3DCoat Forums

Re-unwrap selection only?

Gary Dave

Go to solution Solved by Javis,

• Advanced Member

I was wondering if it's possible to only perform an unwrap on a selected shell/piece of geo/island?

I know we can select shells and then perform any number of the unwrapping algorithms, unfortunately that doesn't work for this scenario of mine.

The shell I need to re-unwrap has had seams placed which will split it into two islands. As luck would have it, this is the last island I was sorting out (rotating correctly) and it would be a major bummer to have to perform the unwrap on everything just to get this island to update to the fact that it's now been split.

I also tried the "Update Islands" function, "You need to update islands to split or connect existing islands" which by the description sounded like what I needed, but my island is simply not splitting. The seam I've put in should split it, and hovering over the mesh in the 3d viewport does indeed show that the UV's are split correctly.

Any ideas?

• Solution

Hi!

Yes, this is possible. The Update Islands function is close, it will update the seams, but nothing else. You want to unwrap using one of the methods, like GUUV, ABF, etc.. Just make sure you have a selection first of course.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

aha!

I knew I wasn't going crazy, I'm getting the same issue again.

Here's a little video to show what I'm doing. There's no audio unfortunately as it's very noisy here right now, but here's the steps:

1 - Showing the UV island I will split. (I've put it in its own layer to make it easier to see the chunk in the 3d view)

2 - Making the seam, which splits the island into 2

3 - Selecting island in UV preview

4 - Performing a few unwrap functions.

The island just does not update.

Oh, and sorry for the super low-res, I hadn't realised I was recording in 480p until it had already uploaded.

Edit

Before, simply shutting down and re-launching 3dc seemed to work, but not this time. The only thing that worked was using "planar" mapping on the selected island, the unwrap itself was horrible but it at least split the pieces into 2, so I was then able to perform ABF mapping to them.

Edited by Gary Dave