3DCoat Forums

Auto-Retopology symmetry workflow question.

3DNut

Go to solution Solved by 3DNut,

I just went to auto-retopologize a model by opening 3D-Coat and at the splash screen choosing Perform Retopology and then choosing Perform auto-retopology. I am greeted with an AutopoParams window that says:

"Symmetry may very essentially improve quadrangulation quality, so never ignore this option if you model is close to be symmetric. You should set up symmetry parameters before the auto-retopo...."

Well, my model is symmetrical and I would very much like to enable symmetry on the X axis, but at this stage I can't access any menus and pressing S doesn't do anything. I know from watching 3D-Coat auto-retopology tutorials that there used to be an option to specify the symmetry in this dialogue, but I am totally confused as to how I am supposed to follow the instructions and set up my symmetry parameters before I auto-retopo.

What am I missing?

In the stage where I paint density, I was able to enable symmetry, though I am not sure if it is too late at that point to factor in to the algorithm. I think that is confusing for new users and probably ought to be addressed.

Edited by 3DNut

3DNut:

You can also just import your model as a voxel sculpt (from the start up menu) - by clicking the folder icon when you choose "Voxel Sculpting".

While you are still in "Sculpt Mode" but before you have launched AUTOPO, just hit "S" and setup symmetry to work in the proper plane.  Leave it on when you select the kind of AUTOPO (from the right click menu) that you want.

Of course, this method insists that you voxelize your model right from the start.

Greg Smith

Thanks for the alternative workflow Greg. Do you know if enabling symmetry AFTER leaving AutoParams and moving to the Paint Density phase is how the Auto-Retopology workflow is supposed to work?

• Solution

Alright, I have confirmed that enabling symmetry after leaving AutoParams does work...it is just a confusing dialogue because it makes it sound like you must enable symmetry before pressing OK, which is apparently not the case. Symmetry can be enabled as soon as you are given the option to paint density areas.