered in the previous message was for the short , and the retopo for the game engine.

P.S

Before attachment.php?attachmentid=243522 put http://zbrushcentral.com/

• Advanced Member

For a short I would use instances (hair or poly) if your app supports it.  I have made some very nice looking rugs using Blenders particle system.  Although I'm not familiar enough with real-time (game?) engines to give you any advice.