3DCoat Forums

I see that auto retopo is much much faster than before or did I miss something in previous usage? Can it be there has been done a lot of code optimizing with autopo?

Sad that the old quick remeshing is still not reimplemented again.

Edited by Crush

• Advanced Member

I think SSS in PBR materials is on deck next, and hopefully Sculpting layers in the Sculpt Room right after that. It's omission is the last (major) remaining reason for ZBrush and Mudbox users to shun 3D Coat as a viable production sculpting app. It already has far more sculpting brushes/tools than Mudbox: the brush feel and performance is fairly comparable now.....but the lack of Sculpt layers (per object) and masking of those layers, makes sculpting in 3D Coat much less attractive than what they already use.

There is sculpt layer capability in the Paint Room, using image-based sculpting, but one would have to break up their sculpting work between opposite ends of the pipeline. That's. Not. Good. If Andrew implements Sculpt Layers as well as he did PBR, then more and more talented sculpters are going to want to use 3D Coat, and take full advantage of LiveClay.

I would also like to see the Tweak Room completely done away with and just add an icon at the bottom of the tool panel in the Paint Room, to open the the handful of tools now in the Tweak Room, within the Tool Options Panel.That would help streamline the UI a bit and put the transform/low-poly sculpting tools where one could easily find them. I would then place some subtle, but noticeable divider between the PAINT - UV tabs and the Sculpt - Retopo tabs. This way the app begins to make sense visually, and the different UV toolsets in different rooms, is less confusing to new users.

The Paint Room and UV room are companion workspaces, as the Sculpt Room and Retopo Room are companions workspaces

Interesting. I agree on the need for sculpt layers, Modo just got them in 901 as well and its quite nice to have. Also agree on Mudbox really not having much to offer at this point, as for sculpting (feel) 3DC feels like its on par if not better than it.

If 3DC were to appeal to zbrush sculptors or those familiar with zbrush, I think the brush feel is just as critical as the features themselves. When I use Zbrush, theres a certain feel and look that I fine lacking in any other application that has sculpting. It also does an amazing job at displacing a surface based on the alphas used. So I hope that with addressing sculpting aspects of 3DC, as you said sculpt layers but also look and feel of the sculpting itself.

On the topic of the tweak room, I agree with you on that. Maybe it would be better just to turn it into a modeling room instead (take a page from the zbrush modeling features) as that workflow works perfectly with sculpting functionality.

I think SSS in PBR materials is on deck next, and hopefully Sculpting layers in the Sculpt Room right after that. It's omission is the last (major) remaining reason for ZBrush and Mudbox users to shun 3D Coat as a viable production sculpting app. It already has far more sculpting brushes/tools than Mudbox: the brush feel and performance is fairly comparable now.....but the lack of Sculpt layers (per object) and masking of those layers, makes sculpting in 3D Coat much less attractive than what they already use.

There is sculpt layer capability in the Paint Room, using image-based sculpting, but one would have to break up their sculpting work between opposite ends of the pipeline. That's. Not. Good. If Andrew implements Sculpt Layers as well as he did PBR, then more and more talented sculpters are going to want to use 3D Coat, and take full advantage of LiveClay.

I would also like to see the Tweak Room completely done away with and just add an icon at the bottom of the tool panel in the Paint Room, to open the the handful of tools now in the Tweak Room, within the Tool Options Panel.That would help streamline the UI a bit and put the transform/low-poly sculpting tools where one could easily find them. I would then place some subtle, but noticeable divider between the PAINT - UV tabs and the Sculpt - Retopo tabs. This way the app begins to make sense visually, and the different UV toolsets in different rooms, is less confusing to new users.

The Paint Room and UV room are companion workspaces, as the Sculpt Room and Retopo Room are companions workspaces

The idea woud be to combine the TWEAK ans PAINT room,

Large details wuold be applied by deforming geometry and fine details as displacement maps, like in MODO

• Advanced Member

Don't throw away the Tweak Room. Oh noes.

Go have a look at Zbrush polygonal sub d modeling.

Imagine the Tweak Room being the platform for a suite of  OpenSubD poly modeling tools. Then once you've done your extrusions, bevels etc you merge them to voxels in teh sculpt room. A lot of those tools are almost there in the Retopo Room. It wouldn't take much to turn 3d Coat into a full blown modeling powerhouse. A better one than Pixologic's I might add.

