3DCoat Forums

Sym Copy (retopo room) refuses to copy whole layer.

Go to solution Solved by Carlosan,

• Advanced Member

I'm using the button in the Retopo Objects window to make a symmetrical copy of the layer.

- Symmetry is active before pressing button.

- Only that layer is visible (and selected)

Here's the result:
post-28483-0-40130000-1434046871_thumb.j

I can't use virtual mirror mode, as that applies symmetry to everything, and I have layers in this file that cannot have symmetry applied to them.

It obviously knows sort of what to do... but why is it deciding to just ignore parts of my mesh?

I'm running 4.5.02

• Advanced Member

Update!

So I managed to get a symmetrical copy of the geo by cloning the faces into an empty layer, and then using the symmetry copy.

But... well, see for yourself. Aside from my UV's getting totally busted, there's also something odd happening with the seams I had placed, and not getting transferred over properly.

post-28483-0-03674900-1434047719_thumb.j

I've experienced this seam<>symcopy<>noseam thing before when dealing with meshes that are mostly sym-safe, but have chunks that aren't, and it majorly screwed up my bakes. A part of me is hoping that won't happen again but I'm pretty sure it will.

Edited by Gary Dave

• Advanced Member

Another update!

Interestingly enough, though maybe not related. If I go to File > Export Retopo Object, and import the file it gives me into another program, I get some "ERROR - invalid vertex index" window, and nothing imports. The same happens if I use Retopo > Export.

The only way I can get my retopo mesh out, is either via the Export Selected option, or the Export Separate Retopo Objects option.

For now, I will deal with the retopo in another software, and use 3dc for the bake only.

• Advanced Member

Doesn't really count as solving this issue, but finishing the retopo in 3ds max went pretty smoothly. I basically did the same stuff I wanted to do in 3dc. I mirrored the geo that I wanted symmetry on, attached the remaining non-symmetrical pieces. Exported it out as one object, and used that for the baking in 3dc.

A few normal seam issues, but on the whole pretty satisfied.

Here's the baked version in unity:

post-28483-0-61082900-1434123594_thumb.j

Maybe I'll have time to do a video on the weekend, but I've done similar stuff to this before in 3dc and ran into issues. There's just something about a "semi-symmetrical" workflow that it doesn't like.

One theory is due to the fact that I create one half first, and then select the "not to be mirrored" geo, and stick it in a new layer, I think 3dc gets confused about the UV seams I create afterwards when using this approach (as seen in an earlier picture I posted in this thread)

Edited by Gary Dave

Sym Copy (retopo room) refuses to copy whole layer = yes, confirmed

Retopo Menu

Symmmetry =  on

Virtual Mirror Mode = on

Apply mirror to current layer

Virtual Mirror Mode = off

Refuses to copy whole layer = yes, confirmed

Reported, ty !

0001919: Sym Copy refuses to copy whole layer

• 10 months later...
  • Advanced Member

Wow, old thread! If 4.5.37 is a beta version then I cannot confirm (also not even sure if I still have the project file in this thread).

I would guess this is related to the recent-ish symmetry issues in the retopo room that I was having and that Andrew has fixed a few versions ago though.