3DCoat Forums

Bleeding edges of color into UV map to prevent seams showing

arumiat

Go to solution Solved by Tony Nemo,

• Advanced Member

So in a recent project I found that I was getting my seams showing within Unity

post-38412-0-94447300-1433666295_thumb.p

Suggestions on the Unity forums were to disable mipmapping and this definitely improved things but the seams are still visible if you're looking for them. A particularly helpful person explained that it's better to bleed your UVs into the surrounding black areas. Because I'm seeing the seams with mipmapping turned off it's due to texture compression and some bleed of black into the UV space. They suggested to use the Xnormal dilate plugin or Flaming Pear solidify plugin.

My question is whether there's a method in 3DC to do this?

I think I also need to think more carefully about where to place my seams, although sometimes it seems completely unavoidable but to place them on an exposed area.

Thanks,

T

• Advanced Member

On installing 4.5.03 I noticed that padding is set to 256, - I have left it at this.

Something related, - I autopo'd and autoseamed a model yesterday. I painted it and despite having many many small UV islands was pleasantly surprised by the lack of visible seams in either 3DC or Unity. If the software works so well to hide seams, why do we work so hard to manually place seams in hard to see places before unwrapping?

T

• Like 1