3DCoat Forums

What is the workflow to add a normal map and diffuse map to model in paint room?

3DNut

Go to solution Solved by Tony Nemo,

Hello,

I would like to paint additional PBR details on a model that already has a normal map and a diffuse map. How do I set up the model in the paint room so that my normal map and diffuse map are applied, allowing me to paint PBR materials on a new layer?

Thanks for you help,

Bryson

Here is my current workflow:

Open 3D-Coat or File>New
Splashscreen>Paint UV Mapped Mesh (Per-Pixel)
Select Folder icon and select object file.
"Import Object for Per Pixel Painting" dialogue (leave defaults except change texture width and height to 2048) and press Ok. Note: There is no option to import any maps during that process.
Once in the Paint room, File>Import gives no options that I can see for importing textures or specifying which ones to apply to the model.

Are you saying that in order to import and apply textures to my model from this point, I have to create a temporary smart material to apply to the model via the smart materials editor and assing images and then I paint over the model with other smart materials?

What might be most helpful to me is the actual workflow that you use to do this. I am a new user and I don't fully understand how 3D-Coat works. Up until now, everything has seemed pretty straight forward but I must admit that using a smart material to do this sounds somewhat convoluted....but if that is the way that it is done, I want to learn the right way to do it so I am not forced into using another program like Substance Painter. It is always nice to have multiple options.

Thanks for taking the time to help me.

Bryson

• Contributor
  • Solution

When you have your OBJ imported and want the textures you already created (to modify them for instance), go to the Texture menu on the top bar and import them. You don't need to go through smart materials. When I do this, the image does not always cover the model but when rotated, unpainted areas show up so that one could get to all areas. I don't know what causes this but my objective is to modify my color and normal maps, which I am able to do.