3DCoat Forums

tree321 WIP-s

tree321

Still working on this one.I started this about the same time as the koala but have been doing a lot of hard hard surface modeling lately.Just wanted to post something.

tree321,

I just browsed through this topic and just wanted to say how very impressive your WIPs are. It makes me envious because I see how much talent I lack. :blink:

But please keep those posts coming ... I really enjoy seeing such skill at work !

Cheers,

Andreas

• Contributor

Thanks to all for the feedback,I really do appreciate the comments.

Andrew, I will work on the areas you pointed out. Thank you for suggestions.

GED, the hair was done using alpha stamps and some freehand brush work.

Andreas_C, We all have some level of talent within us, it just takes time to develop it.It may take many years of practice before we are satisfied with our own work.I'm still not satisfied with my work after years and years of creating.I'm not sure I ever will be.Sometimes I have to remind myself that it's not always the end result that matters but the joy of the process getting there.Thanks for the kind words.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Contributor

WARNING:ENDANGERED SPECIES!

Gorillas are the largest of the living primates. They are ground-dwelling herbivores that inhabit the forests of Africa. Gorillas are divided into two species and (still under debate as of 2008) either four or five subspecies. The DNA of gorillas is 98%99% identical to that of a human,and they are the next closest living relatives to humans after the two chimpanzee species.

Gorillas live in tropical or subtropical forests. Although their range covers a small percentage of Africa, gorillas cover a wide range of elevations. The Mountain Gorilla inhabits the Albertine Rift montane cloud forests of the Virunga Volcanoes, ranging in altitude from 2225 to 4267 m (7300-14000 ft). Lowland Gorillas live in dense forests and lowland swamps and marshes as low as sea level.

Both species of gorilla are endangered, and have been subject to intense poaching for a long time. Threats to gorilla survival include habitat destruction and the bush meat trade. In 2004 a population of several hundred gorillas in the Odzala National Park, Republic of Congo was essentially wiped out by the Ebola virus. A 2006 study published in Science concluded that more than 5,000 gorillas may have died in recent outbreaks of the Ebola virus in central Africa. The researchers indicated that in conjunction with commercial hunting of these apes creates "a recipe for rapid ecological extinction". Conservation efforts include the Great Ape Survival Project, a partnership between the United Nations Environment Program and the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, and also an international treaty, the Agreement on the Conservation of Gorillas and Their Habitats, concluded under UNEP-administered Convention on Migratory Species. The Gorilla Agreement is the first legally binding instrument exclusively targeting Gorilla conservation and came into effect on 1 June 2008.

Source:Wikipedia

I need more shaders

Edit:something with more color

post-913-1233608893_thumb.jpg

post-913-1233608920_thumb.jpg

post-913-1233608941_thumb.jpg

post-913-1233608961_thumb.jpg

post-913-1236372936_thumb.jpg

• Contributor

Trombone

Something quick and dirty not very precise but it was fun to do.

Tools used:Curve tool for basic shape, transpose with ring for details as well as primitive Booleans and text tool.About 2 hours work.

Rendered in 3d coat, composite photoshop.

Been working on some figurative sculpts needed something less mind intensive. :blink:

post-913-1233988610_thumb.jpg

• Contributor

Home made guitar

Testing voxel hard surface sculpt some more.

Some of the challenges I encountered was with the cutting of shapes with the current e-panel tools.I would like to see a bezier style curve creation tool.(see pick)Also to be able to draw curve shape and manipulate it after drawing it.Right now there is no way to get smooth flowing shapes easily,but I know it is a work in progress so I am patient.

The biggest challenge was in manipulating the various components .With the current manipulator it is very time consuming and difficult to move around objects.See vox tree pic.Adjusting the manipulator around right now is as time consuming as moving objects in place.If nothing else it would make a world of difference if you could snap the manipulator to wherever you clicked on the screen.(see pic)

I have no doubt it will all be ironed out in the end.

Anybody got an amp I can borrow? :)

post-913-1234079655_thumb.jpg

post-913-1234079700_thumb.jpg

post-913-1234099153_thumb.jpg

• Contributor

[

Some of the challenges I encountered was with the cutting of shapes with the current e-panel tools.I would like to see a bezier style curve creation tool.

I second that so much :) ...it is very needed.

Draw with closed spline is completely holding back the E panel.

Nice guitar by the way! the voxtree is scary...

cheers B)

• Contributor

A World Bound in the Clutches of Evil

Something a little different for me, not really my style but it was fun to do.

I started out testing the new surface tool clay and ended up with this.I really like the surface clay tool for building up shapes quickly,it's a great addition to the brushes.

This piece is around 2.5 mil. tris.

Shaders used-Bronze,Silver1, silver2, car paint and gold.

Rar file is turntable movie.Any problems playing use VLC media player or download h264 codec.

post-913-1234264639_thumb.jpg

creepy__1_.rar

• Contributor
Well done!

I always like your art!

You inspire me to add some cool shaders for skin and rust (but need tiled textures).

I can recommend you to add small details using Gum brush, material with red skin and cube mapping enabled.

