3DCoat Forums

Help needed Mudbox to 3d coat

neom315

Hello everyone.

I have just start playing around with 3d coa and i most admit i love it, but i have need help on my pipeline, i am sure i am doing something totally wrong.

I am working on my models in mubdox leave them at maximum res and then send them to 3d coat for texturing, import is amazingly long to import the models, then once inside there if i try to make a new material with a simple color texture to start painting (only in the color slot) painting is incredible slow, i would say un usable, so i guess i am importing the model in the incorrect way, there is anyone who can help me

understand whats the correct way to do it? i import at maximum levels cause i need the displaced models coming from my sculpting of course.

Thank you

P.s.

i am on an esacore with 24 gb of ram and a gforce 980, running 3d coat dx64

• Reputable Contributor

Hello everyone.

I have just start playing around with 3d coa and i most admit i love it, but i have need help on my pipeline, i am sure i am doing something totally wrong.

I am working on my models in mubdox leave them at maximum res and then send them to 3d coat for texturing, import is amazingly long to import the models, then once inside there if i try to make a new material with a simple color texture to start painting (only in the color slot) painting is incredible slow, i would say un usable, so i guess i am importing the model in the incorrect way, there is anyone who can help me

understand whats the correct way to do it? i import at maximum levels cause i need the displaced models coming from my sculpting of course.

Thank you

P.s.

i am on an esacore with 24 gb of ram and a gforce 980, running 3d coat dx64

The Paint Room is primarily for working on low-polygon meshes....typically imported from other apps for texture painting. It's not designed to import uber-hi res models. However, if you import (or create one from scratch) a model into the Sculpt Room...it is designed to work with Hi Res meshes...and you have the option to use the Paint Room's painting tools to paint on that dense mesh, using what's referred to as "Vertex Painting." 3D Coat stores color and glossiness info in the vertices, rather than on a UV mapped model.

What you want to do is export your low poly version from Mudbox and bake normal or displacement from that his res version, in Mudbox. Once you have your low poly mesh in the Paint Room of 3D Coat, go to the TEXTURES Menu > IMPORT > NORMAL MAP or DISPLACMENT map. If you are working with Displacement, then when you go to 3D Coat's FILE menu to import, you probably want to choose MIcroVertex rather than PPP (Per Pixel Painting). It's geared for working with Displacement maps, more so than PPP.

If your model already has UV's applied in Mudbox, then they will come over during import. Just make sure KEEP UV's is selected in the IMPORT dialog...not Auto-UV.