3DCoat Forums

That was hilarious (Autodesk Aquires XSI)

dgrigo

• Advanced Member

1. They're interested in new tech. Doesn't mean they have to improve or change the old tech. Haha.

2. They want more userbase this is business after all.

Regarding selling 3dc.

700 fish at 210US. Even after 3.0 maybe double or triple userbase. 3000fish = 630000US gross profit in how many years....less cost of development. Plus with increased userbase and popularity you fight against software pirates and lose a lot of profit. Those fish won't last forever.

Sell 3dc for a cool 2 millionUS. Live off the interest and do some more cool appz part time, enjoy life....

People hate autodesk too much. Its not that evil. I dont hear hate posts from many autodesk users. Mostly non autodesk users really hate autodesk. Lol!

edit:

didn't anyone read that avid actually was bleeding out money? They were trying to get rid of xsi and autodesk grabbed the proposal. If newtek had 35million they could've bought it. And thinking about it xsi is only worth 35million. There's so few xsi fish for them to sell it that low. Lol

Wow, some of you people really missed my point.

First of all, not everything is black and white, merger and acquisitions, nor money. At least in the short run, since all those come together more or less in the long run.

Heck, EVERYTHING is about money in the long run.

Secondly, Max hasn't re-written it's code in YEARS! Thats why the program is bloated, and thats why we have 3 different version of Max as opposed to 1 with everything in it. Even some of the Vets in the scene claim this.

I mean look at Adobe...did it improve PS at all? No, but apparently CS4 is the next best thing since a re-written code.

I explained everything which wouldn't pass by a person's head, clearly and firmly. I don't need to mentions things such as User base, Finance, and other old motto's which the industry is based upon, heck, I don't even need to mentioned that Max is bloated because that is painfully obvious.

The 4 years rewrite model is surely great but i don't think this usually happens in 3d programs field.

Look at apps like Lw. it has never been totally rewritten since at least version 6.0 (and also in that case i think it was only partially rewritten)

I read somewhere in the forums that also Maya core is not that recent. Between Maya and XSI the newest is surely XSI.

however : i Think AD will mantain also XSI for a while (the userbase is just too large to totally drop it suddenly) but they could have bought it to make it slowly die .(bummer!)

Maya is too well known and userbase is just too large to drop it, period.

It is a well known brand, even marketing wise, and it is widely adopted from almost all major production houses within the movie industry.

so for XSI, AD could actually make it die or evolve into a direction geared towards game production, TV production,

or other areas for example.

IMO Maya will become more and more the Photoshop of 3D content creation, especially if it will evolve a bit considering innovations brought from XSI and other "competing" packages.

Regarding selling 3dc.

700 fish at 210US. Even after 3.0 maybe double or triple userbase. 3000fish = 630000US gross profit in how many years....less cost of development. Plus with increased userbase and popularity you fight against software pirates and lose a lot of profit. Those fish won't last forever.

Using your figures.

630000US or sell for 1 Million(Your first figure)... and that's just for 3000 users! It does not take a genius to see that if 3DC takes off, even moderately... selling it would be madness... I rest my case. :blink:

• Advanced Member
Using your figures.

630000US or sell for 1 Million(Your first figure)... and that's just for 3000 users! It does not take a genius to see that if 3DC takes off, even moderately... selling it would be madness... I rest my case. :blink:

700users now since 3dc launched maybe more than 2 years. you expect 3000 users instantly? :rolleyes::blink: and the remaining 370000US is no small fry if you base ii on my "first figure". and you forgot the cost of a software developer :lol: :lol:

cg community is small. its not made up of 50000 users of X software.

zbrush, mudbox, etc will always have a chunk of the pie. and many use pirated programs.

If andrew sells its ok. if not that's ok too.

• Advanced Member
Only 1 year :)

That's cool! I hope you reach +1000 by the end of this year. Voxel painting is getting so good I can't wait for a stable version.

I'm definitely upgrading no matter what. sell or dont sell to corporate types but I would prefer newtek to buy 3dc.