Gum works good for details as you said.Don't know if I'll go further on this piece, but who knows.

post-913-1234296451_thumb.jpg

• Contributor

Had to make the head to go with the hand.Working on some other stuff. Maybe I'll come back to this.I don't know.

Prince of Darkness

o ye who sit upon the thrown of darkness and cast thy shadow on the Light that shines ye who shroud the truth with your lies how can ye escape the wrath to come and who shall come to your rescue thy ways were great in thy days and o how thou didst prosper the nations fell down to you and worshiped your name but now thy riches have turned to dust and the glory that thou sought after has come to naught the mighty pharaohs of egypt did seek your guidance and the kings of babylon your approval but they shall gaze at you with wonder as they watch your fall then shall ye be cast into outer darkness chains shall bind ye and there shall be no escape

It's not meant to be funny.

post-913-1234355287_thumb.jpg

post-913-1234355312_thumb.jpg

post-913-1234355325_thumb.jpg

post-913-1234355344_thumb.jpg

post-913-1234355354_thumb.jpg

• Contributor

Wow! You did the hardest parts already...hand,wings and head...the rest will flow with no strain at all.

I like the character a lot!

(I don"t feel anything negative out of it tough as opposed to the text which seem to imply something

about the negative forces in action in the world...but see this as a compliment ;) ;I don't like negative art anyway.)

To me negative art isn't about demons and monsters but more about cheap characters made to make fast money,

or female characters which are displayed as meat to make lonely videogamers horny(Lara Croft doesn't count..hehe)

If the character is ludical and inspire awe even if it's a dark evil creature then it's not negative art.

TV and Newspapers are the deities of Negative art.

I think it's a very beautiful Prince Of Darkness.

• Contributor

Thanks all

erklaerbar:Well, I really like your dragon head and if you decide to do the full figure I'm sure it will be just as impressive.I tried doing the wings a couple of different ways including using the E-panel line tools, but finally settled on using the curve tool.You were right on with drawing out the bony structure first then filling in between.But use the curve tool instead of spike. I was also able to use the curve tool to fill in between the bones by squashing the spheres down and scaling them to fit.(use green and blue)After they were laid down I used the move tool to shape.Good luck.If you come up with a better way please share.Take care.

Artman: I agree with you on the aspects of "negative art" there are certainly enough images out there that convey a sense of doom and gloom in the world.I approached this subject from a Biblical perspective, having done my share of research on it.We may not all share the same beliefs but it's important as artist to convey a message at times to go along with technically sound art. Just creating objects becomes boring after awhile doesn't it?Sometimes it's fun just to create without any real meaning to the work, other times it's very cathartic to share with the world what's inside our hearts.I hope not to offend anybody by what I create or speak, but you can't please everybody all the time.I learned a long time ago to create to please myself (and hopefully God) and if others enjoy it great.

When I started sculpting back in the stone age :lol: I did mostly monsters and dragons they were really fun because there's so much flexibility there to let your imagination go wild.As time went by I started doing human figures and animals finally specializing in Native American and wildlife bronzes.Every now and then I like to let loose and do a creature or in this case demon.But as a christian I have to approach the subject from a Biblical perspective so as not to glorify the subject itself.I don't want people to misunderstand my meaning behind certain works so it's best to create a story to support the image.

I really like what you've been doing lately and see a lot of creativity there, that's great.I also think it's great to have this community here sharing their work with each other. When I was doing traditional sculpting I oftentimes felt very isolated because you don't find a whole lot of sculptors around the neighborhood. :lol:

The internet has really changed the world and it's wonderful to be able to share our art with so many people instantaneously.

Anyway keep having fun, because creating art should be fun! :)

post-913-1234388733_thumb.jpg

• Contributor

Cuves for bones are the best option indeed.

I,myself got a dragon on ice and here was my formula for wings.

1-Make the inner of the wing on very thick piece without concerning about the backside,

just concentrating on hollowed form of the inner wing.

2-Then....Skin extract. :brush:

3-Cut with E panel.

4-Finally,adding bones along peaks of slopes with curves.

The internet has really changed the world and it's wonderful to be able to share our art with so many people instantaneously.

It's a great privilege and as true as real life encounters,I could be somewhere else and everyone here also.

it brings this sense of gathering in and expression of selves which is very sane motions. :)

..also just to be clear,I didn't meant that your demon was cool and the text negative.

I meant that I felt the text was describing the backdraft of negative forces at work in the world while the demon in itself was a very positive piece of art devoid of any negativity.It just makes peoples want to open 3DCoat and try to make a demon as cool as your.

And while people are doing this they are not anguished,hateful or self-loathing ...while watching TV will drive you to those zones even if no obvious graphical >evilness< is displayed.

(sorry,if it wasn't your goal)

I'm a very religious person (although not Christian) and a person should never be ashamed or concerned about putting

beliefs and heart in creation works.I salute this.

• Contributor

Modern Ceiling fan

More hard surface modeling.

Work flow:Default sphere-transpose with ring selection-split-filled curves for blades-primitive for blade supports-sphere+axial symmetry, detail-shaders.

Work time:Approx.30 mins.

post-913-1234724304_thumb.jpg