3DCoat Forums

DirectX 12 Boosts Draw Calls By 330% On 3 Year Old GTX 670 with i7 2600k

• Advanced Member

http://wccftech.com/directx-12-draw-calls-330-3-year-gtx-670/

Microsoft just rolled out the latest Windows 10 preview build, and apparently a Reddit user is already tinkering around with the preview build of DirectX 12 that comes with it. If you have been on the internet any time after the Redmond-based firm announced the latest API last year at GDC, you would know that there’s a grand debate on whether or not the DirectX 12 will improve the performance of PC and Xbox One hardware by leaps and bounds. So to look into things first-hand, the user decided to test the preview build of the API on his more than 3 year old hardware; Nvidia Geforce GTX 670 and Intel Core i7 2600K, and the results were quite amazing.

According to him, the tests he ran show a boost of close to 400% in draw call throughput. As visible in the image below, the draw call count according to the results on DirectX 11 was 1,515,965 whereas on multi-thread, it was 2,532, 181. Although, when the user switched to DirectX 12, the number of draw calls raised to 8,562,158, which is around 330% increase in the total performance.

SiWFIdO.jpg
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

I mentioned this to Andrew and asked him if it wouldn't be too much trouble to move to DX12, because of these kinds of performance boosts, and NVidia is making it's drivers compatible with DX12 all the way back to Geforce 4xx series. He said he was thinking about going to all OpenGL, and dropping DirectX. Pretty disappointing. He said OpenGL worked better now than DX (used to be the opposite for a long time, there). Nevertheless, I don't see any such performance boosts on OpenGL. Maybe you guys can e-mail him and try to ask for DX12 support. I bet it would make a massive difference.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I mentioned this to Andrew and asked him if it wouldn't be too much trouble to move to DX12, because of these kinds of performance boosts, and NVidia is making it's drivers compatible with DX12 all the way back to Geforce 4xx series. He said he was thinking about going to all OpenGL, and dropping DirectX. Pretty disappointing. He said OpenGL worked better now than DX (used to be the opposite for a long time, there). Nevertheless, I don't see any such performance boosts on OpenGL. Maybe you guys can e-mail him and try to ask for DX12 support. I bet it would make a massive difference.

OpenGL in 3D coat  is full of glitches on my computer. DirectX  all the way.

• Reputable Contributor

OpenGL in 3D coat  is full of glitches on my computer. DirectX  all the way.

Probably should send Andrew an e-mail letting him know that....and maybe ask him about switching to DX12 at the same time. The greater number of people who ask for it, the higher the probability Andrew will act on it.

• Advanced Member

As I use Linux you know what my vote is.  :D  Saying that, OpenGL is much more platform independant than DirectX which is Windows only.  This makes it easier to develop 3D-Coat because you don't have to keep up with two APIs. 

• Advanced Member

If you follow what's going on the OpenGL front, you'll see there's a strategy in place to have performance parity with DX12.. Or I should say the other way around since it all started with Mantle.

Check out the new OpenGL tech called Vulkan, used to be called GLNext.. It's basically Mantle for all GPUs (NVidia, AMD..etc).

You could call this OpenGL 5 but for compatibility reasons ( and the mess with OpenGL 4 and the cad industry ) they decided to create a new GL branch. This way the Cad industry will have their legacy code base safe with the standard OpenGL and other applications/games that require more up to date tech can use Vulkan. 

Vulkan includes all the GPU thread, draw calls load balancing...etc that you're seeing in DX12.. Like I mentioned above, Mantle shook the industry originally.

Win/win if you ask me.

Feel free to correct me on GL versions and whatnot, going from memory.

Edited by Nossgrr
  • Like 1

• Contributor

The only OpenGL bug I ever encountered in 3D-Coat was the ghosting artifacts on matcap shaders in the Render Room. At first Andrew said he couldn't fix it, but then a few years later he actually did fix it.

Otherwise I always thought it was weird how people complained about the OpenGL version, since it has always worked pretty well for me.

On the other hand, I've been using Quadro cards the whole time, so maybe the issues people were having had to do with GeForce drivers or something.

• Advanced Member

yeah, i initially used the openGL version because of the "suggestions" during installation. It crashed quite regularily for me, then i switched to directX and frame rate was much higher, everything was smoother and no crashes. i was on a gtx 560ti back then though, maybe with the 970 it will be different.

• Contributor

OpenGL version is recommended for Quadro cards

DX version is recommended for GeForce cards

That must be it. All the people having trouble with the OpenGL version are probably using GeForce cards.

• Advanced Member

It does sound like a driver issue, on Linux I haven't had 3D-Coat crash on me because of OpenGL.  At least it appears that way as I have only had it crash when I was doing something CPU intensive like Autopo, etc.  Display wise 3D-Coat has always been fast for me and this is on an old GTX460.   It's faster than Blender for sure.  :)

• Advanced Member

If you follow what's going on the OpenGL front, you'll see there's a strategy in place to have performance parity with DX12.. Or I should say the other way around since it all started with Mantle.

Check out the new OpenGL tech called Vulkan, used to be called GLNext.. It's basically Mantle for all GPUs (NVidia, AMD..etc).

You could call this OpenGL 5 but for compatibility reasons ( and the mess with OpenGL 4 and the cad industry ) they decided to create a new GL branch. This way the Cad industry will have their legacy code base safe with the standard OpenGL and other applications/games that require more up to date tech can use Vulkan. 

Vulkan includes all the GPU thread, draw calls load balancing...etc that you're seeing in DX12.. Like I mentioned above, Mantle shook the industry originally.

Win/win if you ask me.

Feel free to correct me on GL versions and whatnot, going from memory.

yeah this is true particularly as the new AMD cards will be coming out with stacked memory for the new Fiji's. And 8 gigs of stacked memory is probaby better than  12 gigs of ddr5 memory. 

Computers are rushing forward so fast you can sound really stupid talking about stuff that was true 5 years ago or even 2 years ago. 

Who knows what will be best in a year from now? I rethought my earlier post above after i wrote it and cut it down, because all things considered, who am I to tell Andrew what he should be planning for his future developments?  He knows a hell of a lot more about where this program should go than I do.  :)  

Edited by L'Ancien Regime

• Contributor

" because all things considered, who am I to tell Andrew what he should be planning for his future developments?  He knows a hell of a lot more about where this program should go than I do.  :)  "

Commendable humility!

• 2 weeks later...