3DCoat Forums

2nd UV-set for light map?

ajz3d

• Contributor

Hey guys.

Has anyone found a good workaround to create a 2nd UV-set that can be used for light maps in Unreal Engine? As far as I know, in 3D-Coat a single polygon cannot exist on two UV-sets at the same time.

I'd prefer unwrapping UVs for these kind of maps in 3D-Coat, without involving any 3rd party software.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

• Contributor

On 3ds max and after importing from 3d coat, i add an unwrap modifier and double it on the stack list.

On the second one i just give a different id.

• Like 1

• Contributor

Thank you for your advice Michaelgdrs, but it's not exactly what I asked about. :)

I know how to prepare a UV-set for light maps in other programs. What I hoped for is that maybe someone came up with a workaround or a hack for creating this UV-set inside 3D-Coat, without leaving the program. I think we can all agree that mixing various applications to complete basic tasks is always problematic and adds unnecessary complexity to our workflows.

• Like 2

• Contributor

Ha ha, yes. But it's not that simple, Carlos. ;)

Like I said, in 3D-Coat each polygon can exist only inside one UV-set at most. I need two UV-sets, containing the same polygons, but differently unwrapped.

In other words, I need to somehow copy (not move) all polygons to the second UV-set and perform a separate unwrapping for the light map there.

Edited by ajz3d

• Contributor

yep

uvset 1

retopo export selected

create uvset2

retopo import

bake

helps ?

Sadly no, because it doubles the polycount.

Anyway, I just tried importing an object that has two UV-sets sharing the same polygons (but with different unwrapping), and 3D-Coat simply ignores one of the sets (it imports the second set, but it's empty). So I guess what I ask for is not possible at all in 3DC.

you right

it doubles the polycount

and

importing an object, 3D-Coat simply ignores one of the sets

:(

0001935: Multiple UV maps on single object

Lightmap baking

--------------------------------------------------

but... at Unreal you can generate the 2nd UV channel with the lightmap data. (bGenerateLightmapUVs = checked)

Generate Lightmap UVs set to True and Apply Changes and you will get your second UV Channel

• Like 1

I could have sworn I had a Mantis report for this somewhere.  :ph34r:

IMHO this should be next on the list after layer masks, along with full on UV tile editing (and an option for repeating, to keep the current setting/function).

• Like 2

I guess it's time to pressure Andrew with overwhelming requests for it. It's a big undertaking, and it could take a little while to implement, but I think if Andrew sees a few vocal people he will do it sooner.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 5 years later...
  • Advanced Member

Is this feature currently updated to 3DCoat???

In order to control the lightmap in the game object, we need the ability to recognize and modify UV2 individually, apart from UV1 (general texture).
(Or even if it's not a lightmap, if you need UV3, UV4, etc...)

Although it is possible to automatically generate UV2 maps on game engines such as Unity and Unreal.
Sometimes the result is unwanted quality, or you need to adjust it by hand to optimize the UV placement.

----------------------------------

The following is the problem situation I am facing.

I want to modify the texture of the object to which UV2 is applied
I reloaded it with 3DCoat, but it does not recognize UV1, which was the original texture, and only UV2 is loaded, so the texture cannot be modified.

Edit 01)
Oh there was a feature voting...??
There seems to be no such feature yet, so I have to vote.

hope that this feature will be added later.  ^_^

Edited by Yousung