3DCoat Forums

multiple rooms open at one time? (or another alternative)

Marc Wakefield

• Advanced Member

Hey Coaters!

Long time no speak. ;-)

I have been stacked with work and haven't been by in a while.

As a long time user of 3D Coat, I should probably know the answer to this question but I don't so here goes:

Is there any way to have two rooms open side by side?

Why would I want this?

I import a low poly model to the paint room (Mixamo 'Adobe' Fuse base or Makehuman base) which has its face polygroup previously conformed to a high poly 3D face scan using the wonderful WrapX.

I import the aforementioned high poly face scan to the Surface / Voxel room.

I create the retopo object from the low-poly model in the paint room.

I then switch to, switch back, switch to, switch back, etc..... between paint and Surface / Voxel mode to move the face scan in place so I can bake a normal map to the low poly object.

It works really well and it is pretty fast when compared to doing it in Zbrush or Blender.... but it could be faster and completely amazing if I could work across both rooms while seeing them at the same time, side by side.

Failing that, is there any way to move the Voxel / Surface object in the paint room? It is already visible.... 

This method is similar to the 'project all' command in Z-Brush but could potentially be a lot quicker.

• Reputable Contributor

While I am here asking questions; does anyone else experience issues painting on the normal map layer with the depth brush after baking?

I'm not sure why...it's something I asked Andrew about before and never got a clear answer....but for some reason, 3D Coat locks the normal maps that are merged into the Paint Room as a result of baking in the Retopo Room. Not sure, but I think imported Nmaps are the same way. Some tools work on them, but it's very limited. I think the Eraser tool and some other work, but it largely prevents modification of the NM's on that layer. To add detail, create a new layer and have at it. Just know that 3D Coat heavily restricts editing of baked or imported NMaps.

• Advanced Member

Interestingly, I am able to edit the normal map using the colour brush.

It paints at 0 (flat) and will also blur. This kind-of solves my problem but it would be great to edit them properly like any other map.

I am glad to know it is not just an issue I was having. I have ignored it mostly and just 'got on with it' as I do with most things.

• 2 months later...
  • Advanced Member

Hello everyone! I feel like I only come here to look around and ask questions now. ;-)

Anyway. Is there a way to have the voxel / surface object show up in the tweak room?

Many thanks in advance.

I am now looking to manually tweak the face of a low poly template human mesh to match the position of an imported face scan. Kind of the reverse of the above.

I know I can import both into the sculpt room and do it that way but I was hoping a simple 'show voxels' tick box existed in the tweak room. Does it? Maybe I am just not seeing the wood for the trees.... ;-)

Edited by Marc Wakefield