3DCoat Forums

From Voxel to inGame Mesh

AgeT

Hello,

I am pretty new to this 3d stuff , and im currently trying to make a little game in Unity.

I modeled an object in Voxel mode, paint it in 3dcoat too and then use it in unity. How can i do this ? 

I really dont know how to proceed to make this voxel usable in unity , also with the polycount that has to fairly low...

any help apreciated :D

Thanks

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

What are you using the mesh for? Will it be animated or distorted in some manner? If so, retopoing it in some form as the others have said is v.important.

If it's not going to be animated or be distorted, another method is to use your painted mesh, just as it is, within Unity, and get hold of a vertex shader that you can apply as a material. If you export from the paint room as an fbx file it should bring your painted colours with and they can be displayed with a vertex shader.

However generally the workflow the others have described is the best one in terms of results, efficiency, flexibility & performance

• Like 1

Hey, thanks for all your replies. It will only be animated as for rotation, no distortion! 

What I was wondering is how can i get the Autopo tool to get me some usefull result ? 

I need a max 800 poly mesh but all im getting with 800 polys is a blob. Also , sometimes i dont get a result at all...

And if i get a result i am not gettign the desired polycount! I entered 800 and I am getting like 42 faces ?!

• Like 1

Sure ! Here you can see the autopo settings with a desired polycount of 800 , then the actual model in the middle, and two autopo tries in the top right  corner. As you can see the verts/faces are areound 200 , and nowhere near the desired 800 ? am i missing something ?

post-39368-0-94959000-1433109467_thumb.p

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Hmm. I'm not particularly experienced with autopo but I think you'll struggle to get a good result with what is effectively a hard surface model. It doesn't look like an easy model to place guides either (did you try?) On the upside it looks like a good model to practice some manual retopology on (see videos above).

Additionally I think you could get a decent model with a count like 5000 polygons just using the decimate command under geometry. These days computers handle higher vertex/ poly counts well it seems in game engines. If you're not going to be animating or distorting it in Unity that sort of vertex count shouldn't be an issue, even across the web (my scenes regularly run into 350k triangles+ and perform fine even on older systems). But if you want to learn the proper workflow and have more flexibility the retopo route is way to go.

• Like 1

Hey,

I tought about the hard surface being a problem, so i might get my hands on manual retopo! If i simply export the voxel as obj with a polycount of 3000 i get a decent result but i really need a sub-1000 model as i want to run the game on my phone :/

Ill get back woth the result !

• Like 1

• Contributor

So here is what i ended up with.

Is there a way to check if the retopo is completed ? Or if there are any holes left etc...

Thanks

See the Retopo->Close Holes command. If polycount changes after the operation, it means you had some holes left on your model. :)

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

So here is what i ended up with.

Is there a way to check if the retopo is completed ? Or if there are any holes left etc...

Thanks

Good job

Hey,

I tought about the hard surface being a problem, so i might get my hands on manual retopo! If i simply export the voxel as obj with a polycount of 3000 i get a decent result but i really need a sub-1000 model as i want to run the game on my phone :/

Ill get back woth the result !

To let you know I build a lot of my 300k scenes to the original samsung galaxy tab 10.1 and my old samsung google nexus (oooold hardware!) & runs just fine

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Thanks!

Yes I know the device can handle more but there will be other, more important and detailed objects so I got to cut the less importants polys off!

Absolutely. Just wanted you to know that I spent many hours pre-emptively optimising my game in terms of poly-count when in fact could have been better spent elsewhere. With your other considerations your approach is a sensible one and is definitely better than the other way round. Good luck!

• Like 1

Okay so I removed n-gons, still crashed. Tought maybe the retopo was incomplete due to removal so I hit close openings. Created a new ngon. Removed it again and same procedure until no more ngons were created. Tried to bake, immediate crash...