3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member

BIG Congratulations.  OMG.  This update puts this program many steps ahead of other "leaders".  WOW.  So impressed when I watched the youTube intro.  Thanks so much for all the dedicated work you and your team have put forth!  B)

Rich :D

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks and congrats.

Whats next on the list for 5.0? Any particular areas you want to cover or address with 3DC? Modeling? Sculpting? UI?

I think SSS in PBR materials is on deck next, and hopefully Sculpting layers in the Sculpt Room right after that. It's omission is the last (major) remaining reason for ZBrush and Mudbox users to shun 3D Coat as a viable production sculpting app. It already has far more sculpting brushes/tools than Mudbox: the brush feel and performance is fairly comparable now.....but the lack of Sculpt layers (per object) and masking of those layers, makes sculpting in 3D Coat much less attractive than what they already use.

There is sculpt layer capability in the Paint Room, using image-based sculpting, but one would have to break up their sculpting work between opposite ends of the pipeline. That's. Not. Good. If Andrew implements Sculpt Layers as well as he did PBR, then more and more talented sculpters are going to want to use 3D Coat, and take full advantage of LiveClay.

I would also like to see the Tweak Room completely done away with and just add an icon at the bottom of the tool panel in the Paint Room, to open the the handful of tools now in the Tweak Room, within the Tool Options Panel.That would help streamline the UI a bit and put the transform/low-poly sculpting tools where one could easily find them. I would then place some subtle, but noticeable divider between the PAINT - UV tabs and the Sculpt - Retopo tabs. This way the app begins to make sense visually, and the different UV toolsets in different rooms, is less confusing to new users.

The Paint Room and UV room are companion workspaces, as the Sculpt Room and Retopo Room are companions workspaces

• Like 1

Whats next on the list for 5.0? Any particular areas you want to cover or address with 3DC? Modeling? Sculpting? UI?

We know that Andrew intends to implement SSS and a new layer masks system (both of which a lot of people are looking forward too). Not sure past that though.

Edited by PolyHertz