And hair/fur.

We need hair fur.

Edited by L'Ancien Regime
  • Like 2

When I loaded in a pre 4.5 object for PP, it didn't load the first layer's data. I had loaded it in 4.5 betas with no problems, but the actual release it brought in the first layer as a transparent layer, and when I filled it and saved then reloaded it again, it came in transparent again.

Anyone else see this?

Mike

• Advanced Member

Big thank you for a great update and another big thank you for all the great videos posted to help keep us updated with the pace of change.

Tapering in Bas Relief is a great new feature. Always great to see existing tools developed further as well as all the new features.

Would dearly love to see arrays in voxel mode developed more in the future too allow to tile around forms and follow angles.

• Advanced Member

I think it would be great to have volumetric layer masks and volumetric marquee selections in the sculpting section.  I'll probably suggest this again at some point later on.  Just thought I'd mention it here in case anyone is listening!

• Advanced Member

Congrats for the release.

Comparing V4.1 and V4.5, it appears 4.5 brush response is about 3-4 times slower, very shoppy with large textures (4k). This seems to be dependent on underneath topology (working on a low poly model), ie: the brush is shoppy over one triangle and smoother on the next one, while being slower overall. Makes it impossible to paint at 4k for me.

The same model with the same 4k texture size in V4.1 works fine, so back to 4.1 for now.

Hope you can improve this as the new features are awesome.

Cheers,

Franck.

My config: dual Xeon quad cores, 32 GB ram, GTX 770 4GB.

• Like 1

Thank you very much for the release! It's great!

I already have two questions, though:

Has the View -> Low smooth shade setting been removed? I used this a lot but now it seems to be gone.

Also, is there a way to change the panorama image? If so, can I use my own images for this?

Greetings,

Shu

• Contributor

I think it would be great to have volumetric layer masks and volumetric marquee selections in the sculpting section.  I'll probably suggest this again at some point later on.  Just thought I'd mention it here in case anyone is listening!

Not sure what you are talking about. You mean you would make a selection using a 3D cube or sphere instead of a 2D lasso? If so, although not exactly the same, there already exists a selection mode which uses a curve that sticks to the 3D mesh. Or you can use the Pick Tool or the "Autopick" function to select individual volumes in the viewport.

Or do you mean selecting disconnected parts(volumes) of a model and applying a mask to those? You already can fill disconnected volumes with freeze (via the Paint Room Freeze menu), and then use that as a mask...

Or do you mean put the Freeze functionality from the Paint Room also into the Sculpt Room?

• Reputable Contributor

Not sure what you are talking about. You mean you would make a selection using a 3D cube or sphere instead of a 2D lasso? If so, although not exactly the same, there already exists a selection mode which uses a curve that sticks to the 3D mesh. Or you can use the Pick Tool or the "Autopick" function to select individual volumes in the viewport.

Or do you mean selecting disconnected parts(volumes) of a model and applying a mask to those? You already can fill disconnected volumes with freeze (via the Paint Room Freeze menu), and then use that as a mask...

Or do you mean put the Freeze functionality from the Paint Room also into the Sculpt Room?

I thought he meant Freezing in Voxel Mode, like you can in Surface mode. Maybe Andrew can do this, using the "Depth Limit" control in the E-Panel, and simply treat the Freeze selection the same way the HIDE tool currently works. The HIDE tool both hides and freezes. A Freeze tool would only freeze.

I really wish Andrew would try to mirror as many of the Surface mode brushes to Voxel mode and try to mimic the brush behavior as much as possible, because sometimes it's nice to sculpt in Voxel mode, and there should be more consistency between the modes. It's kind of like Andrew is treating Voxel mode the way he has the Tweak Room. There is no consistency between the tools in the Tweak Room and similar tools elsewhere in the app. The transform gizmos (in the Tweak room) are completely different and grossly outdated, plus, you can't select more than one object at a time...making posing of a character/creature almost impossible, if it has multiple meshes. For example, you cannot select the eyes, tongue and head simultaneously, just to scale, or rotate the head.

I really would like to see the Tweak Room tools moved to the Paint Room and just scrap the separate room, altogether. It would help streamline the UI and reduce the confusion for new users. In the Paint room, put a new section at the bottom of the Tool Panel to place the tools from the Tweak Room, and add the brushes + Transform tool and Pose tool, from Surface mode to them.

