3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Normal map not baking any information

Go to solution Solved by arumiat,

• Advanced Member

My normal map is not baking,

I think I'm just being dense but my normal map isn't baking properly. I've also tried to bake within Substance but I'm getting a bad result there too.

- I have retopo'd the 3 meshes in the scene and UV unwrapped them to a single UV set. They are under retopo objects with identical names to the sculpted meshes

- I have checked named correspondence for baking

- I then to bake w/ normal map for PPP

However the bake finishes v.quickly & no normal information is present on the NM_map.

post-38412-0-80469900-1432420201_thumb.p

post-38412-0-46927800-1432420201_thumb.p

post-38412-0-59126000-1432420200_thumb.p

Any able to enlighten me?

T

• Advanced Member

I just had the same issue OS X 2.4RC1 sculpted, retopoed, then try to bake nm for ppp and I get paint object/retopo object, but no actual retopo geometry or proper baked normal maps in paint room. Also I've tried exporting the hi poly sculpt as an obj to Blender. It exports ok, but as far as I can tell, just gives me 300k vertices all in the same place, dimension 0,0,0 ... hm

I sent my file to support. I'll post it here too once it gets to my dropbox.

Here it is:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/50esg7wx5wh5o32/HornsRetopo.3b?dl=0

Edited by Hammers

• Advanced Member

Hi Hammers, how odd. Yes, I think there was an issue because even trying to bake from an exported hi poly to low poly using substance designer which normally does a great job was giving me weird results. I was also getting odd behaviour trying to paint color information on layers in the paint room as well, this seemed to work again after disabling the curvature map.

I've downloaded the latest beta 4.5.00 (release) so I'll see if I keep running it problems. Do post back if you hear more

• 3 weeks later...