3DCoat Forums

What is the best way to export "Smart Materials" texture to Maya with no PBR support

Daniel Tynan

What is the best way to export and set up "Smart Materials" texture to Maya with no PBR support?   For example I have a metal object and want to get as close as I can to the beautiful PBR smartmaterials results that I see in 3D-coat.   

If someone could write a quick tutorial on this that would be awesome!  For now I'm just going to have to experiment a lot in Maya to try and get same results.

This is for production so it I don't have much time to experiment.

Thanks!

Daniel

I took a Blinn shader in Maya and assigned color to color, spec color to spec color and of course the normal tangent space map to bump.   Now I still have a "Glossiness" export map which I don't know where to assign to since the Blinn shader only has spec settings and not glossy.   Unless it should be assigned to reflection??   I'm getting closer but still not as good as the PBR preview in 3D-coat.

• Contributor

For Maya 2014 and above, you can use Shaderfx to build a PBR shader. Render realtime in the viewport with Viewport 2.0

For Maya 2013 and earlier:

If you are using mentalray to render, don't use a blinn, instead use the "mia" shaders. Those shaders are more physically-based.

For Maya 2015 and above mentalray also has new "mila" shaders which are PBR.

If you are not using mentalray, then other rendering solutions like Vray also offer a physically-based approach.

Physically based shader (using ShaderFX):

http://www.shaderfx.com/2014/11/kostas-gialitakis-created-physically.html?m=1

Creating a physically based shader using ShaderFx:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2016/ENU/Maya/files/GUID-13B0F0A6-39D5-4668-A722-DD743877D2E3-htm.html

Thanks for the replies.  Turns out the client is going to use Arnold renderer. . so until I get my hands on that plugin they will have to handle it. . but thanks for the suggestions.  .yeah I'm using Maya 2015 which doesn't yet have PBR native support.

• 11 months later...
  • Reputable Contributor

In general, when exporting to 3D Render engines....not game engines....you will want to try this typical setup. Doesn't matter if it is Max, Maya, C4D, Lightwave, etc....or which 3rd party render.

Base Material for Render engine (each one has a default material):

Color Map = Diffuse/Color channel

Glossiness Map = Reflection Glossiness Channel

Specular Color Map = Reflection Color Channel

And then, of course, your Normal Map/Displacement map goes into the same channels as any other. Metalness is not usually needed, but you could could use if you have a multi-layered/Composite Material, where you could for example put a paint shader on one layer and metal shader on another. When exporting from 3D Coat there is an option to export metalness alpha, to use for masking purposes.

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

See if the architectural/advanced shaders work. They have a metalness slot in Softimage2012, anyway, but it's not straightforward to get it to work properly without delving around Google for clues (I can recreate PBR texturing in SI2012 Mental Ray so I'd have thought Maya2014 should have similar capability).

Edited by Tarby
Being more specific