• Like 2

• Contributor

Congrats for the release.

Comparing V4.1 and V4.5, it appears 4.5 brush response is about 3-4 times slower, very shoppy with large textures (4k). This seems to be dependent on underneath topology (working on a low poly model), ie: the brush is shoppy over one triangle and smoother on the next one, while being slower overall. Makes it impossible to paint at 4k for me.

The same model with the same 4k texture size in V4.1 works fine, so back to 4.1 for now.

Hope you can improve this as the new features are awesome.

Cheers,

Franck.

My config: dual Xeon quad cores, 32 GB ram, GTX 770 4GB.

I think i have the same feeling here.....

• Advanced Member

What I mean is actually having a 3d volumetric shape that will act as a marquee selection on a voxel object layer, so that any sculpting will be clipped to within the borders of that marquee volume.  I think it would probably work best in Voxel mode and it would open up a lot workflow possibilities that would be difficult to implement in non voxel sculpting software (zbrush/mudbox/etc.) 

The way I was envisioning it...the marquee shape could be a basic primitive shape like a cube or a sphere, but it would be more powerful if it were editable like the freeform shapes or with the move tool.  Of course, the volume would have to be constrained to certain polycount/density (maybe 100k polys) while still retaining it's usefulness.  As I think about it, the Hide tool is probably the closest, but then you can't see the hidden part and the masked off section wouldn't be quite as precise or as easily edited.

Perhaps something where you can use a volume to 'ghost' out anything outside the borders of the 3d Marquee selection object of a voxel object...so you can still kind of see it, but it will act as though it is hidden/but still visible like with the 'ghosting' effect.  Right now you can only ghost out entire layers.

I think AbnRanger kind of got the functionality I'm proposing.  Of course, the selection should be editable/movable in realtime.

Not sure it's easy or not, but the functionality seems to be there for the most part already.  Also, not sure if this is the time or place as there are a ton of more pressing matters to address first.   

• Contributor

Oh ok, thanks for clarifying!

Yes, I think your idea would be useful for sure.

Like all feature requests it should be added in Mantis and Trello, because then Andrew can look at it and think about it.

There are many feature requests that he gets which are difficult and time-consuming to implement, but also there are other feature requests which he can make easily and quickly. It is best to give him a big list to choose from and then he can plan out his time more effectively. He can for example finish several easy ones in a few days while also slowly working on difficult ones for weeks or months at the same time. I also think that he wants to stay excited about his work, so he likes to choose projects that interest him. That's also why he might set aside some more difficult requests. I still think though that giving him a list of possibilities is good. Who knows, maybe he will be interested in your idea and at the same time it might be easy for him to implement. It's always worthwhile to let him know about it! :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

It looks like the cutoff tool doesn't work when you have ghosting turned on in voxel mode.  Is this a known issue or is it a bug?  I have gotten it to kind of work by hitting the 'g' key positioning the pointer, hitting 'g' again, start the cut, hit 'g' again, position to the end of the cut, hit 'g' again and then finish the cut.  Or am I doing something wrong?  Thanks,  :)

• Contributor

Thats normal.

If you want to cut through ghosted objects, you have to swith the Ghosted Volumes acting.

Basicly it is - Dont Pick Dont Act. What you need is Act but dont Pick or Pick and Act.

You find it in the top row.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • Reputable Contributor

After the latest Substance Painter update I decided to load it up. Its been awhile since I have used it and the first thing I noticed was a new tab... called Smart Materials. After all the effort 3DC went through to pick a non taken name...

2015-08-21%2015_30_16-New%20notification

I think Andrew decided right before the official 4.5 release to change the name from PBR Materials to Smart Materials....which dDo was already using. The rationale is that in this new PBR tech, "Smart Materials" is just a generic title or description...sort of like UNBIASED or BIASED rendering describes nature of a render engine. It just doesn't accurately describe what they are or do, under any other term. So, I don't think any vendor should be offended by the other using the term. Now, Zbrush uses proprietary names for many of it's tools....ie, Z-Remesher, Z-Spheres, etc. Because the Z is unique to them, they would have a legitimate IP claim, if 3D Coat or Mudbox used the same name for a similar tool.

Likewise, Quixel could have named their materials something like "Q-Smart" materials, but the generic word SMART...isn't unique or proprietary in nature.

• Like 1